Menu

Mourn the TOG Booth Rep. opportunity with me

Well, I was chosen to do the booth in Orlando and I was thrilled, thrilled, thrilled! Then I read all the way down the email and realized I'll have to be available for the entire conference. I was thinking more like several hours a day.

I'm bummed. I wanted to spend my conference time looking at some high school things, hearing a few speakers, then resting! This is my "me" time with some adult friends who I can relax and cut loose with. I need it more than I need to be in the booth.

I'm sad that I can't have my cake and eat it, too. Please commiserate and wine...I mean whine (ha!)...with me.

Tina, I don't know what the incentives are, but assuming this is a volunteer thing...actually, even if it's not...this is really more their loss than yours. You're the best cheerleader/explainer of TOG of anyone, & I feel sorry for all the people who will stop by the TOG table & not get to talk to *you* about it.

:grouphug:

I also think it's great, though, that you recognized the priority of your needs, & I think your decision is very good. It's SO too bad, but good job defending your time to yourself/with friends!

Well, I was chosen to do the booth in Orlando and I was thrilled, thrilled, thrilled! Then I read all the way down the email and realized I'll have to be available for the entire conference. I was thinking more like several hours a day..

It's a shame they can't choose enough people to allow for breaks...rotating the staff so everyone gets a chance to browse the vendors, sit through a seminar speech, etc.

Aw, boo Tina! Saw your name on the list, and thought you'd be so perfect. Don't you have an assistant for that event?

I'm doing the AL conf. in June, and am excited - but you're right. I'll have to miss out on some visiting and encouragement myself. . . . . . .

Tina, I don't know what the incentives are, but assuming this is a volunteer thing...actually, even if it's not...this is really more their loss than yours. You're the best cheerleader/explainer of TOG of anyone, & I feel sorry for all the people who will stop by the TOG table & not get to talk to *you* about it.

:grouphug:

I also think it's great, though, that you recognized the priority of your needs, & I think your decision is very good. It's SO too bad, but good job defending your time to yourself/with friends!

:iagree:

Having you available the WHOLE time is definitely a kink they need to work on! I could really see that being a problem for others across the country doing this also. Wat a bumma. :glare:

I've worked a TOG booth before, you and your booth mates can work out a break schedule that includes shopping and listening to speakers. Lampstand is fine with that. They simply ask that you not assume that you will be able to take those longer breaks. There are four hostesses scheduled for Orlando, you should be able to work something out.

ETA: in addition to the four hostesses I see Marcia and Scott will be speaking which means they will be at the booth too when not speaking. You'll be busy because they will generate more interest ( I worked a booth when they spoke), but you should get a break. I really enjoyed working along side them and getting to know them better.

Edited by Karenciavo

Aw, boo Tina! Saw your name on the list, and thought you'd be so perfect. Don't you have an assistant for that event? There were 4 selected, but the return email I received did tell me to be available for the whole of the day. In other words, don't anticipate an extended break.

I'm doing the AL conf. in June, and am excited - but you're right. I'll have to miss out on some visiting and encouragement myself. . . . . . .

I'll be prepared to miss out next year. I already made plans with my girlfriends and I can't miss those. I'm looking forward to the vaca time.

So are you sad b/c you are not doing it? Or b/c you are doing it and it is more than you intended?
Chose Not to do it this year, but will still receive the email for next year and since I know what to expect, I'll make sure I take my "me" time another weekend.

There is, btw, a compensation. $150 towards TOG (ala digital edition or Bookshelf).

Thank you all for boo hooing with me.

I'll mourn with you.

Dh and I did a booth for another product a few years ago, but we only did it for one year for the same reason. We could have hired help, but that seemed like more of a hassle. We did make a nice amount of money and some free books, but I *need* my conference time to shop and plan! :D