Menu

How do you military HS moms sell your curricula while overseas?

I just found out that we can not use the military post office (APO) to send anything we sell - even if it is at a loss - like the math book I paid $100 for and am selling it at $45, at a $55 loss. That is not profit, that is loss.

Also, how are we to sell the very expensive college texts every 8 weeks? What a financial hardship :glare:

So, how do you military HS moms sell your curricula while overseas?

I just found out that we can not use the military post office (APO) to send anything we sell - even if it is at a loss - like the math book I paid $100 for and am selling it at $45, at a $55 loss. That is not profit, that is loss.

Also, how are we to sell the very expensive college texts every 8 weeks? What a financial hardship :glare:

Maybe it depends on the APO office. When we were in Japan, there was no restriction on using it to bring in things like Pampered Chef. Nor did they blink any eyes over all of the books that I sent out through Paperback Swap.

I once had a detailed and specific conversation with one of the mail petty officers about our homeschool group using the APO to order books through Scholasitic. The guidance was that there was no problem with that, as long as we did not then resell the books and use the MPS system for delivery. In other words, sending and receiving through the APO was fine. Using the MPS system to avoid postage on items we were selling wasn't.

That was in the Pacific on a military base with a military run post office. On the other hand, I had a totally different explanation years ago when we were using an APO at a state department posting. There seemed to be far more restrictions there. I don't know if that was because of agreements that State has with the USPS or with the military or with the different host nation.

I guess my best advice is to just keep asking specific questions and ask for them to show you the regs that demonstrate the restrictions. The answer might still be no, but if you are just selling personal items, rather than trying to run a business, you might get a different answer.

I imagine that it also depends on the SOFA. I remember visiting Germany back in the mid 1990s. The base paper was full of angry letters to the editor because a lot of home businesses were being shut down as violating the SOFA agreement. Not only home sales, but also things like cake decorating, if the baker was buying ingredients at the commissary.

Anyway, keep asking questions and ask for documentation rather than just conventional wisdom.

I also sold some books at a support group curriculum day and via our email group.

For college texts, I would sometimes see things advertised on bulletin boards, in Stars & Stripes or on the Japan Bases website (a non-military board for the base communities).

And like Tammy, I gave a lot of stuff to the library or to other homeschoolers. But then, I was usually giving away things I'd used for three kids.

What you are trying to do is DIFFERENT than what the reg's are for. I know this for sure and certain because the "charming" children who ran the Postal Oriface in my housing area (under the main base where Lisa was at) gave me serious problems when I was first here.

You can not sell goods. You CAN sell personal stuff that you have used. So, I can sell MUS stuff that I am done using, but I can not sell MUS to consumers. I can unload the SL stuff that I didn't use or am done using, but not sell Brand Spanking New (fill in the blank).

I have no problem selling my American purchased products. Now, I haven't tried to do this (cause I have no reason) but you have to pay import fees if you want to sell local stuff.

HTH

Kris