Menu

Night terrors leading to panic attacks?

I have a situation. Does anyone know if night terrors as a young child can lead to panick attacks as they get older. Here's my scenario: Dd almost 10 had night terrors from 4-8yrs. Pretty serious ones. Then for about a year the night terrors went away, but she started sleepwalking. (Her grandmother and I both sleepwalked as children). Recently, she has been having extreme fear episodes. ( I don't know what to call them) She goes to bed between 8:30 and 9. We let them do some quiet reading before they sleep. I am a night owl and will be up till around 11:30-12. A little before 11 she will come down stairs with a variety of complaints. "My legs are shaking, I can't sleep." I will tell her to go back to bed, which is met with some very desperate pleas of "HOW!!!!!? I CAN'T!!!!!? PLEASE MOM CAN"T I SLEEP WITH YOU?" What makes this unusual is we have never let any of the kids sleep with us.:confused:

Finally she said, "Can I get another hug and kiss?" Of course I said yes, I wrapped her in my arms and her heart was beating soooo FAST! She asked to keep her light on, I said yes. I went up about 30 min later nad she was in a fitful sleep. I brought her down to the couch and we slept on the couch together.

This is about the 4th episode in the last 2 months.

I'm starting to wonder if this is the 10yr old phase of the night terrors. Does anyone have any idea?

Tons of exercise!!!! (soccer practice last night she plays midfield and forward so she runs a ton!) and she just reads horsey books right now. She's a sweet active girl, but I am getting a bit concerned. I just tuned out the shacky legs, but I'm now reading up on terror related body tremors :glare:.

I feel like a bad mom.

Give her magnesium. It could be in the form of epsom salt baths (magnesium sulfate) or a Cal-Mag supplement or a product called Kid's Calm which is mixed into warm water for a lemony kind of drink. http://www.calmnatural.com/kids-calm-multi/

We've dealt with night terrors, sleep running and panic attacks. It has helped my kids (and me).

Our pediatrician warned us that night terrors are linked to sleepwalking later on, but never mentioned panic attacks. It sounds like something you might want to ask her doctor about. If they have an option for a phone conversation with a nurse or something like that, you might not even need to make an appointment.

It wouldn't hurt to mention it to her doctor. My 11yo daughter wound up having a pulmonary and cardiac work-up due to racing heart at night and some other symptoms. Turns out she has bronchial asthma, a bicuspid aorta valve, and is slightly pigeon chested. She was experiencing rapid growth at the time which was causing nerve pain in between her ribs. It was like a chain reaction. Pigeon chested rapid growth led to chest pain led to a minor asthma attack, but my daughter was freaked out by not understanding what was going on with her.

Give her magnesium. It could be in the form of epsom salt baths (magnesium sulfate) or a Cal-Mag supplement or a product called Kid's Calm which is mixed into warm water for a lemony kind of drink. http://www.calmnatural.com/kids-calm-multi/

We've dealt with night terrors, sleep running and panic attacks. It has helped my kids (and me).

:iagree:

We've dealt with night terrors, and also the anxiety that can go along with having Tourettes. Magnesium works well for us.

You know, my kids all had growing pains, and I used to think they were a fairly tale until I had to spend an hour rubbing a kids knees while the advil kicked in. (especially because she's exercising, too)

Along with the magnesium, I would give her some advil before bed. Not only will it relax her, but it may act as a preventative for that leg pain. When they quiet down (night) is when they feel it the worst-and when the body grows.

:grouphug:

You never knew when you became a mom you'd have to be a detective, too, huh?