Menu

x-post: Omnibus I and Teaching Company Lectures

I didn't get a response on the middle school board, so I am asking my question here. I know many of you have used TC courses. (I've done lots of reading here, but this is my first post on this board.)

I've decided to use Omnibus I for literature and history for 7th grade next year. I want to combine that with Teaching Company lectures. I currently have a very long list in my TC shopping cart and I need to narrow it down.

I know that I will do Odyssey and Aeneid by Vandiver--I already own those. I'm considering some of her others:

Classical Mythology

Herodotus: The Father of History

I want to save some of the more indepth TC lectures for grade 9 and Omnibus IV. What do you think of these for 7th?:

History of Ancient Egypt or Great Pharoahs of Egypt

Greece and Rome: an Integrated History of the Ancient Mediterranean

Classical Archeology of Ancient Greece and Rome

Famous Greeks

Famous Romans

Experiencing Rome: A Visual Exploration of Antiquity's Greatest Empire

I obviously have too many in my cart now. Which of these do you think would add the most to our studies without being boring and cumbersome? Would it be just as effective to read the biographies without listening to the "Famous xxx" series? Which of these do you love?

I hope you get a good response on this. I haven't used any of the TC lectures yet, but I have my eye on a couple for next year. My ds will be in 9th and we are in the midst of deciding if he is going to continue to homeschool or go to the ps high school. He is curious about ps.:001_unsure:

I do know that some of the TC courses are awesome and some are dry as dirt. Good luck with the decision!

I've watched the two Egyptian courses with Bob Brier, and the Greek & Roman Archaeology course with John Hale. I have some of the others, but we haven't watched them yet.

I would recommend Brier's 12-lecture Great Pharaohs course over the full 48-lecture History of Egypt course, unless your dd is really really obsessed with Egyptian history. DS12 and I watched the Pharaohs course first and loved Brier so much that DS begged me to get the full course. However, by the time we got to about lecture 36, we were pretty ready to move on. :tongue_smilie: Brier is one of our favorite lecturers, he's very dynamic and engaging and speaks very naturally (doesn't read or look at notes). The Great Pharaohs course hits all the high points of Egyptian history without getting too bogged down in details.

I would also very highly recommend the Greek & Roman archaeology course — John Hale is our absolute favorite TC professor ever. Like Brier, he's an extremely engaging, dynamic, and natural speaker, and his lectures really bring the history & archaeology alive. I would say the course is more focused on archaeology than history, though. Our whole family watches this course, including DH, and we like it so much that we also bought Hale's Greek & Persian War course (which DS is currently loving) as well as his Roots of Religion course.

We also have Vandiver's Classical Mythology and Herodotus courses, and the Integrated History of Greece & Rome course, but we haven't watched them yet so I can't comment. I bought the Integrated History course thinking that it, plus Hale's classical archaeology course, would provide good coverage of Greece & Rome, so I hope someone else can comment on the Integrated History course for you.

Jackie

Edited by Corraleno
typo

I would also very highly recommend the Greek & Roman archaeology course — John Hale is our absolute favorite TC professor ever. Like Brier, he's an extremely engaging, dynamic, and natural speaker, and his lectures really bring the history & archaeology alive. I would say the course is more focused on archaeology than history, though. Our whole family watches this course, including DH, and we like it so much that we also bought Hale's Greek & Persian War course (which DS is currently loving) as well as his Roots of Religion course.

I agree with this. We are halfway through and enjoying it very much. Our whole familyy watches them, too. :001_smile: The course would be a nice change of pace if you are already doing two courses about individual works.

We haven't used the Mythology yet, but that would be a good one to do early. Understanding the mythology references in the literature you are studying is key.