Menu

Science suggestions - 5th/6th grade

mandymom

Sorry....this is long :)

We are new to homeschooling....hs'ing 4 year old this year, but next fall, I will be bringing all my 4 older dc's home from ps. I have spent the last several months learning about homeschooling in general (reading, listening to podcasts, visiting with other homeschooling families, and extensively exploring this site), and the last month or so started deciding on curriculum.

My problem is what to do about science for my 11 dd. The kids are all really excited about hs'ing except her. She's ok with it, but is not completely on board with the idea. Science is her FAVORITE subject, so I want to get it right.

That said, I will also be a first-time homeschooling mom to 5 kids, and I know my limits to some degree. I need something that is fairly planned out and easy to accomplish. I would also like something pretty rigorous though, as she loves science and her ps has had a pretty good science curriculum. I have a science degree, so science doesn't scare me. I just need help in the planning area.

I originally thought I would go with BJU Science 6, but after looking at it, it is going to require a lot of work putting lesson plans all together. I really like the content, but I'm afraid it's just not practical for us. I looked at and liked NOEO as well, but I'm not sure it is meaty enough. I do need something that has reading, written work, and hands-on activities.

As far as science content/belief systems, we very much believe the Bible in its literal sense, however, I feel fairly comfortable dealing with secular science curriculum as long as it is not super heavy-handed in evolution.

So, any suggestions?

Edited by mandymom

I just bought Evan Moor Daily Science for my kids. It is based on 6 Big Ideas and each Big Idea is split into 5 weeks and further split into 5 days. So, it is pretty much all done for you. I decided that I am going to then add in some more "meat" with some books. I think the highest they go is 6th grade. So, I don't know if that will help with your 11 year old.

Prior to this, we would just read science based books.

Good Luck! :)

We like Rainbow Science. My dd is 13 but my ds is almost 9 and he sits in on the lessons and loves doing the experiments. So far it has been my experience that it can be adapted for a little younger. The Rainbow science is for 7th grade I do believe which is typically about 12 (I think) but being 11 I don't think she would have an issue with it, especially is she loves science.

Don't let the price put you off either. It is for 2 years :)

Just a thought if you are looking for something fairly rigorous. My dd (12) is using Prentice Hall Science Explorer. It is secular, but I have been extremely impressed. I have actually enjoyed a lot of the conversations we've had regarding evolution, global warming, and other topics that have several different views.

My dd is dyslexic, but I started reading the Science Explorer series to both kids when my ds started 6th (dd was 4th). I have the TeacherExpress CDRoms and was able to print "adapted reading" workbooks and tests for her, while using the regular ones for my ds. They both scored 99th National Percentile Ranking on the Iowa Basic Skills test last year. She is now reading the books on her own, since my son has moved up to Physical Science.

Just another idea, but I have been more than pleased with this science program for middle school. My dd is LOVING the Life Science study.

We like Rainbow Science. My dd is 13 but my ds is almost 9 and he sits in on the lessons and loves doing the experiments. So far it has been my experience that it can be adapted for a little younger. The Rainbow science is for 7th grade I do believe which is typically about 12 (I think) but being 11 I don't think she would have an issue with it, especially is she loves science.

Don't let the price put you off either. It is for 2 years :)

Rainbow Science looks really good. I can't wait for his elementary science series to be released! On their website is a nice review from SWB too!