Menu

RightStart with Singapore?

Yes, another Math thread ;)

I finally decided on Singapore for our main math program, but I am still wanting to purchase rightstart :) The 20% off at HSBC isn't helping. SO, if I were to use Singapore as the main math, would supplementing with Rightstart B Worksheets and manipulatives work, or would I also need to purchase the lessons??

I know there are a few of you that use both Singapore and Rightstart, how do you do it?

We are almost done with RSM Level B and I thought about doing both and purchased Singapore Math Std 1B Text & Work books. I haven't started on SM. Instead I think I might use it as review when we finish RSM Level B.

But, my opinion on just using RSM manipulatives and workbook to complement SM -I would say no. You need the textbook to really know how to introduce the abacus for example (although I think there may be a stand alone book just for abacus exercises if you were interested in it). The card games you could do without it but you would probably need to purchase the Card Game Book. As for the worksheets, RSM is very minimal on worksheets so I don't think there's any point using them for supplement.

RSM teaches a way to think about numbers and uses the manipulatives to facilitate that method. I think the card games would be the only thing worth doing as a supplement if you were not going with RSM all the way.

I use Singapore for DD 6 & DS 4, but I have just ordered some RS items to supplement. You can order the Al Abacus Packet (Activities for Al Abacus book, an abacus and place value cards) plus the Worksheets for Al Abacus. I also ordered the card games, and the balance in hopes that they will be a fun addition to math.

We are most likely going to do Singapore as our main math with the RS games book for added practice. In my opinion I think it would be too much to do the full program for both at the same time. Not too much for the child maybe... but it would take a long time to get math done each day. I tried combining RS (the teacher manual and all) with Horizons math workbook and that was taking us about an hour a day for math in 1st grade. That was too much time for my son and me.