Menu

MCT--WHY???????

dietmom

I have heard lots of positives about this curriculum--so it has piqued my interest. What is it you like about it--and are there parts you would take or leave? Can you just do the grammar part for instance, or do you really need the whole system???? Thanks for your input!!

Perhaps as part of answering your question, people could answer mine?? (please) :001_smile: I'd like to know if the writing component is sufficient. Dh and I want our dds to develop strong written communication skills. Will MCT get us there?

FWIW, I am expecting the Island package to be delivered TODAY!!!! :hurray:

I bought them last year used, several Islands books, and honestly, can't say I care for them. I only got the Teacher Manuals and must admit that maybe I haven't given it enough time. The website stresses the MCT items are for gifted children but in all honesty, in looking through the books, it doesn't seem as though one must be gifted to get it.

We went through the Island Series fall 2010 and thoroughly enjoyed it (except for the vocab book.) While the stories are great AND educational, I'm not positive it will all come together. I decided to proceed w/the next level, the Town series this spring.

I will have to let you know if it's just something fun or if it really works! :D

I bought them last year used, several Islands books, and honestly, can't say I care for them. I only got the Teacher Manuals and must admit that maybe I haven't given it enough time. The website stresses the MCT items are for gifted children but in all honesty, in looking through the books, it doesn't seem as though one must be gifted to get it.

It's like meeting a kindred spirit: other people may not see what you see in him, but he. is. the. other. half. of. you.

I'm sure there are other programs that teach grammar better. If someone has something that's working & just wonders what the excitement is, MCT is probably not worth looking at. The writing assignments are strange.

So what is it? If you're a numbers person, have you ever met someone who GETS numbers? I mean, not just got good grades & could plug the formulas, but someone who SEES infinity w/in ea numeral, someone who can see the humor where other people only see numbers & decimals.

MCT is the grammar version of that.

I have heard lots of positives about this curriculum--so it has piqued my interest. What is it you like about it--and are there parts you would take or leave? Can you just do the grammar part for instance, or do you really need the whole system???? Thanks for your input!!

I bought the whole Island level and the grammar/writing Town level last year, and both of my kids hated the grammar and writing books. Loathed them, begged to not do them. They do however, like the Practice books and Caesar's English. I think the Practice books have been really good for them - my dc seem to retain more information from doing the 4 level sentence analysis than traditional diagramming, so we will continue to use those books. And I'll continue to use Caesar's English, since that's a hit.

The writing part wasn't a good fit, probably because it just was too open ended and didn't give enough structure for my dc to build upon. We've struggled for a couple years trying to find a writing curriculum that ds (specifically, since he's my more challenging student), wouldn't have a total fit about. I finally found Write Shop, and that has really been a good fit for him. He still doesn't like writing, but has enough structure and instruction to be able to write well.

I bought the whole Island level and the grammar/writing Town level last year, and both of my kids hated the grammar and writing books. Loathed them, begged to not do them. They do however, like the Practice books and Caesar's English. I think the Practice books have been really good for them - my dc seem to retain more information from doing the 4 level sentence analysis than traditional diagramming, so we will continue to use those books. And I'll continue to use Caesar's English, since that's a hit.

The writing part wasn't a good fit, probably because it just was too open ended and didn't give enough structure for my dc to build upon. We've struggled for a couple years trying to find a writing curriculum that ds (specifically, since he's my more challenging student), wouldn't have a total fit about. I finally found Write Shop, and that has really been a good fit for him. He still doesn't like writing, but has enough structure and instruction to be able to write well.

I've only done the Island level, but so far, I don't like the writing as a stand-alone, either. BUT I do wish I knew how to upload a video. My kids are SO FUNNY doing some of MCT's writing projects--one can only speak in linking verbs; the other could only speak in action verbs. They beg to "play" that "game," & then they battle ea other w/ words. It leaves me in tears, I'm laughing so hard.

Good grammar game, not the best writing exercise. *shrug* I was more interested in MCT for the grammar than the writing.

We purchased the whole package. I have ds8 doing Island and dd10 doing Town (although they are both on the Island level of poetry & vocab). They both loved the grammar and have retained it really, really well. They are both doing very well in the practice books. They are so-so about the vocab and poetry; some days are more fun than others, but they don't not like them; there just isn't as much love for them as for the grammar. Honestly, I'm not fond of the writing portion. Sentence Island was fine, but Paragraph Town just seemed to miss a whole bunch of writing instruction, at least for us. So we're not using it.

We really really love the grammar, and I'm happy for the exposure to vocab and poetry as well; I probably wouldn't do poetry if not for MCT.

At the island level both kids have used it this year as mostly a grammar program. We also do R&S daily, as well as a daily sentence to edit from The Great Editing Adventure book. MCT has been a fun grammar that makes sense to them. They are both doing 4 part sentence analysis, identifying nouns, verbs, adverbs, adjectives, prepositions, conjunctions, etc. as well as finding the prepositional phrases, Direct Objects, Indirect Objects, or Subject Complements in the sentences. The only grammar instruction they have had prior to MCT Island was a month of The Sentence Family which they also loved. I think it is remarkable for a 7 and 9 year old to be able to do sentence analysis like that and understand what they are doing. We will still do traditional diagramming using R&S, but I don't think I will be giving up MCT anytime soon. ;-)

As far as the writing goes, my eldest dd9 is very good at the writing assignments. She can whip out a poem, simile, or one of the other writing assignments in no time flat. She enjoys them, while my ds7 does not do them as much. I do a lot of them orally with him, so he doesn't have to write so much, and so I can walk him through what MCT is asking of him. This is not our only writing curriculum, as we are also doing WWE, Writing Tales 1 and MC4+ (we switch between WT and MC weekly.. or whenever I feel like it).

*** I would say the poetry is the one book that I haven't enjoyed as much. It might be that I am also tending after a two year old while trying to teach it, and those are not things I know well myself.

Edited by SaDonna