Menu

Should I just bite the bullet and order SOTW?

LMD

Ok, thinking about history for my 1st-ish grader.

I like the idea of SOTW, a read-aloud for history - great! I like the idea of using it as a spine for our own reading, I like the idea of the AG because I'm not as creative as I think I am ;). I like the price that I can get them for, and that they are actual books rather than e-things that I have to print off.

The religious aspect is a plus for me.

For some reason I just don't love the actual SOTW book, I'm not sure why. I liked the exerpts I read well enough... Maybe it's just an incredibly immature desire to not do what I'm told (from TWTM book - that I loved) :blushing:

I was going to just use living books from the library, the usborne history encyclopedia (which I have) and do our own thing. I have a stack of ancient history books sitting there - but I think I need a little more hand holding...

I've looked at and excluded everything else I think, MOH, TOG, HO, Biblioplan, BF, HOD, Galore park...

So, tell me, do I need to just suck it up and try it? Anything I've missed?

I like the idea of SOTW, a read-aloud for history - great! I like the idea of using it as a spine for our own reading, I like the idea of the AG because I'm not as creative as I think I am ;). I like the price that I can get them for, and that they are actual books rather than e-things that I have to print off.

For some reason I just don't love the actual SOTW book, I'm not sure why. I liked the exerpts I read well enough... Maybe it's just an incredibly immature desire to not do what I'm told (from TWTM book - that I loved) :blushing:

I was going to just use living books from the library, the usborne history encyclopedia (which I have) and do our own thing. I have a stack of ancient history books sitting there - but I think I need a little more hand holding...

I've looked at and excluded everything else I think, MOH, TOG, HO, Biblioplan, BF, HOD, Galore park...

I'll admit to some confusion. You like the excerpts you read? And the religious aspect and etc., etc., etc. I don't understand why you say you don't like SOTW, when you also so clearly state that you do like it.

Yes, just order it. You can still do your own thing but will have a consistent narrative with which to weave it all together.

This may sound like an odd idea, but what if you just got the AG and use it for the craft/project ideas and the extra reading suggestions. The AG will tell you what pages of the encyclopedia correspond to that chapter, so you could use the encyclopedia for the spine and then use books you find along with the extra history and literature selection from the AG to flesh out your reading. Sure the narration suggestions and comprehension questions wouldn't work as easily depending on what you read, but if 1st grade is that really a priority? It wasn't for me. Although we read SOTW because my kids loved it, toward the end of middle ages I just dropped the book and used the AG and library books.

Thanks for all the quick replies.

Strider - Thanks for your post - I think it's what I needed to hear. Yes, I feel confused too... I'm not exactly sure why I don't like it, so I guess I'm wondering if it will grow on me if I make the investment, given that I do like so many things about it?

mymonkeybug - I think those programs are for older grades? 4 or 5 up? The main factors that excluded most programs have been (in no particular order), cost - especially shipping to australia, very american worldview, OTT religious content, too teacher intensive. I liked Galore park but I don't want to get into evolution so early - and it isn't a read-aloud narrative.

Thanks for all the replies, some more to think about.

I'm also looking at The Story of the Ancient World http://www.nothingnewpress.com/guerber/ancient.html

I read & bought WTM in 2000, when I found out I was pg w/ #1. I bought the books it rec'd when ds was a baby. I tried teaching them to him when he was 2. :lol:

When he was finally in 1st g, we started w/ the old WTM approach. It had seemed so beautiful pre-kids. Outlining that sucker was HARD, though.

I didn't know what SOTW was, but when I read about it here, I felt rebellious, too. I wanted "classic" REAL WTM. :lol:

I got SOTW from the library & read it aloud to dh & finally told him I. had. to. have. it.

Then I realized it didn't come w/ the AG. :svengo:

Eventually, I broke down & ordered the AG, too. Happiest. day. of my hs'ing life. I have the whole 4-year set now, we're almost done w/ them, & I won't be selling them. They're THAT GREAT.

Just do it!

I agree, it's so darn inexpensive that I have trouble comparing others that look great but double the price.

I also like the looks of CHOW and The Story of the Ancient World. Each of these is comparable in price to SOTW+AG, however I can't see any sort of AG for these? Also tSOtAW is not as comprehensive in the civilizations it covers - maybe it would work as a supplement to SOTW?

Hmm... leaning towards just ordering it already.

If nothing else, get the AG. Seriously. The book lists & activity suggestions make it totally worth it.

I try to be a cobbler of programs and collector of books as well. The AG is a huge time and sanity saver. :)

Ha, I try not to be a cobbler/collector! I'm not succeeding...

I had planned on using SOTW for my first grader next year, but the more I thought about it, the more I began to believe that first grade is too young for ancient history. We are instead going to work on learning about the world though literature (we're using FIAR), looking at the world map a lot, eating foods from different countries, understanding where we are located in the U.S. and the world, and trying to set up a basic timeline of where we are in history. DD might enjoy learning about Egyptians or Romans, but she would have no idea where in time or space these events occurred, and I'd rather work on her developing more basic knowledge first.

I may begin SOTW in second grade.

Just to provide some balance, I own all four books and the activity guides and I never use them any more. I bought them when I first started home schooling and I did use them at first. But honestly, it didn't simplify my life. I used mostly library books anyway. If you have a good library, you don't really need them. And even when I was "using" them, I didn't do most of the activities anyway. And the maps I have on a blackline map cd anyway. And the reading lists aren't all that different from what you can find online for free. I never got rid of them because they all cost so much (altogether, I mean, not that they are inherently expensive) and I kept thinking I might use them again someday. But really, if I haven't used them in several years am I ever going to? Probably not.

But of course they are wonderful in their own way, just not for me.

Have you thought about using Sonlight K for 1st grade? Even your 2nd child would enjoy it some. This year my oldest is in 1st grade, the next two are 5 & 3 yrs olds. I'm doing SL K and it has been working well. The 6 & 5 yr olds listen, the 3 yr old...not as much, he comes and goes. We've loved the book selections. The kids regularly ask for their history to be read.

That being said, half way through the year SLK gets weak on history, but we loved the 1st half! We are going to finish everything else of SL K, just not the history (2nd half of yr is more social studies). The boys want MORE history, so....I just received the SOTW 1 AG this week. It looks fabulous! I'm waiting for SOTW 1 textbook to arrive any day so we can get started. I'm going to use the literature books from SL 1 to tie in/supplement this next year and we will see how it goes. The boys are super excited and have already picked out projects that they want to try.

You could always ((whispering)) dog ear the pages.

Or set it down open (face-down) to save your place whenever you're interrupted.

Or color the maps in the book with colored pencils.

Or start Latin in 2nd grade or 4th grade.

Or not follow WTM's science sequence (that one gets my vote).

Or use a math program other than the ones listed in WTM.

Or... ;) So many possibilities!

i didn't even read your post before i answered "yes", but now that I see your post, i still say "yes." do it. you will love it. we love it and have since first grade.

It sounds like they're exactly what you want. Go for it! You can find other ways to rebel. ;) I promise!

:lol:

Thanks everybody, I think we'll give it a go... if it doesn't work I can always sell it on or donate it to my library. :001_smile:

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say a thanks everyone. SOTW arrived a few days ago, DD picks it up, reads the first page and proudly announces 'I'm learning history'... :D Still waiting on my AG to arrive, but so far so good.

Have fun with it! The AG is awesome. My kids couldn't wait to finish listening to each chapter so they could jump right in on an activity for that day. I'll never forget the day they built a replica of the Nile in our backyard. Complete with boats, and little animal figurines, and flooding ... Oy, the flooding! :D

I didn't think I would like it either but was persuaded by a friend to get the text, AG and CD's (review in car or act in my place on busy days). My kids love it. I love it. Tried SL1 in the middle - we all hated it - back to SOTW1 and haven't looked back. In fact, SOTW2 is all planned out (before you gag, I've been in bed for 2 weeks recovering from surgery so I have had a LOT of free time to do such things).

If you try it and don't like it, it will resell quickly.

I'll admit to some confusion. You like the excerpts you read? And the religious aspect and etc., etc., etc. I don't understand why you say you don't like SOTW, when you also so clearly state that you do like it.

Yes, just order it. You can still do your own thing but will have a consistent narrative with which to weave it all together.

:iagree: It is only about $12 at Amazon...Go for it!

I like SOTW. I got mine second hand, so I'm covered first to fourth grade. That said, I have a great used bookstore in town that seems to get a great many history resources. I'm not sure why, but I have picked up some of the best supplementary books there.

One, a large print book called Ancient Egypt, by Daniel Cohen is wonderful, so good, in fact, that I ended up reading a section of it to correspond to SOTW. It was more in depth, with large pictures that really brought the Egypt section to life for the boys. I also like the Kingfisher Atlas of the Ancient World for the map-work; again,large, colorful pictures.

I also love the H.A. Guerber series on Greece and Rome. I learned more about Greek and Roman history in one night that I picked up over my life-time from those two books. While they are a mite dry for my first grade guys, Mom did appreciate the quick history lessons.

You've got to have the CDs and the AG. The book itself I almost never opened or touched since I bought it, but I can't do history with the CDs and the AG. They are the blood/life of the program. I don't think I will love it if I only have the textbook.

I had the CDs for vol. 1 and quickly went back to the book. I like being able to stop while I'm reading to explain something, interject a thought, etc. CDs may not be all that necessary. Everyone is different.

You sound exactly like me! I have all of SOTW books and AG's (bought used) and I just don't like the books. I think because it's just not GREAT literature. I've been doing AmblesideOnline and their amazing booklist (minus the history), and THAT is great literature; I guess I'd become a book snob :001_smile:.

Anyway, after racking my brain for a whole two years, since oldest started K, I have finally decided I will use SOTW next year with my 2nd and Ker for history. It looks like fun for them and easy for me. I'm also sticking with Ambleside, and with all that reading aloud I think I'll take advantage of the SOTW CD's for the kiddos.

Try to buy used. If you end up just not liking them you can sell it right back w/o losing much, if any, $$.