Menu

If your child was bored by SOTW, what history curriculum did you try instead?

Xuzi

I'm considering trying a different history curriculum for DD6's 2nd grade year. SOTW just doesn't seem to be sinking in for her. She always acts bored, whether she's listening to it being read by me, or by Jim Weiss.

Is there a more engaging history curriculum out there? One that's more story-format than "Here is what happened" format? She DOES pay attention to the stories included within SOTW (whether myths or stories of fictional historical characters).

Does such a curriculum exist?

ETA: I do try to read library books along with the text book, but our library isn't all that great, so many weeks I don't have much, if anything, to supplement with)

ETA2: I'm looking for secular history.

Edited by Xuzi

History Odyssey Level 1? Mine liked it better as it doesn't skip around like SOTW does. You can still use the AG with HOL1 for extra maps, questions, more activity ideas.

You are just giving her exposure now so keep plugging away. She will come around and you will have no regrets.

Edited by Guest

My kids (age 7, plus the 4 yo coloring and listening on occasion) have been bored by SOTW2. We are slowly switching to Living History by Angela O'Dell (mentioned previously). My girls prefer it, plus they love having their own personal journal. We are supplementing with read-alouds, most of which are Sonlight Core 3 (bought used here for a great deal).

That said...Living History is not secular. So it may not be right for you. Good luck with finding the right fit for you and your family!

Probably not the answer you're looking for, but we tried out GuestHollow American History for 2nd, and DD had a similar reaction to your DD's reaction to SOTW. I decided to drop history. There's no point on spending time on it if they're not interested and not getting it. DD will likely do some kind of history in her enrichment program next year. I plan on taking a look at it as something to do in our home lessons no sooner than 4th grade.

I haven't tried SOTW, but my son really likes Sonlight. If you're kids are very visual, they might like it. My son really likes the color plus the books. Just wanted to throw a different option out there for ya!:001_smile: And "no" I'm not a rep or anything.

homemama

ds 9, mostly Sonlight

My youngest needed pictures to keep him interested in what we were reading much longer than my oldest two. We're doing SOTW this year in third grade, and he's loving it. I know he wouldn't have earlier. We used some of the Sonlight Usborne titles in his earlier years: Living Long Ago, Time Traveler's Omnibus, Wild Places. . . Also, he loved maps so we got an animal atlas. I tried Children Just Like Me to coordinate with the animals around the world, but he wasn't nearly as interested in the children as the animals. ;) He did like How Children Lived and Children Around the World.

Jennifer