Menu

Spelling

Scuff

Is there just a list of rules someplace? Or a straightforward program with just the rules? I like the way AAS teaches rules. I wish they sold just a set of the key cards. But I don't need such a scripted program. (and don't use it scripted) Since deciding to use TOG next year, I need to cut costs elsewhere and keep coming back to AAS. I like it. The kids are doing well with it so far (though we also do a seperate spelling list so that they learn more words. Right now their spelling abilities far surpase their rule knowledge) The expense of it doesn't seem to equal what we're getting out of it, though.

Rod and Staff's Spelling with Sound and Structure teaches the rules well, for less than $20 a grade. The word lists are called "light" sometimes, but these books aren't about memorizing an arbitrary list of words. The exercises more than make up for it. Depending on the grade there will be 2-4 days worth of work in the student book that can be done independently.

I was wondering the same thing. I'd like a list of phonics rules to use as a reference without going through my entire TM to find them all :)

Would have come in handy today as my son was having trouble deciding between using 'Ch' or 'tch' in the word 'match' and neither of us recalled there being a rule for it. After some digging I found one, so did I skip over that one or just forget it ??? Anyhow, a list would be handy.

Do a tag search for spelling rules and I bet you will find links to freebies from Elizabeth or some other phonics guru.

I have the How to Teach Spelling Teacher's Manual from EPS books. It is inexpensive and similar to the AAS style. All of the rules are conveniently listed in the table of contents.

My edit earlier didn't go through. We've used R&S. It became busywork. I know it teaches the rules and is solid, but it doesn't work for us. I don't need something else to check a d ds wasn't getting much out of it. It goes much better for all if we can just discuss the lesson for a few minutes and then practice the word list.

"The ABC's and All Their Tricks" says that you use -tch when it follows a short vowel sound and -ch when it follows a long vowel sound

catch, etch, pitch, botch, clutch

vs.

coach, peach, approach

I'm still learning to use the book, but it has come in handy a couple times.

:)

"The ABC's and All Their Tricks" says that you use -tch when it follows a short vowel sound and -ch when it follows a long vowel sound

catch, etch, pitch, botch, clutch

vs.

coach, peach, approach

I'm still learning to use the book, but it has come in handy a couple times.

:)

sorry op for the off topic comment, but what about such and much?

28 Rules for English Spelling

Unfortunately, they aren't very helpful without a program. We use SWR, and after 6 months, I am just now starting to understand them.

Thank you for posting this. I have been trying to decide if we needed a rules/phonics based spelling program, or if we can just continue with word lists. After reading all 28 rules, I realized that Abeka covered almost all of them for us when we used it for K-2. I was wondering if there were a whole bunch of rules that we were missing. I appears that isn't the case.

I get nervous when I hear everyone raving over AAS and wonder if I really need to be using it. Maybe we will be ok after all. :001_smile:

Thanks again!

Angela

There are a few more rules that are helpful.

Linked at the end of my how to tutor page are some spelling and syllable division rules, everything but rules for adding a suffix. My phonics lesson 22 covers those rules, there were too many to type out and they are more useful for older children.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/howtotutor.html

Also, here is a good thread with some links to more.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77560

Thank you for posting this. I have been trying to decide if we needed a rules/phonics based spelling program, or if we can just continue with word lists. After reading all 28 rules, I realized that Abeka covered almost all of them for us when we used it for K-2. I was wondering if there were a whole bunch of rules that we were missing. I appears that isn't the case.

I get nervous when I hear everyone raving over AAS and wonder if I really need to be using it. Maybe we will be ok after all. :001_smile:

Thanks again!

Angela

Thanks Angela - That's just how I've been feeling too :)