Menu

s/o of the Algebra 1 thread- Can you tell me about Kinetic Books Algebra 1?

We are currently using Chalkdust but I see you can buy a 1 year license for Kinetic books algebra 1 for 49.95. What else do I need to buy? The textbook or is it completely on the computer? Practice problems, explinations, tests, quizzes? Admittedly I have not done much research (I am on a tight time frame tonight) but if anybody could give me an idea that way I will know whether I want to research this LOL (I take a long time to decided new things :001_smile:)

It says its a rigorous course, would my dd do ok with it after finishing CD pre-algebra and LOF Pre-Algebra 1 and 2? Thanks

[quote name=wy What else do I need to buy? The textbook or is it completely on the computer? Practice problems, explinations, tests, quizzes?

It says its a rigorous course, would my dd do ok with it after finishing CD pre-algebra and LOF Pre-Algebra 1 and 2? Thanks[/quote]

Yes, it includes it all. We used LOF PA 1 and 2 and I think it prepared my son for Kinetic Alg 1, though we did Kinetic Pre Alg as well so I'm sure that was helpful.

I think it is pretty rigorous. I'm not 'mathy' as they say, but I've been impressed with it. You can't 'fake' your way through (like my son tried with Teaching Textbooks) because it won't allow you to move on until you've answered correctly on practice sets. It has stumped him on several occasions and he is a strong math student.

We really like it--will be glad to answer any other questions you have!

We love it too, but I would spend the extra $30 to get the homeschool edition. There have been some issues when I couldn't figure out how to answer a problem he was having trouble with-this is the standardized test and interactive problems-and we have no answer key or solutions manual for those. Other than that we love it and plan to continue through the series and will probably do the Physics as well.

Yes, it includes it all. We used LOF PA 1 and 2 and I think it prepared my son for Kinetic Alg 1, though we did Kinetic Pre Alg as well so I'm sure that was helpful.

I think it is pretty rigorous. I'm not 'mathy' as they say, but I've been impressed with it. You can't 'fake' your way through (like my son tried with Teaching Textbooks) because it won't allow you to move on until you've answered correctly on practice sets. It has stumped him on several occasions and he is a strong math student.

We really like it--will be glad to answer any other questions you have!

Is it fully self contained? I mean, does it do all the correcting and everything for you? (it looks as though it does)

So I am looking at the website and it says homeschool Algebra 1 49.99 and printed textbook 24.95. What is the online homework? If its done on the computer is the printed textbook necessary? I love chalkdust but I REALLY like Kinetic's priceif I am looking at this correctly. :001_smile:

We love it too, but I would spend the extra $30 to get the homeschool edition. There have been some issues when I couldn't figure out how to answer a problem he was having trouble with-this is the standardized test and interactive problems-and we have no answer key or solutions manual for those. Other than that we love it and plan to continue through the series and will probably do the Physics as well.

Ok Im lost... Here I see a homeschool edition for 49.99 and a different one for 34.99... Where is the $30 price difference? Am I looking at something wrong. Or is that including the textbook? :confused:

The cd and web access are the same. It's just that you need an internet connection for web access. Also you can use the cd on only one computer (not one computer at a time, one computer period).

The hs version is on sale for $50, but the regular price is $80.

I've used KB Algebra I and Algebra II. I think it's a great program.

The cd and web access are the same. It's just that you need an internet connection for web access. Also you can use the cd on only one computer (not one computer at a time, one computer period).

The hs version is on sale for $50, but the regular price is $80.

I've used KB Algebra I and Algebra II. I think it's a great program.

Does it go on sale just once a year? Or more than that? (usually?) Or is this a one shot sale? Dd isnt ready yet- we got a bit behind because of some circumstances that came up so she still has a few chapters to go in CD. I think we may go with this either way but I like sales :D

I'm not sure if this will be helpful, but I'll throw it out there.

My 7th grader is currently midway using KB Pre-Algebra, but will be using Chalkdust Algebra I next year. We own both the Web Access and the CD version (which I bought last year, before opting for the web version instead this year). She uses the web version currently.

She enjoys KB, but there just aren't enough practice problems for her. She says Kinetic Homework usually has about 7 problems, though she's had as few as three. The lessons don't have many problems either.

I think it would be a great fit for my son, who doesn't need much practice. My 7th grader is good at math, and enjoys it, but definitely needs a bit more.

She enjoys KB, but there just aren't enough practice problems for her. She says Kinetic Homework usually has about 7 problems, though she's had as few as three. The lessons don't have many problems either.

Really? Dd does really good with math, but she is NOT a natural math kid, kwim? Is that with the textbook? Or just what is on the computer? I also saw that there is a homework book or packet. Do those bring the amount of practice up? Dd does so well with chalkdust because I can assaign 10-15 problems and move her on if she understands and does well, but if not she can watch the video again and do more (they have a ton of practice problems lol) I absolutely love Chalkdust (she doesnt) but its sooooo expensive :confused: