Menu

Free educational opportunity - but the kids have ZERO interest. Do they get a vote?

Our community is celebrating the birthday of Frederick Douglass this weekend and, in conjunction, there are a number of events being offered. We have not been able to attend any of them, but I had hoped to take part in a free play which is being performed this afternoon. Trouble is, neither of my kids is interested in attending. Some part of me can't blame them. It's Saturday. It's a beautiful day. We got up early for farmers' market, yesterday we did hs co-op, reading tutoring, and rowing practice, so we were gone all day. Tomorrow we'll be up and out by 6:00 am to drive dd13 to Baltimore for a crew regatta. So, today, the girls just want to hang loose, do little, or have the chance to do what they want.

But I feel some level of disappointment to miss this free opportunity which has been well reviewed.

If you were me, would you go with the flow or would you insist the kids go to the play?

Just curious.

I do "force" my oldest to do things he claims to have no interest in sometimes (right now, in fact, DH is taking him to a worm composting class at the nature center, and I had to pretty much push him out the door)....but this is because he NEVER wants to try anything new on his own. He'd stay home every day if I left it up to him. Given how hectic the rest of your weekend sounds, I think I'd let this one go, personally.

I would insist they go. I don't know why, though, now that I think about it. But, I do think I would drag everyone to the event. In fact, I have done just that sort of thing. But then, I also took a 1 year old to the Olympics in '96 just so he could say he had been to the Olympics. My parents took us to all sorts of things in Baltimore and DC when we were growing up. I remember the King Tut exhibit, a couple of inaugerations, the Tall Ships, etc. I don't think we necessarily wanted to go, but go we did. And we remember them. (Actually, my little sister does not remember the King Tut exhibit.)

I wouldn't force them to go to a one-time event like this. We have pushed to try a new sport, an art class -- that kind of thing -- but I wouldn't push for something like this which would have very little impact (IMO, especially since they're not interested to begin with).

Is it possible to make it fun with the addition of a picnic or a treat? Or is it inside when they want to be outside. Normally I'd push, but with the busy week you're describing I might be the one wanting to stay home.

Can you go without them? Sounds like it would be fun for you!