Menu

Singapore Math users

Holly

Which books do you use? Standards or US? CWP, IP, and/or EP? Are your DC "mathy" or not? Do you use the additional books at the same level or behind level?

I have two DC using Singapore...one does well and one struggles. I'm thinking of adding in some extra books, but I'm not sure which ones. I'm also thinking of switching to the Standards Edition at level 3...would this be a problem?

ETA: Would you also please share what you use to work on math facts?

We just started, I blogged about our first week with Singapore a few days ago. So while we don't have years of Singapore experience, we both love it so far.

We're using Standards edition. We have the Textbook, Workbook, HIG, IP, CWP, and Extra Practice. While I'm mathy and love math, my daughter would rather write. But since we've used this program, she's telling everyone her favorite subject is math, so just maybe she will turn out more mathy. She loves doing the IP and yesterday she was saying to me, "This book is trying to challenge me, but it will not defeat me!" That was pretty cute, and I never mentioned to her that they were supposed to be harder problems. I am still new to the program and not sure if we'll be working behind in the CWP/IP or on track. Probably a bit of both, she's been zooming through IP 1A on her own time.

I know Standards edition might cover some topics a year earlier than U.S. edition, so if you're thinking of changing, I'd do it as early as I could.

Math facts... My daughter memorizes things pretty quickly, but I plan to use the Mental Math in the HIG, as well as iPad apps (Rocket Math and some others).

We use Standards HIG, text, wb, test book, and CWP. We use mainly the workbook and the test book. I like being able to quickly correct her answers from the HIG, and when we need additional ideas for figuring out the lesson, we follow the HIG. I use the text book by writing on the white board a sample of the problems and we work them together. She uses the WB independently.

We also use Miquon and MM. I do think DD is quite mathy, but she is a perfectionist, so if something makes a huge leap, she panics. I know that she could handle the leap, but she doesnt like to fail, so she responds better to the more gradual introduction to a topic. We often use MM as the introduction or to fill in when Singapore make one of its big leaps.

We use MM and Singapore interchangeably, but we consider Singapore the spine. Also MM gives so much practice on math facts, that she has easily picked them up without reviewing them additionally.

Miquon we use as a fun math lab, usually on Fridays.

Edited by bluemongoose

We are using the Standards Edition Textbooks and Workbooks, plus the US Edition Intensive Practice books (as SE versions have not been published yet) and the (old) CWPs.

We tend to do the IPs and CWP slightly behind the core books (but in conjunction with them) but I am very flexible with these depending on the level of challenge and readiness. So I they to make sure these are a positive challenge rather than frustratingly hard. They do step up the degree of difficulty a good deal. Customizing the use of these to a child's needs and abilities if probably better than any "fixed" schedule. An advantage of home education, methinks.

Bill

My ds is using SM US 2b right now. I would say he is semi mathy, and so far we are enjoying SM. I had the HIG for 2a, but not 2b. I have the extra practice book, and the intensive practice, but have not really used them yet. I plan to use them when he finishes before we start 3a. As far as math facts practice we use games(computer, and card games), skip counting, and flash cards. My dd is doing Essentials, and will start 1a/1b this coming school year. She loves math, and can't wait to start the yellow books. I plan to use the Work/text, and HOD hands on.

We are just starting Singapore so I have no experience. I chose U.S. & already own it but if we stick with SP (for my middle son) we'll change to Standards in 2nd. We will also utilize all of the components: HIG, text, CWP, IP. I will leave no stone unturned. :001_smile:

MM is effective for my oldest but my middle son needs the lay out of SP. I'm excited to be able to test run it! The way Angela (Satori's Mom) explained how they're using Singapore demonstrates what I think my son needs in math (the color, variety & layout while still getting the Asian style math).

My oldest is using Stds. Ed. text, old CWP, and IP. She does the reviews 1 semester behind because they are overkill for her when scheduled. I strongly recommend getting the HIG's, at least for levels 3 & up.

My DD is bright and doesn't need a ton of repetition but I would not call her intuitively "mathy". For some of the topics (1 chapter in 3A, 1 chapter in 3B, and 2 chapters in 4A), she works through portions of the corresponding MM "blue" worktexts prior to doing Singapore. I have chosen to do this because Maria Miller's explanations are superior to what I could give even with the HIG and she walks the child through the concepts step-by-step-by-step rather than making conceptual leaps like Singapore does.

We are using the US ed. I was given the whole set of texts for free, so that was a big incentive, lol. I also have the HIG starting in year..2? 3? I can't remember. We are finishing up year 5 now. We are very happy with the program

We also use LOF and timez attack and the occasional kumon book. I mostly use kumon workbooks in the summer.

When DS1 was younger I used miquon along side singpaore.

With DS2 this year I used MEP reception year and Singapore earlybird and miquon.

I have a very bright math student and we use the textbook, workbook, CWP and IP books right now because she is young. When she gets a bit older, I plan on dropping the workbook and just use the IP book.

We work though an A or B level of the textbook/workbook then through the IP book. For example, we are almost done with 1b and will work through the 1b IP book before starting 2a. We use the CWP with both.

We also use Standards.

Edited by MissKNG

We're using the standards HIG, TB, WB, IP (US ed), and CWP (US ed b/c I already had them). Dd does a page a day in the IP, ideally just a topic or two behind, although we're a little further behind than that right now. CWP will mostly be worked on over the summer since we're currently playing catch-up a little. In the fall I will probably incorporate it something like a page 3xs a week, likely about half a level behind. In lieu of the EP books, I print out the relevant pages from MM since I have the whole light blue series and they teach similarly. I use this for topics that I feel dd needs more practice on or as review once we've moved on to the next thing in SM.

Dd also uses triangle flashcards daily and does a short drill sheet of facts that I've printed off from the MM worksheet maker.

I think level 3 is a good time to switch to standards. When I was researching it, I believe the only topic missed from level 2 was some kind of graphs (bar graphs, maybe?).

We went through 1A and 1B and are now in the middle of 2A. I have the U.S. editions but may switch to Standards for 2B. I have the HIGs, textbooks, workbooks, CWP, and I just placed an order for the IP.

We use Singapore's Math Sprints (which my son adores), as well as the mental math exercises in the back of the HIGs for math fact practice.

I also supplement with Miquon every now and then, and about once a week we do a lesson from Marilyn Burns's Math and Literature series.

Singapore has been fantastic for us so far. I am so impressed with the program.