Menu

Help me choose a math for my K'ers..

cseitter

I have twins that will be doing K. I am trying to decide on a math program for them as I am NOT very good at math or explaining it. I have looked at Singapore, MUS, rightstart and Saxon. I like the looks of Singapore and have heard that if you start with Singapore then it is a good program to keep up.

I have one DD that is Very mathmatical like her father and my DS is more like me and booky (wants to read). What would be a good balance for both of them with a 3 year old little sister tagging along behind?

We are also doing FIAR, HOP and OPGTR, HWT.

Saxon K is light, fun, has lots of manipulatives, little writing, and a script for you to follow. It's not colorful on the page, but you can use colored pencils for the minimum writing that's done--

Or you can skip right into Saxon 1 (we did, continuing to use Saxon ahead by one year, until dd went to 5th this year).

The wonderful advantage I found in Saxon is that the script (which can be followed exactly or paraphrased to feel more "natural") gives you all you need to teach concepts that you might have a hard time finding words for.

My kindergartner is using Rod and Staff's grade 1 arithmetic. It's gentle and fun. She loves all the farm animals and the little felt duck pond we made to go with it. Each lesson has "class time" spelled out for you in the TE, where they'll practice older concepts and learn the new ones. Then you give them a worksheet to do on their own, which reinforces the class time. The TE gives you the actual scripting if you want it, and lays out exactly how to teach the concepts. Instructions for the duck pond and other manipulatives are in the TE too.

I do RightStart with my 5yo and my 3yo tags along. I really love the approach and the kids enjoy it. I think they are getting a really excellent foundation and I am even learning to think about math differently. After we finish all the levels in RS, my plan is start Singapore with them.

Rightstart and Saxon are totally scripted so you wouldn't have to worry if you feel unsure about teaching math. They are completely different types of programs though. Saxon is more 'worksheety' and RS is very hands-on, minimal writing.

I've not seen or tried Math U See, but I've that it is pretty easy to teach. There is a video that the child watches first that explains the concept and then the child does the worksheet.

But if the child doesn't 'get it' you would need to teach it. But I'm guessing the video would be good at giving you ideas.

Rightstart and Saxon are totally scripted so you wouldn't have to worry if you feel unsure about teaching math. They are completely different types of programs though. Saxon is more 'worksheety' and RS is very hands-on, minimal writing.

I've not seen or tried Math U See, but I've that it is pretty easy to teach. There is a video that the child watches first that explains the concept and then the child does the worksheet.

But if the child doesn't 'get it' you would need to teach it. But I'm guessing the video would be good at giving you ideas.

Just want to say that, at the K level, there aren't worksheets (well, just a few) for Saxon.

RightStart is nice for little ones, but I think Singapore is more rigours. Especially the Intensive Practice and Word Problem books. RightStart has a lot of games and manipulative which little kids like.

In a perfect world, I would like to combine the two!

My K'er is using MM Grade 1 this year. We just take it slow and it's going very well. The instruction is right on the sheet so it's very easy to implement. Your mathy child could go faster and your not-so-mathy one could go a bit slower...

I did Saxon K with DD when she was 4, it was o.k., it was pretty easy though and I think we could have skipped it.

DS is 5 and I just started doing K with him, we're doing Right Start A and I think it's REALLY GREAT. I will do A and B with him and I think I will pull DD(7) in for some lessons too.