Menu

What reading programs are a good precursor to morpheme spelling approaches?

rafiki

I used Funnix to teach both my children to read. When we would get to a point where they'd get stuck, I'd switch over to Hooked on Phonics for a bit. They enjoyed both programs. I did use SWR with my son for 2 years before moving onto Spelling Through Morphographs. I didn't focus on the rules at all other than introducing a few real basic ones such as the reasons for the silent final e. I do think extending the period he was focusing on phonics was a real benefit for him, even though the morphographic approach has been great for him (and such a relief as SWR was taking me forever to do with him each day).

My son then moved onto Spelling Through Morphographs by SRA. I didn't use level A of that program with him, but I think we picked up wth C. I think C is where that program starts to move away from a phonetic approach and makes the shift to morphographs. As you move through the levels, they are eventually focusing entirely on morphographs. We will finish the last level of Spelling Through Morphographs next year and then I plan to have him continue with Dynamic Literacy (though I need to look into this program a bit more before saying that for sure).

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

My son then moved onto Spelling Through Morphographs by SRA. I didn't use level A of that program with him, but I think we picked up wth C. I think C is where that program starts to move away from a phonetic approach and makes the shift to morphographs. As you move through the levels, they are eventually focusing entirely on morphographs. We will finish the last level of Spelling Through Morphographs next year and then I plan to have him continue with Dynamic Literacy (though I need to look into this program a bit more before saying that for sure).

What did you purchase to implement Spelling through Morphographs?

Thanks-

Mandy