Menu

SOTW vs. WP's AS1 vs. ToG

WIS0320

I am a new homeschooler. I have been taking things easy this year with my Kindy student, but I want to step it up a bit next year.

I am trying to decide between these three programs. I like things about each of them. I am most attracted to WP's curriculum but it seems it may be a bit too old for my child based on opinions I received in another thread. I like that it appears to be open and go, all the books come in the package and there are a lot of great craft ideas. ToG looks really good as well though it seems like far more than we need for a 1st grader. SOTW is also appealing but I am not sure how the Activity Guides are set up. Are they pretty open and go? SOTW is definitely the most affordable option, so that is going in its favor as well.

I am using AS1 this year with my first grader and it is going fine. I have her combined with my third grader. We don't do all the hands on projects, and I let my 1st grader skip a few of the readings, but we really like it.

I have SOTW as well, and she doesn't care for it (yet).

Have you looked at Sonlight's Core K or Core 1?

We used a WP program last year and really enjoyed it, but there were several typos and getting some of the books too forever. Their customer service is great though and they did make every effort to get us the stuff when we needed it. This year though, I felt the need to put us back on the 4 year cycle, so we switched to History Odyssey. They use SOTW as a spine. You can check them out here. Their ancients level 1 is geared to 1st grade. They also have an amazing Try Before You Buy option that allows you to download 11 full weeks of the curric, so you can really get a feel for it. They do not do SOTW chronologically (they do it by region), and to some that might be confusing, but we've not had any problems with it.

HTH! If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

I am using TOG with a first grader right now. I do not feel that it is too much partially because you can pick and choose. So far we have done about 99% of all the reading, and it has felt just right. My DD prefers to color, so we do a lot of coloring pages over some of the drawing and captioning that is the writing portion for 1st graders. She writes a sentence below her picture after she colors it. The crafts are fun and she loves them, but some weeks are just too busy in our life to do them, so we skip them and that is ok! DD was ready for dictionary use, so for the vocabulary she looks up the word and draws a picture of its meaning with the word written under her picture. The maps are really good, but you do need an atlas if you want to actually look it up on a map rather than copying the answers from the teacher copy. I went ahead and bought the suggestions for atlases on the bookshelf central website.

Some things that helped TOG work best for us was to make a block schedule. We do certain things on certain days, and this helps spread it out and make it feel like no big deal at all! And she is learning a ton!

Also, I like that I now own it forever, and I will not have to make another purchase (other than reading books) for later years or other children.

I like that I have the time (as she is my oldest and only one really schooling) to learn alongside her by reading the books in upper levels.

We have loved all but one of the book choices so far, but there is always the option to use SOTW with TOG. The reading schedule is written in the alternate reading chart.

Edited by bluemongoose

We are doing TOG for our first year this year and one ds is in first grade. I don't know that I would have chosen it when my oldest was a first grader but I really, really wish that I would have. We have all loved the books. All of the boys have listened in to UG and D level books that we used as family read alouds. We did WP one year and really enjoyed some of the books and even still refer to them so it is also a great program. Oh and we use SOTW as a spine for TOG. It is a lot to consider but you can download a three week sample of year one and see what it offers. The other thing I LOVE about TOG is that once you buy their curriculum for the four year cycle you are done and can spend your money year to year on books.