Menu

what happened with Abeka being not rec?

Mom2toBoyz

Hi,

I bought WTM first edition when I first started homeschooling. I never bought the 2nd edition. The 3rd edition just came in the mail, yea! Ok, what happened between the 1st and the 3rd for Abeka for language? I bought Abeka back then, because WTM recommended it. I think the books said it was exceptional. Now, I don't even see it. I would like to know what happened between then and now? I'm very confused. We don't like rod & staff because there are no workbooks. Abeka is colorful and easy for me. Now, its voyages in english? that's $100! and not even easy to find used, compared to Abeka. Now, what do I do??? Library does not have 2nd edition, or I'd try and read it. I see no reference to Abeka at all, tho I am still reading the book.

thanks

She said they didn't recommend R&S in the 1st edition because it did not extend into high school at that time. Since it now does, that is her preference. She does say, however, that A Beka Language is an acceptable alternative. If it's working for you, I wouldn't change anything.

She goes on to say R&S has clearer explanations and better writing lessons to build expository writing skills. She suggests, even in the first edition, to skip ABeka's writing assignments in favor of IEW or Writing Strands.

TWTM is a guide, not a Bible. Take a look at all the different non-recommend things people here use. If it works for you, keep it.