Menu

Yet another Geometry question or two

MUS had been the standard in our home until my daughter ran into problems in Algebra. There just wasn't enough practice for her. Then, thanks to this board (esp. Jann in TX) we started using Lial's Algebra and her comprehension improved significantly. I really like this book.

So, now I'm trying to plan Geometry. I am wondering if I should go back to MUS, or use another program. If I use the Holt (that has been recommended) is there an earlier edition than 2007 that can be used (just trying to weigh the costs :001_huh:)?

One more question: Has anyone ever heard of or used Key Curriculum Press Discovering Geometry? And what do you think of it? (Woops two questions.) A teacher friend of mine absolutely loves this book.

I'm wondering about the same thing.

My son is a year or more behind in math. He's doing okay with MUS, but we've noticed that it is moving so slowly through these graphing topics that it's actually more confusing for us than some of the video explaination we've watched on YouTube, which explain three chapter in MUS in just 4 minutes. I've had two moms tell me that MUS geometry gets worse...problems on tests that haven't been covered in the book, incomplete instructions. I'm a little nervouse about purchasing the geometry program (haven't heard anything about the Alg. 2 yet)

There's a part of me that wants to stop the MUS (he's only on lesson 14) and switch to another program I have here, such as the Lial's Introductory algebra I have ready to go for my 8th grader next year, or add LOF program I also have (or even some chapters from my old 1970's Dolcani book)

Anyway, where to turn for geometry?????......

One more question: Has anyone ever heard of or used Key Curriculum Press Discovering Geometry? And what do you think of it?

I own the book but have not used it. It is very hands-on, using a discovery approach. Rainbow Resource has a review of it: http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/Discovering+Geometry%3A+An+Investigative+Approach+Student+Textbook/008054/1299275901-779661

Has anyone ever heard of or used Key Curriculum Press Discovering Geometry? And what do you think of it?

We used MUS from K through Algebra, then continued with Foerster's Algebra. This year, we tried Jacob's Geometry but failed. We switched to Discovering Geometry and it has been a good fit. DG is fairly straight-forward, not proof heavy, and fairly hands-on. I've never used Lial's, though I've looked through it. I think DG would be a good follow-up, fwiw.

I bought the student text, teacher text, solutions manual, and assessment book, along with a box of patty paper.

HTH!

Edited by Sue in St Pete