Menu

Majic tricks for potty training...anybody??? HELP!!!

Okay here's the deal: I am NOT a spring chicken anymore (there I said it!!). I have a 3 yo that would have been pted a long time ago, but she had a physical problem that prevented success. My other 3 were pted by 18 months!!! My dh is alway on me about pting dd which I have started as she is finally overcoming her physical probs. AND I am TIRED of washing out poopie diapers!!!! Yes, I use cloth...I HATE paper and chemical and couldn't afford it if I liked it. But I am weary. I am setting a timer every 20 minutes for potty time. Dd doesn't agree with that setting, cuz she will go every 15 or 25 minutes. Never in the potty cept for a tiny amt of poopie (part of her physical prob that has not resolved yet). Never a real bowel movement or teetle in the potty. I have 6 training undies and have used 7 today (thankfully I was washing). Any wonderful tips from your other moms out there?

Thanks for any help!!!

If she's having physical problems that are affecting pting then I wouldn't push it.

I pted mine at 3yo. I tried at 2 and it wasn't working. At 3yo I didn't even spend half a day pting. I must have taken him to the potty 2x and he started to go on his own ever since.

I just think if they're not ready physically or emotionaly then it needs to wait.

If she's having physical problems that are affecting pting then I wouldn't push it.
:iagree: It doesn't sound like she's ready.

Well, the physical problem is resolved enough for her to pt. Before she was always severely constipated and then with potty aids would develope diareah. I was warned by docs to not allow her to fear the potty chair as she would start withholding her bowel movements and make the situation worse. Well now she is more regular/normal, but she still has small movements often even though she has normal movements. So all that to say that she is is physically able now. It is just that we need to get it into her head that big girls potty in the pot. :o).

Have you tried potty parties?

You don't invite anyone over but you do get her a cake with candles, balloons, and such. When she tinkles or has a bm in the potty, you have to make a big woooohooooo about it. I've been assured that using this method they're usually pted in a day.

Well now she is more regular/normal, but she still has small movements often even though she has normal movements. So all that to say that she is is physically able now. It is just that we need to get it into her head that big girls potty in the pot. :o).
I may have misunderstood, but from your original post I assumed she was urinating every 15-25 minutes. Does she give any indication of body awareness? Does she know when she's about to go? How much warning does she have? Can she feel the difference between bowel movements and urination while they are happening?

My sister took one warm summer day, left all clothes and diapers off, had newspaper down in certain places, and disinfectant and paper towel ready. With no diaper or clothes on, the child can then feel things happening, and it helps things "click" for them. If they feel that certain feeling, then it's going to come out. "If I go to the potty, then it won't be a big mess." It took her 2 days of that with her oldest, and 1 day with her other two. There's a book called "Potty Training In A Day" or Potty Training in One Day" that she used. Might be worth a look?

I may have misunderstood, but from your original post I assumed she was urinating every 15-25 minutes. Does she give any indication of body awareness? Does she know when she's about to go? How much warning does she have? Can she feel the difference between bowel movements and urination while they are happening?

Oh, I am sorry, I really didn't make it clear. The 15-25 minutes was the tiny poopie OR pee and not every time. Basically I meant that she either potties before or after the sitting time instead of during. She can feel when she has to poopie, but I'm not sure about pee??

The potty party and potty day sounds wonderful!!

You ladies are wonderful!!