Menu

learning to tie shoes

My 6 year old boy has poor fine motor skills (not horrible, but not great either)...and I want to teach him to tie his shoes. Does anybody here have any suggestions for me on how to do that. We have tried the 2 basic ways I know how to teach that skill...the one with the 2 loops tieing together and the one with the one loop and pulling through the other string....both a total flop...I have considered buying one of those books from Scholstic with larger strings but I don't know if that would be helpful or not. Oh, he is a lefty too (and I am not)...so does that make it more difficult??

Knot together two different colored laces. (Toddler size works well. For longer laces, cut in half and knot together the cut ends.) Thread the knotted lace through your practice shoe. The two different colored ends makes it easier to see what you are doing with each end.

There are several versions of the shoelace bunny song. Try the one that makes the most sense to you.

I have no patience for teaching shoe tying. Seriously, my mom taught my oldest over a weekend at her house and my 10 yo taught the current 6 yos. They have only been tying shoes for about a month and are nearly 7. My best suggestion for teaching the lefty is to sit in front of him and have him mirror the action (I did do the finishing touches to her lessons).

I didn't teach Calvin to tie his laces until he was nine. He learned fast then. It was the same year he learned to ride a bike. Sometimes it's just less stressful to wait until the body catches up.

Laura

Oh that makes me feel better on both the shoelaces and the bike count :D

My son will be 8 next month and still has trouble with tying shoes. But he's had all velcro shoes and he does tie his own karate belt, which is a comparatively complex process.

I have a twelve year old that is destined for slip on shoes for the rest of his life. He did learn to tie, at nine. However, he just cannot manage a tight knot and so they are undone as fast as he ties them. He spends many days walking around on the laces. I finally gave up and bought him some Land's End all weather mocassins. He's perfectly happy.

We have noticed that he just doesn't generally have good grip. I thought his dressage instructor would lose her mind (though she was soooooo good at maintaining her cool) getting him to hold the reins with enough grip that they didn'tend up dragging on the ground just because the horse turned her head sideways.

Isn't this why God made velcro????

Faith

I have a twelve year old that is destined for slip on shoes for the rest of his life. He did learn to tie, at nine. However, he just cannot manage a tight knot and so they are undone as fast as he ties them. He spends many days walking around on the laces. I finally gave up and bought him some Land's End all weather mocassins. He's perfectly happy.

Faith

This is my 10 yo ds. We joke about it all the time, but it makes my dad so annoyed when he sees him. I have just resigned myself that he is going to be wearing Crocs or flip-flops his whole life :glare:

My 11 year always had a hard time. Can't tie a tight knot for anything. Like Faith's kid. Velco shoes are my friend. Hubby has been insisting lately we make him wear shoes with laces, so he'll get used to it. DS can do it, he just doesn't want to. Not worth the hassle. Sticking with slip on's. Besides, that's all I wear myself.

When I taught my children to tie their shoes I would get next to them and model tying one of their shoes for them, facing the same way as they did so they would see it done the same way they would do it. I would do one step, they would copy, then I would do the next step, they would copy, until the shoe was tied. Of course, it took quite a few times before they didn't need anymore instruction.

I just taught my dd age 8.5 two days ago. No problem. Should I teach my 6yo dd? I think I'm going to wait. She doesn't have any lace up shoes. No stress.

I don't think there would be any harm in showing her how to tie her shoes. I expected it would take several times of practice for my children to learn it. No rush. If they learn it they learn it. If not try again later. But if you really just want to wait, that should be fine too. The only problem is if you ever need to leave her somewhere and no one will help her. I remember that happening when I was little.

I am a lefty raised in a house full of righties. I will always need to double-knot my shoes or they will come undone. Apparently, I do something backwards.

When someone else ties my shoes they stay tied all day. A friend of mine tied my shoes all through high school! :D

I don't have any specific advice except to say that it might be a challenge for a righty to teach a lefty...it certainly was in my case. Maybe you could find a lefty with mad shoe tyin' skillz to help you out? ;)

I'm a rightie and my son's a leftie. I tried everything to try to try to teach him how to tie his shoes - but no success, only frustration until.....a friend pointed out that I should not be sitting next to him, but rather across from him because of our different "handed-ness". I tried that and he got it the very first time! Yikes!

Myra

I would stick with velcro for now and wait a few years. I would also take him for an OT evaluation.

why is an OT visit important? because of his weak fine motor skills? He seems "normal" in every other way. We do have a son who has slight sensory issues....but my 6 year old doesn't exibit any symptoms like our older son does.