Menu

Time to receive Rainbow order?

kls126s

I noticed on another thread that someone had been waiting a LONG time for their Rainbow order to arrive - something like a couple months?! :blink:

What's your experience on order time for RR? I was planning to order in pieces but now wonder if I should get my whole order in now? We are planning to start the next curriculum in mid-June.

Mine has almost always taken about a week. One time, things were on backorder. I just kept in close contact with them about that. They did ship separately in that situation. If you are concerned, you should contact them with what you are interested in and ask what the turn around time is and if everything is in stock.

I ordered from them last year and it took about 2 weeks. I just looked at the other RR thread. If I looked at the post you were concerned about, that person is in Europe, not the US, so that would explain the delay in shipping.

RR does get into a busy season, I'm not sure when that starts, but if you are able to order now, I just go ahead and do it.

The person i saw that was waiting that long was in Italy and had used Media Mail Shipping.

RR will normally (ok, they used to - do they still?) tell you when things are shipping - "orders received today are leaving our warehouse in a week" type of deal. I use that as a guideline for whether or not to pay the $10 extra to expedite the order - in the busy time from now until September.

I haven't had to order from them in over a year though, the COnvention is falling at the right time for me finally!

OK, it's still there - on the home page:

Orders are leaving our warehouse 1 week or less from when they are entered

And this from their FAQ's

What if I need my order shipped as quickly as possible?

Various express shipping options, including Priority Mail, UPS 3-Day Select, 2-Day Air, and Next-Day Air are available, although at a higher shipping charge.

We also offer an “expedite” service on urgent orders. For an additional $10, your order will be moved to the “front of the line”. These orders usually go out the next day, but always go out within 2 days of receipt of order.

RR used to be notorious for extremely long shipping times, but that was years ago. For the past 5 years or so, they've been pretty good at sending orders out within one week, so that you get them within 2-3 weeks if you're in the continental US. When I first started hsing, they sometimes waited 2-3 months to send out your order, even when it was placed off-season, like February.

We ordered at the end of March and had everything in 2 weeks. I'm still amazed at how happy I am with our choices for next year, everything decided but Latin - I had thought we'd start in 3rd grade but she is such a strong reader now that she may benefit from trying next year. Maybe we'll add it mid-year :)

That was me that said my order was taking a long time. I have a FPO address, so media mail (which is what RR uses for their free shipping) takes a LOOOOOONG time. It's not RR's fault. It's the crappy military postal system. I just received an Ebay auction that was shipped at the end of Feb., lol.

I placed an order in April and received it within a week. Their website will tell you how long it's taking them to place orders of items they have in stock. The longest I've ever waited is 2-3 weeks, and they've always told me it would be that long. I think their season is gradually getting busier now as conventions are going. In the summer and early fall it takes longer because so many people order then.

In five years I've only ever had one mistake, which was this spring and it was quickly and easily remedied (someone packed the wrong book--I already have the replacement book). I've had a couple of backorders, and they've always communicated well with me, even sent me postcards if the delivery date from the publisher was delayed.

That was me that said my order was taking a long time. I have a FPO address, so media mail (which is what RR uses for their free shipping) takes a LOOOOOONG time. It's not RR's fault. It's the crappy military postal system. I just received an Ebay auction that was shipped at the end of Feb., lol.

Actually, this isn't the complete picture.

Rainbow Resource does *not* use media mail for their free shipping within the continental US. They only use media mail if you are outside the contiguous 48 states. You have to look *deep* in their shipping FAQs to find this information.

That's why it normally only takes a week or two to receive orders.

I recently moved from North Carolina to Hawaii.

The first order I placed after moving here seemed like it was taking forever. After 6 weeks I got a phone call (at 6:30 in the morning) because my package had been addressed incorrectly and they needed the correct address. At that time I went ahead and paid for priority shipping. When actually received the order it was small enough that it would have fit in a flat-rate box.

It would be cheaper *and* faster for me to have had it shipped to one of my family member, have them stick it in a flat rate box and ship it to me.

Rainbow Resource really needs to look at its shipping policies for people outside the lower 48. As it stands, I would be really hesitant to use them for a big order OCONUS.

So, it was not the military mail system (I don't get a military post office box here in Hawaii), it's the fact it was sent media mail.

When we lived in Europe I generally got items very quickly through my APO unless it was sent media mail. Media mail is *always* extremely slow.

Normally, I receive my order within seven to ten days of ordering. The RR site says they will hold an order for five days to try and fulfill backordered items. After that they ship the instock items and will mail the bo separately.

I have always received my order within two weeks, but I don't order from them June-August.

Melinda

I see what you're saying, but if I lived stateside and it was sent media mail, I'd have it already. With a FPO though, it's shipped to New Jersey and turned over to MPS (since we're in Europe). SINCE it's media mail AND a large package, it gets stamped SAM (space available). IF they have room, they will put it on a plane, otherwise it sits in a container until the container is full and gets put on a ship to head my way (an apparently REALLY slow ship). This is what the guys at the Post Office told us when we asked why we hadn't recieved some Ebay auctions before. Most things eventually do show up, so I'm not worried about it quite yet. In hindsight, I should have paid for the priority shipping because it's my first year homeschooling and it would have been nice to be able to check the stuff out and return it for a refund if I wasn't happy with it. Now, by the time I receive it, it will be outside the 30 days and I'll have to pay the restocking fee if I return it. Next time I'll know better.

When we lived in Europe I generally got items very quickly through my APO unless it was sent media mail. Media mail is *always* extremely slow.

Now I would not say that. I have been shipping things media mail lately and it is arriving fast than the priority mail is. I sent something from Wyoming to Tenn. last Thursday with medial mail and it was there that Friday. No joke and there have been others like this also. So, it really just depends on how well the PO is actually working at that point in time. (just my opinion)

Now I would not say that. I have been shipping things media mail lately and it is arriving fast than the priority mail is.

Media mail is unpredictable, and they usually say 2-9 business days. It often depends on just how much mail is being processed at the time. Rainbow doesn't usually use media mail, but when they sent me the correct book from my order (this only time they made a mistake--I always order enough to get free shipping), they sent the one book media mail. And it came extremely quickly.