Menu

Beginning Homeschool with gifted 6th grader

I have been homeschooling my 3rd grader this year and want to add her older sister to our "school" next year. She is in the gifted program and very advanced. She has been reading SOTW Ancient and Medieval "for fun". Do I start her on the high school history books or stay with SOTW next year.

I will be covering SOTW Medieval with my then 4th grader.

Guest Dulcimeramy

SOTW vol. 2 is written for grades 2 to 5, so it isn't advanced for a sixth grader. If she enjoys the style, there is no reason not to use it, though! Many people use SOTW vols 1-4 for first through seventh or eighth grades, especially when trying to teach siblings at the same time.

She could also learn to outline the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia, and you could add logic-stage books recommended in the Well-Trained Mind. Sonlight Core 6 also includes books about the Middle Ages that she might enjoy. (The first half of Core 6 is Ancients, and the second half is Middle Ages.)

I second the suggestion for K12 Human Odyssey books (not the course). Volume 1 covers prehistory to about 1400 and Volume 2 covers 1400-1914.

This year my fifth grader is using Volume 1, which I purchased used on amazon for about $20 last spring, in conjunction with the Oxford Press series The World in Ancient Times and The Medieval and Early Modern World. There is a lot of talk on the logic/middle grades sub-board about Human Odyssey and the Oxford Press books, so you might want to see what others are using.

We are homeschooling our first year for only academic reasons. Dd has never been tested but is even more advanced at this age that her tested-as-gifted older siblings.

I spent many many months last year choosing curriculum. I brought home SOTW from the library and dd thought they were boring. When Human Odyssey arrived from amazon, she grabbed it and read for the afternoon :)

Thank you for the suggestion for the of the Human Odyssey series. I will look at that. I am very worried about choosing something in which she will be challenged. She has worked above grade level in every area at school which makes is very hard to choose coursework for her. I know I can test for the math but science and history I want to challenge her. Up until now I think she has coasted on what she already knows. She reads college science texts on her own and so holding her accountable for what she read would be the main challenge.

Thank you for the suggestion for the of the Human Odyssey series. I will look at that. I am very worried about choosing something in which she will be challenged. She has worked above grade level in every area at school which makes is very hard to choose coursework for her. I know I can test for the math but science and history I want to challenge her. Up until now I think she has coasted on what she already knows. She reads college science texts on her own and so holding her accountable for what she read would be the main challenge.

Science is an entirely different kettle of fish. What level is her math? That could affect which college science texts you want to use. If she doesn't yet have the math skills for college science, you may wish to use Conceptual Chemistry and Conceptual Phyics. The latter has several editions, but you'd want either the college one or the high school one (grade 9/10) if you choose those. You'd know that by giving her a math test and then seeing what level of math is needed for the college science text. She doesn't have to do all the math with it in middle school anyway. Also, are you doing to do lab work?

My son loves history and reads each SOTW in one sitting in the entirety. I would recommend that if you have an avid reader choose a curriculum with lots of additional reading. Also supplement with videos. I use netflix and discovery streaming to add to what we are discussing. We are using All American History Vol. 1 right now, but I have to bring in additional material.

We are using All American History Vol. 1 right now, but I have to bring in additional material.

All American History does include lists of reading material suggestions in the TM, as well as activities. The reading lists are broken down into three levels which correspond to the trivium. In addition, the TM has some good project & activity suggestions.

Have you looked at Omnibus yet? I think your gut is right on with look at high school or college textbooks. The middle school level books will be interesting but more on the level of pleasure reading. If you want to stretch her, you have to bump it up. Great Books, primary sources, more challenging spines. I'm working on my dd's mix for next year.

Her math level is around seventh grade material. I plan on starting mid-7th grade and just moving at her pace. For science I am very undecided but will probably choose an 8th or 9th grade level curriculum. I will do experiments with what we already have. One of my kids got a mad scientists kit several years ago that we can work with. Luckily we are close to a museum affiliated with a university which has great science exhibits and special demonstrations.

Finding the outside reading resources is a great idea. I might combine resources found on Odyssey, Mystery of History and Sonlight. I want to keep the history courses consecutive with my 4th grader so I can give the 6th grader the more in depth material.