Menu

Lial math users...I have a question

Do you guys use the Digital Video Tutor or just the text book & solution manual? I have heard that the 8th edition is the one to get, so I have been looking for it on the FS boards. I've found the text & solutions books for sale, but nobody is selling the Digital Video Tutor. So what do I need to get for my dd to use this? Math is not a strong subject for me, so I want to be sure she has the support that she needs.

Here is her quote to me.....

"Originally Posted by Jann in TX

Lial's Introductory Algebra is what I use with my online classes. I also used it with my own girls.

I use the 8th edition--the optional videos for the 8th edition will still work on most Windows computers...

Text is less than $20 in "like new" condition. Videos are $35.

Student text is all that is needed -- you could add worked out solutions manual (most of my students DO NOT need/use this) and videos (again my students do not need/use these) later if you needed--isbns for these are on the back of student text. All answers you need are in the back of the text too!"

She has been REALLY helpful with me (in the same predicament as you)! She gave me all kinds of information and her website. I am not sure how she feels about me giving you her website but I am sure you could pm her and ask.

I found my textbook at half.com for $4.99 (that included shipping)! They also have the solution manual and dvt if you go that route. We opted not to get the dvt until we really get into it and see if we need them. The book is very self explanatory.

If you do a search on Lial's Algebra, I am sure you can find lots of her posts. I even found one with a sample of how to break down the lessons!

Hope this helps!

:001_smile:

but we have only used them once, and in that instance we could have figured it out if we had tried a bit harder. I don't think they are necessary, but I have found that I am remembering Algebra better than I expected. That might change as we get deeper into Algebra II.

What I have found to be a nice supplement are the Khan videos. Different slant, calm voice, reassuring manner. If one of my kids is struggling, we switch to Khan for a few days. I REALLY like them. And free is good, yes?

We never needed them. My son found the explanations to be so good in the book that we just didn't need them. When I bought them I found the seventh edition student book and solutions manual but couldn't find eighth. At that time she said there really wasn't much difference between editions except they move things around, so I'd think if you could find a seventh or even ninth edition they'd work but I'd try to do without them. Like I said, we use Intermediate and Pre-Calculus and never needed them, and I'm not a math savvy mom.

The combo text was designed for remedial use for students who have PREVIOUSLY taken Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 but it has been a while and they need a quick refresher course.

When used as an inclusive Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 course (first time through) the reviews are not good... to avoid repeating concepts (traditional overlap of Algebra 1 and Algebra 2) students will need to use advanced concepts much sooner--and without the practice needed for most first-time students.

I do not recommend the combo texts for Algebra.

The combo text was designed for remedial use for students who have PREVIOUSLY taken Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 but it has been a while and they need a quick refresher course.

When used as an inclusive Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 course (first time through) the reviews are not good... to avoid repeating concepts (traditional overlap of Algebra 1 and Algebra 2) students will need to use advanced concepts much sooner--and without the practice needed for most first-time students.

I do not recommend the combo texts for Algebra.

Ok, thanks don't want that, then. I actually found an 8th edition Beginning Algebra on Half.com for less that $5 (including shipping)!! WOO HOO. I really hope this works for dd. Thank you all for your help.:001_smile: