Menu

Questions about dual enrollment in Colorado???

Greetings:)

My husband is looking at a job in Boulder, Colorado. I have always homeschooled in Florida so I'm a little nervous about all this. I'm hoping someone here can help me calm down a little:)

I have been searching for information on dual enrollment. I see that it is offered, but the sites have been very vague about who pays for this. Here in Florida it is free to homeschoolers -- we do have to buy the books. All I can find on this subject is that the school district "may" pay for it. What does this mean????

My oldest is currently dual enrolled and he is doing very well -- all A's. We won't be able to pay for classes so this may be a show stopper for us -- which would really disappoint my husband....

Help!!

Shannon

In Florida the classes are free so -- since our oldest is capable -- it only makes sense to take advantage of some free college credits. I guess even though you have to pay for the class you do get a head start while the kids are still living under your roof thereby saving room and board expenses.

The Florida state schools also give up to a 5.0 GPA for dual enrollment classes -- which makes my oldest really stand out for entrance and scholarships. Do they do that in CO?

I'm trying to get all the info I can so that my husband and I can sit down and discuss the pros and cons....

You may also want to look at charter schools near where you would live. There are a couple near me that have "Early College" options for full-time or part-time students. They enroll your kid in their charter school then send them to CC with the money the state gives them for highschool. Otherwise, its just pay as you go.

To give you a ballpart figure--my two children's classes this semester are running us $1600! Fortunately, my dd is using a book from the fire dept and the other two classes don't have texts, so that is not added in there. Our students fees are out the roof and are only going to go up--building a new gym and just built a fancy ned student center. Don't get me started...

Is that $1600 per class or for all of their classes? If it's for more than one, then that's really not bad for an university, not cc. We pay about $800/class (including fees, not including books) here at a state university. You can get a $300/semester grant while dual enrolling though. I haven't seen too many public universities (non-cc) under $250-300 credit/hour.

Margaret - That is at CSU, not a CC, right? When my next one gets to highschool, I'm going to be knocking on your door, bearing gifts and begging for help. Expect me in 4 or 5 years. :)

My ds took classes at ppcc in highschool which were much less expensive. The next has been watching those gliders at the AFA dreamingly every week.

My ds starts high school next year, so I am very interested in this thread. We do have an option in the Boulder area and I thought I would throw it out there. My kids are in a part-time ps program for homeschoolers (only) that meets one day a week and is run by a public school district. They have sites that meet all along the Front Range, from Estes Park to Colorado Springs. My kids love the program.

Here's info from their site... "Students who are juniors in high school may be eligible for up to two (2) pre-approved classes per semester at a community college/university. The School will reimburse tuition. Parents are responsible for fees and texts. Class time is counted for contact hours.

Hmmmmm...interesting. Thanks for the info ladies.

My husband is dusting off his resume right now. He is applying for a position at UC Boulder. Do you know if they allow dual enrolled students?

Also, if we are paying our own way there is no limit on the number of classes, right? How does the Colorado state university system enroll students with dual enrollment credits? Here in FL they are treated as freshmen applicants no matter how many college credits they have. Is that the same in CO?