Menu

Usborne or Kingfisher for SOTW

KristenR

I have some money burning a hole in my pocket. I am slowly accumulating my materials for our upcoming history lessons. Which do you prefer as a companion to SOTW?

I already have the SOTW activity guide for book 1. Would Usborne Internet Linked be a better choice than Kingfisher? Or are they pretty much the same?

Also, has anyone done the History Pockets? Are they overkill if I have the activity guide?

I don't mind taking a long time to do each book. I am starting a bit early with my eager 4 year old. My 2 year old loves to join in on anything her older sister is doing, so I really don't mind taking a long time for each unit and doing loads of lessons. I just don't want them too repetitive.

One last thing- Pandia's Press History Odyssey-- any thoughts? I printed off the free sample but haven't looked at it yet.

Usborne is much better for the younger years--more pictures and less text. My very language-centered oldest boy is just beginning to get into our Kingfisher; the Usborne is still his major history look-it-up source. My very visual-centered seven year old loves the Usborne. He looks it over for fun on the weekends. Really. I'm not kidding. :)

Thank you! You guys have helped make up my mind. I'll definietly go with the more visually appealing one at this point since a majority of our supplements will be corresponding library books.

One more question though- does anyone know where I can find Usborne Internet Linked Encyclopedia? I only see it through secondhand sellers on Amazon for ridiculously high prices and I don't see it on Rainbow Resource.

???

Usborne is much better for the younger years--more pictures and less text. My very language-centered oldest boy is just beginning to get into our Kingfisher; the Usborne is still his major history look-it-up source. My very visual-centered seven year old loves the Usborne. He looks it over for fun on the weekends. Really. I'm not kidding. :)

My 7 yo also loves to read the usborne book for fun. He loves that book! :001_smile:

I have or have used all that you have mentioned, and I wouldn't recommend them for a 4yo. The history pockets are fun, my 7 yo likes them, but would not have been able to do most of it at age 4 without a TON of help. Besides coloring, there is a lot of writing, cutting, pasting, etc.

If you have the activity guide already, you don't really need History Odyssey. It has some other activities and book recs, but is redundant with the AG, IMO.

If you have the time, make a loose lesson plan and write down books to get at the library for each chapter. There are a lot of good books for 4-5yo that will help with their understanding of the subjects. My DD has been listening in with my DS this year, while she was 4.5-5. I don't ask her to stay with us, she is free to go off and do her own thing, but when she stays I like to have a book or two for her level.

Also, you can start to put books on your wishlist at PBS and have time to get some of them. There are a lot of neat activity type of books out there that may be great for your children. For example, I got a book with hieroglyph stamps from PBS. They were fun to play with during the week we discussed this with SOTW, and they were perfect for my DD to keep her entertained. She still talks about her hi-glicks. :lol:

HTH

Thank you! You guys have helped make up my mind. I'll definietly go with the more visually appealing one at this point since a majority of our supplements will be corresponding library books.

One more question though- does anyone know where I can find Usborne Internet Linked Encyclopedia? I only see it through secondhand sellers on Amazon for ridiculously high prices and I don't see it on Rainbow Resource.

???

There's a new version. UILE

:iagree:I'm starting to feel this way as well with my 5yo and 7yo. My two don't engage as much with UILE as they do when we read SOTW or library picture books. I'm start to just paraphrase the pages and move into any of the activities linked to the pages instead. I can see it being much more useful when they hit 4th grade and up.

As for History Pockets and the SOTW AG -- I only have HP and they enjoy the activities. It is only 8 or 9 activities, however. Since I'm using HO 1, other resources are mentioned for activities. I can't really say if the HP activities duplicate any found in the AG.

I have both. My older ones use them more, they are grade 6 and 8. Even ds, grade 11 will use them on occasion, he's doing his Grade 12 social. DD7 enjoys them, merely for browsing through mostly.

I don't think we follow SOTW as it was intended, however this is what we do: We play the CD. We color the page. We might do an activity if mom planned ahead enough and the little people are cooperating. If it's something particularly appealing to her, we pull out UILE and explore it some more. Otherwise, it sits there.

I do try to get library books, but they rarely come in time. If they are here we use them, if not, I cancel the hold and move on.