Menu

If you use OPGTTR and ETC

NCJessieRN

If I were you, I'd just start at book 1. Your dd will be able to gain confidence as she will be able to go through the pages easily. (Plus she'll probably go through them really quickly and be caught up to her ability in no time.) My dd is on lesson 57 right now and is just finishing up book 2. We have to wait to start book 3 till we hit long vowel sounds in OPG.

Yeah, I would recommend starting off with the beginning ETC. The workbooks are cheap enough that I wouldn't mind it as a review if my daughter was slightly beyond it. They are so writing intensive that I am currently using book 1 more for the practice of penmanship and reinforcement of OPG then to try and learn.

Also, I purchased workbooks 1 and 2 with the teacher's guide. As I flipped through it I realize that I really could have saved the money and not gotten the TG.

I find they get what they need from OPGTR and I don't use any of the extraneous activities that the ETC TGs suggest.

I'm not sure if I would need the TG as we advance further in the workbooks, but for now I wish I would have saved the money.

I agree that it won't hurt just start with ETC 1. I used to try and coordinate the ETC lessons to the OPGTR, but as we progressed the lessons became so far off. We are on ETC 4 which covers compound words and endings. The OPGTR doesn't cover those lessons until the end. So I just backed up and now keep both separate. If ETC goes beyond where we are in OPG, I will just add on lessons as needed.