Menu

Singapore Math: Do you need a Home Instructor's or Teacher's Guide for first grade?

Guest annieplantaricyetmez

Guest annieplantaricyetmez

I know that the publisher says you need a Home Instructor's or Teacher's Guide for Primary Mathematics, but has anyone doing 1A or 1B (standards edition) done ok without one? I understand the philosophy behind the curriculum (concrete and hands-on before abstract concepts) but I wonder how much we would miss out on without one? I ask because I am trying to keep my costs down and cannot find a used guide for sale. Thanks, Annie

I know the teacher's guide is for classroom use, and the home instructor's guide is geared towards homeschoolers. Unless you are comfortable with the singapore math concepts and way of teaching, the HIG may be a good investment. Maybe you could borrow from friend or flip through it in a bookstore to see what teaching concepts are covered?

I think the HIG is extremely valuable, but if you understand the method you could probably survive 1A without it. I personally think it is worth the cost because the tips that are in the HIG have been extremely helpful with my 6 yr old, but my older son could certainly have done just fine in 1A without any of those teaching tips. (I am not mathematically talented at all and rely very heavily on the HIG, so much so that I will probably reuse them with all of my children even after having taught the material previously.)