Menu

Rigorous math curriculum?

simka2

Alrighty, shoot straight with me. If you have kids who do not struggle with math, what curriculum do you use? My 9 yr old is working thru Saxon 6/5, one twin(8) is working thru Saxon 5/4 and the other is finishing MUS Gamma.

I haven't done Singapore :confused: I'm not sure why. or what about MEP?

Singapore.

We switched after ds did Saxon 7/6 in second grade. I just was not willing to move to upper level math with him at that point and I knew he needed to learn how to deal with problems that were not so stinking EASY for him!

So we switched to Singapore with ALL the extra challenging stuff. We use the textbook, workbook, Intensive Practice book, and Challenging Word Problems. It has been phenomenal for all three of the guys. I would never, ever, in a million years, switch back.

Singapore.

We switched after ds did Saxon 7/6 in second grade. I just was not willing to move to upper level math with him at that point and I knew he needed to learn how to deal with problems that were not so stinking EASY for him!

So we switched to Singapore with ALL the extra challenging stuff. We use the textbook, workbook, Intensive Practice book, and Challenging Word Problems. It has been phenomenal for all three of the guys. I would never, ever, in a million years, switch back.

Thankyou!!! I probly just need to take the plunge and get my hands on it. Where do I start? (One twin will have a few holes from MUS's mastery approach)

Mine has always done Saxon one year ahead. She never had a problem, until Saxon 3, when we took a month or so break. This year, the ps let her skip 5th grade math and do 6th grade--she's not the only one, at all (I think their math is a little on the easy side). I don't consider her gifted in math. I think Saxon's explanations, practice, drill, and incremental way of doing things just prepared her very well. She's a good problem solver, too.

Thankyou!!! I probly just need to take the plunge and get my hands on it. Where do I start? (One twin will have a few holes from MUS's mastery approach)

On Singapore's website there is a placement test that you can use. Different math programs introduce topics at different levels, so there probably will be some repetition mixed with the new.

Singapore.

:iagree:

Finally, I found a curric that I will use with *all* of them. :tongue_smilie:

Actually -- Saxon. What your children are doing have been typical with what all mine are doing. They are young. Some of mine have had a problem with Algebra in 6th or Algebra 2 in 7th and we have had to slow down, but all of them have worked Saxon. Two have made in through Calculus.

I'm using CLE 4 and TT 5 (because she thinks it's fun) with my 3rd grader. Next year, I'm thinking of continuing on with CLE 5 and then adding in Rightstart's Geometry 2 days a week instead of TT because it looks challenging and fun.

She will also start using Hands On Equations. My son has been using the verbal equations book for the last couple of years and it is very challenging.

That's probably all we'll have time for, but I do also have the Zaccaro Primary Challenge Math book and could use that with her as well.

Lisa

Next year, I'm thinking of continuing on with CLE 5 and then adding in Rightstart's Geometry 2 days a week instead of TT because it looks challenging and fun.

I'll have to check out Rightstart Geometry... CLE just has a ton of geometry in it - it really surprised me.

I forgot to add that we're adding Life of Fred later this year (around Decemberish).

My ds(10) went straight into Singapore 4A after MUS Gamma. He zipped through gamma in 10 weeks, the last semester of 3rd grade!

We use the 4A/B Textbook, Workbook, HIG (for instruction & mental math) & Intensive Practice books. We're currently using the US edition but may switch to the Standards edition when I buy 5A/B. I also want to check out the CWP books when I buy for 5th.

I absolutely LOVE singapore. He is a super-mathy kid and it just feeds the beast!!! ;) He has actually told me, "thanks for getting me this math, mom!" :D

My little one will start Singapore Essentials soon, too.

So yeah, totally love it here. :)

HTH some!!!

Edited by rootsnwings

I'll have to check out Rightstart Geometry... CLE just has a ton of geometry in it - it really surprised me.

I forgot to add that we're adding Life of Fred later this year (around Decemberish).

Yes, CLE does have quite a bit of geometry in it, but RS Geometry takes it way beyond what CLE does and there are lots of drawing lessons in RS. That's what I really think my daughter will enjoy.

A friend of mine used RS G with her son and says that while it didn't all stick with him, it has ignited a love of geometry in him.

Lisa

My two older girls have always been mathy.

Here has been what worked best for them:

Miquon Math for 1st-3rd

Singapore 3A-6B for 3rd-6th

Kinetic Books Algebra I and/or Jacobs Algebra

Jacobs Geometry

Kinetic Books Algebra II

I didn't like Larson's Precalculus (the book that Chalkdust uses), so I'm going to go with Lial's Precalculus next year.

My youngest gets math concepts easily, but she's dyslexic, so she's always had some difficulty with math. Miquon didn't work for her at all. Singapore worked for a while, but then it stopped working. I'd love to have her in Kinetic Books Prealgebra, but she won't do a math program that's on the computer. I'm using MUS this year primarily because it is plain black&white (doesn't do well with color) and it has great review pages. I don't know if I'm going to try Jacobs or Algebra: A Fresh Approach with her next year. I may also buy the student book for MUS Algebra I just for the review pages because she will lose anything she isn't working with all the time. She will either do algebra I over two years or do it two years in a row with two different programs.

I wouldn't go near Saxon for myself or for any of my kids because none of use learn the way that Saxon is set up and just looking at the books is enough to bring us to tears.