Menu

More specific questions about Apologia Science.. please give your opinion..

I'm now looking specifically at the notebooks/lapbooks. One or two people recommended one or the other in a previous post.

I know of three different companies that sell these kinds of things - Knowledge Box, Live and Learn Press, and Donna Young, and there may be others I don't know about yet.

Which is your favorite, and why?

TIA!

Edited by Hedgehog

For General Science I liked LLP. It gave my daughter a working study guide. She liked the color. The booklets were easy to fold. The first one was tricky in learning a few new folds we had not used before, but then they all followed the same pattern. The first chapter is available as a sample on their site. We just used white printer paper to print these out on and it worked fine. She placed them onto cardstock as they recommend. They have a yahoo group where they advertise their specials. It usually one month out of the year for Apologia.

I personally will be having my ds9 (will be 10) do the notebook for his next Apologia book. I don't like the lapbooks that other people design only for the reason that we like to come up with our own. We tried LLP's lap book for Astronomy, and it was too "fill in the blank-y" to me. I have looked at samples of the notebooks online and feel like they will be the right thing to have my ds working more independently on science as well as digging a bit deeper than he is currently.

We use the notebook published by Apologia. This is for the elementary series. I like it alot. I haven't seen any of the others. There is one mini-book per lesson. They are full color and absolutely gorgeous with tons of variety. I think the notebook is worth the price alone for the mini-books. We also love, love, love the vocabulary crossword. There are a lot of pages for notebooking with lines for writing and spaces for pictures. We started out doing some of these but my kids weren't in to drawing quite that much. There are also pages for lab reports, extra readings, and some other assignments that pop up here and there. LOVE the mini-books. :001_smile:

But maybe you're looking for the older series. I haven't seen those.

Well, I bought both because I could not decide. I liked the OYO notebook page layout and prefilled lab sheets from Knowledge Box and the actual Study Guide lapbooks from Live and Learn. The blend is working here so far.