Menu

Unabridged audiobooks vs reading a book

My 10yo (11 in a couple of months) will not read for pleasure and getting her to read for school beyond her workbooks is pretty pointless since she has zero retention. I would love for her to love to read, but it isn't who she is right now. I was thinking about hunting down some good unabridged audio books that she could listen to on her iPod. Do you consider listening to an audio book the same as "reading" that book? Where is the best place to purchase good quality audio books without breaking the bank?

Purchase? Purchase? Such words! :D

The library is where we go and yes the library has mp3 audio books we can listen to. I happen to use the CD format in the vehicle as we are going here and there.

BUT you can check it out at the library as well. Otherwise I would just look at the apple store or amazon for the mp3 format of the books.

As for it being the same as reading? Yes and no. Yes becasue they are still getting the story and using their imagination. No because they aren't reading the words and advancing their reading skills.

That being said I think audio books might just plant a seed of love of books! Can't hurt to try!

Librivox has a wide selection of out of copyright books available for free download (my 6yo is listening to Heidi right now and loves it.) The readers are volunteers, some better than others, I understand.

An Audible subscription might be a good choice for you, too ... it is owned by Amazon. I don't know entirely how it works, but at least it wouldn't be a "thing" to buy, just a download.

One of my sons was delayed in reading and didn't enjoy it at all...

When he was that age, we started with audiobooks. He would follow along with the actual book about half the time (because I told him to, not because he wanted to!). I wanted to increase his desire to read and enjoy it, but also increase his reading skills. I also took him to hear someone (I cannot believe his name has slipped my mind) who was popular for his audio books. He did a local workshop and I took my son and he heard this man's telling of how he was young and couldn't wait to develop the skills to read great stories... He talked about some topics that weren't applicable, but my son was really inspired to "want" to read more. About a year or so later we would go to the bookstore together and I would let him pick out a book and he would earn spending money for reading it. That really did motivate him and it worked for about another year.

After that he didn't do any extra reading outside of schooling requirements until 10-11th grade. Similar scenario... he was taken to the book store to find a series of books that he would enjoy. He picked out Halo novels. It might not have been classics, but he got into it and has read many of them. One day he got into the book and when he stretched and looked around the room, he realized he "wasn't a spartan"!!! He reads much more for enjoyment now... I think being around others who love to read has rubbed off a little on him!! He is also much more mature, realizing how being well read will increase his scholastic ability and he wants a solid career, so he wants to have great SAT scores, etc. (I know that doesn't apply to your child, who is much younger... just sharing how it turned out for us...)

Edited by BMW

I often have an audiobook playing in the car whenever we're out driving around. (Something I think my son and I will both enjoy.) I find it's nice to be able to "discuss" what we're listening to. (Casually.) My son needs help with literary analysis, and this way we're both "reading" the book together, so I can make little comments occasionally about things I notice in the book.

Currently we just started listening to "Three Men in a Boat" by Jerome K. Jerome. Next will probably be "Journey to the Center of the Earth" by Jules Verne (read by Tim Curry). I also bought a dramatized version of "The Odyssey", to help ds remember the story before he reads it next year for literature. (And I bought audiobooks of "The Iliad" and "The Odyssey" for him to use if he needs them.)

I have an Audible membership. For $14.95 a month, I get one credit which can be used to purchase any audiobook. Plus I get a discount on additional audiobooks. I listen to audiobooks when I'm working out at the gym, and ds and I both like to listen to them in the car, so it's been a good deal. Our library sometimes has what we're looking for as well.

Wendi

The library is where we go and yes the library has mp3 audio books we can listen to. I happen to use the CD format in the vehicle as we are going here and there.

BUT you can check it out at the library as well. Otherwise I would just look at the apple store or amazon for the mp3 format of the books.

As for it being the same as reading? Yes and no. Yes becasue they are still getting the story and using their imagination. No because they aren't reading the words and advancing their reading skills.

That being said I think audio books might just plant a seed of love of books! Can't hurt to try!

I live in a small town. Our library has an okay selection of audio books on CD, but no mp3 format options.

Librivox has a wide selection of out of copyright books available for free download (my 6yo is listening to Heidi right now and loves it.) The readers are volunteers, some better than others, I understand.

An Audible subscription might be a good choice for you, too ... it is owned by Amazon. I don't know entirely how it works, but at least it wouldn't be a "thing" to buy, just a download.

I've downloaded from Librivox before and haven't really found a reader that works for me. I might still try it for a few of the classics. I mean free is free, right?

I have an Audible membership. For $14.95 a month, I get one credit which can be used to purchase any audiobook. Plus I get a discount on additional audiobooks. I listen to audiobooks when I'm working out at the gym, and ds and I both like to listen to them in the car, so it's been a good deal. Our library sometimes has what we're looking for as well.

Wendi

Do you typically find their books to be more expensive before they apply the % off? Do you really feel there is a savings? I don't know if I could convince DH to spend that each month, but I might sign up for the 30 day free trial and get the 2 free books to see if she enjoys them.

The library :D

And yes..my 7yo is the same way. He reads, but LOOOOVES audio books, so we supplement his reading time with audio books. He will be entranced with one he can listen to, and it's still building his language even further than his reading!

Do you typically find their books to be more expensive before they apply the % off?

No. $15/book is quite expensive, sure. But I've found audiobooks are just plain expensive compared to regular print books :(

Check out Half Price Books (and Half Price Books online) for audiobooks on CD for cheaper.

I've had my son listen to audiobooks while following along in the actual book. This lets him "read" books that would be too hard or discouraging for him.

I don't buy audiobooks, though. Library only.

Do you typically find their books to be more expensive before they apply the % off? Do you really feel there is a savings? I don't know if I could convince DH to spend that each month, but I might sign up for the 30 day free trial and get the 2 free books to see if she enjoys them.

Yes! I've gotten books that are priced between 50 and 75 bucks for my one credit! When you have the subscription, you also get member prices, so the books are discounted too. The price has come down considerably in the past few years, but there are still those that are astronomical. If the book is less than $15, I'll just buy it at the sale price. I have gotten the boys several books for around $8, so it's been good. Our library doesn't have a very good or large selection so this has been great for us. I'll shop around too, sometimes iTunes will have something cheaper than audible, but more often audible is the cheapest.

PS

Can't wait to get Journey to the Center of the Earth this week! DS is currently reading it and I think it'll be fun to listen to.

Well after much consideration I went to the library today and checked the actual book out for DD. I really wanted her to read Percy Jackson and The Lightning Thief (yes I know not great literature). We have seen the movie a couple of times and I am always telling her how very different the movie is from the book. After much humming and hawing about having to sit down and read for 30 minutes before she could call her friend, she sat down and read for 45 minutes without realizing it. She only made it about 10 pages into the book, but she did it and wants to read more of the book so this is a good sign. I am hoping since she kinda sorta somewhat knows the storyline she will be able to retain more as she reads. She has found big differences already in just the first chapter.

I also checked out Tales of a 4th Grade Nothing to listen to in the car since my boys really love listening to audio books when we go places.

My son doesn't like reading fiction but will read and enjoy non-fiction. Dd6 still isn't reading but loves being read to. I have 4 children and am trying to school 3 of them. Audiobooks have been immensely helpful for all of those situations. We have covered far more books than we would have if we didn't have them.

We have an audible membership. I think it is well worth it. Many titles are the same as buying the paper and ink versions - I'm thinking specifically of the Beverly Cleary books.

My husband and I listen to books together and discuss them later. This doesn't happen with books we read.

I can't stand using Audible... for some reasonit fails on me every time. A friend mentioned to me recently that it did the same to her. She also said that the readers weren't always very good.

GOOD audiobooks are definitely expensive, however I've found they're worth it. My girls listen to them over and over again. We only buy them at Christmas and for birthdays and the grandparents are good about buying them as well. But if you had to, you could call it a 'homeschool' expense and just go for it! ;) I can always get the classics in hard copy at the library but I can't always get the audio version. It's nice to have some great 'books' on cd that have kept my girls off the tv and growing their *listening comprehension* (read Andrew Pudewa's article this month)and vocabulary at the same time.

Well after much consideration I went to the library today and checked the actual book out for DD. I really wanted her to read Percy Jackson and The Lightning Thief (yes I know not great literature). We have seen the movie a couple of times and I am always telling her how very different the movie is from the book. After much humming and hawing about having to sit down and read for 30 minutes before she could call her friend, she sat down and read for 45 minutes without realizing it. She only made it about 10 pages into the book, but she did it and wants to read more of the book so this is a good sign. I am hoping since she kinda sorta somewhat knows the storyline she will be able to retain more as she reads. She has found big differences already in just the first chapter.

I also checked out Tales of a 4th Grade Nothing to listen to in the car since my boys really love listening to audio books when we go places.

Percy Jackson is what got my DS reading fiction. I made him read the book before he could see the movie--they're mythology fanatics and have only become more so in the last year. This was the first "big" book that he read on his own just after turning 10 and he has since gone on to read all the others by Riorden--there are two other series in addtion to Percy Jackson. Wishing you all the best. My boys love the audio books too, although I won't let DS listen to an audio until after he has read the book, but since he's reading so much better on his own now, I'm not so worried about him "cheating." His little brother enjoys being able to hear the stories too and they listen to some audio book every night. (The How to Train your Dragon series is pretty good too and if she's seen that movie and liked it, the books may be a treat. The first is very different, and DS should have book 6 finished tonight, they're fast reads for him.)

As for it being the same as reading? Yes and no. Yes because they are still getting the story and using their imagination. No because they aren't reading the words and advancing their reading skills.

:iagree::iagree: