Menu

Do your 3rd-4th graders have homework?

I know, I know, it's all "home"work (haha!) but seriously, do your kids have work they need to complete on their own after you're done with them? Are there benefits to having some extra work that they need to do independently? I don't assign any homework, ever, but if my oldest doesn't finish his work it has happened, once or twice, that he's needed to complete it on the weekend, on his time.

My half-sister, who is in a 4th grade gifted ps program, has TWO HOURS or more of homework a night!! :confused:

A lot of times the math written work around here is homework. We may go over the lesson and review and do flashcards and all of that during the day. But then she may have to sit with book and paper in the P.M. sometimes.

Then of course there are reading assignments. Those can come at anytime. And sometimes if we are working on an extra project or didn't get something done during the week then I will ask her to do it over the weekend or in the evening hours. (Like a science fair project or something for a competition she is entering.)

But no, she does not get a couple hours of busywork every night.

My dd would do about 10 minutes of her Saxon math right after the lesson, and then save the rest for "homework" later in the evening or day (like right before dinner or right after). Splitting it up seemed to work well for her, as she could come back to it a little refreshed. It also meant we could go on with the rest of the day and not wait for the math to be done.

Nope, my kids never have homework. Dd13 just whizzes through hers. I wonder sometimes if I need to get harder stuff for her :glare:. My ds8 doesn't whiz through but does get it done in a timely fashion. Well as long as I am standing there or his sister is helping him. He isn't all that great at working independently yet.

Besides we don't have to cram all that crud they shove into kids heads all into a 180 days. (That was a bad sentence but hey I am immune in conversation when I am talking and I am essentially talking now :tongue_smilie:) We have the luxury of taking 200 days or 220. Shoot technically it is 365 since they really do learn something new everyday!

Yes, my children have "homework". The idea of homework came about when I got tired of waiting for the slow-poke-of-the-day to complete an assignment before we moved on to the next subject. One or the other child (both working at same grade level) would hold us up and drag out the school day.

I took on a new approach of teaching the lesson and giving a sufficient amount of time for the accompanying independent work to be completed. Anyone that doesn't finish that work in the allotted time frame sets it aside and resumes working on it after I have finished teaching all the lessons for the day, making it "homework". I'm available for questions and help if they need it, but it's no longer holding up the other subjects and putting the entire family behind.

This has done a lot to improve my mental health.

My 4th grader has to finish his math in the allotted time, if he doesn't (he use to dawdle like there was no tomorrow), he has to finish it after the rest of our lessons before he is able to have any tv time. This hasn't happened in awhile since he's much better at working through his lesson on time. It was meant as a deterrent since he was dragging math out for so long.

My daughter did not know what homework was until a few months ago!! Someone asked her if she got homework and she just stared at them blankly and did not say anything.

She requested some once, so I gave her some. Normally, she does not get homework. I mostly sit with her, but she can do math on her own when I need her to as long as it is not a new topic.

She can also help her brother with his work on days I need her to do that, but her work other than math is not very independent.

She could do something like CLE independently, but we prefer MCT, I enjoy reading it, too. We read extra today because she wanted to find out what happened with a story line.

I give DD work that I suppose is homework. We often get busy on Fridays and I will let her choose a couple of things she does independently anyway and let her finish them on the weekend. I also let her choose when she will do her assigned reading for lit, so I suppose that is like homework, too.