Menu

Questions about 10 yo boy MCT Grammar Town writing assignment #7

nitascool

The assignment was as follows:

Assignment write a statement of twenty words, with as many nouns as possible. Then write one of twenty words with as few nouns as possible. Discuss the difference.

Do you think that the assignment is asking for two one sentence statement of twenty words? Or would several sentences using upwards of twenty words be acceptable?

Here's what my 10 year old son wrote. He identified the nouns by writing them in blue which was not required.

First draft:

I Love cholate I would eat it all day Long especialy milk choclate it is so Light and creamy I Love chocalte.

It was a foggy Dark and damp day I wish the weather man was wrong this time It was a sad day.

Second draft:

I love chocolate. I would eat it all day long, especially milk chocolate. It is so light and creamy that I could eat it by the pound.

It was a foggy, dark, and damp day. I wish the weather man had been wrong this time. It was such a sad day.

*After discussing these two statements he noticed that they each have the same amount of nouns. He asked to "try again". So what should I expect from him with this second attempt?

The assignment was as follows:

Assignment: write a statement of twenty words, with as many nouns as possible. Then write one of twenty words with as few nouns as possible. Discuss the difference.

Here is my sons second attempt to do this assignment.

Some of my favorite book authors are C.S. Lewis, Pseudonymous Bosch, Peter Larangis, Charles Dickens, Judy Bloom, J.R.R. Tolkien, Gordon- Korman and Jude Watson.

The ghostly ghastly ghost was tall, spooky and frightening as he haunted the dark and depressing mansion on the steep hill.

I can't believe it, he actually capitalized both sentences! I think the first is a little boring and the second has just a few to many modifiers, but I can see his effort. The - between Gordon and Korman was at the end of the line. I'm not quite sure why it was added.

Do you think this is getting closer to fulfilling the assignment?

Here is my sons second attempt to do this assignment.

Some of my favorite book authors are C.S. Lewis, Pseudonymous Bosch, Peter Larangis, Charles Dickens, Judy Bloom, J.R.R. Tolkien, Gordon- Korman and Jude Watson.

The ghostly ghastly ghost was tall, spooky and frightening as he haunted the dark and depressing mansion on the steep hill.

I can't believe it, he actually capitalized both sentences! I think the first is a little boring and the second has just a few to many modifiers, but I can see his effort. The - between Gordon and Korman was at the end of the line. I'm not quite sure why it was added.

Do you think this is getting closer to fulfilling the assignment?

Yes, he's done the sentences right. But he hasn't done it totally right until he can tell you the differences between the two.;)

In my examples it was easier to tell the difference because the sentences were the same and only changed the number of nouns. His will be a tiny bit harder to evaluate because he not only changed the number of nouns, he also increased the number of adjectives. But he should still be able to tell you the difference between the two.

Edited by Jean in Newcastle

In my examples it was easier to tell the difference because the sentences were the same and only changed the number of nouns. His will be a tiny bit harder to evaluate because he not only changed the number of nouns, he also increased the number of adjectives. But he should still be able to tell you the difference between the two.

I think he wrote the sentences correctly. According to the original post, both sentences are to have 20 words. Since the second sentence should have as few nouns as possible, he has to use other parts of speech to meet that word count. (Technically, his first sentence doesn't have 20 words, but it's close enough.)

I agree that the most important part of the assignment is the discussion. How does an abundance of nouns affect a sentence versus an abundance of adjectives? Which sentence was easier to write? Why do you think it was easier? Do we have to be careful to avoid excessive nouns in our writing? What about excessive adjectives?

According to the original post, both sentences are to have 20 words. Since the second sentence should have as few nouns as possible, he has to use other parts of speech to meet that word count.

I agree that the most important part of the assignment is the discussion. How does an abundance of nouns affect a sentence versus an abundance of adjectives? Which sentence was easier to write? Why do you think it was easier? Do we have to be careful to avoid excessive nouns in our writing? What about excessive adjectives?

Missed that! Good point. You have very good discussion questions too.

Yes, thank you he completely understands the differences and we had a fun discussion dealing with these two sentences. How much easier it would have been to compare if he'd kept to the same topic etc. It's getting it from his head to his hand that seems to be the issue with him. :tongue_smilie:

Thanks for your help ladies. :001_smile: