Menu

8 yo dd, WWE3 narration, comments welcome!!

Pata

We did a narration/dictation today from Week 11 in the WWE text. The passage was based on Herodotus' version of the story surrounding Ramses III and his tomb builder.

The builder made the chamber easy to get into. His sons stole the treasure. The king set up a trap which caught one of the sons.

Dd took the first two sentences by dictation and copied the last one. She needed a few words spelled for her, but we are currently working on that using WRTR. I'm think that she still needs to practice her narration skills as her narration seems to lack a bit of detail, what do you all think? I'm currently debating whether to continue on with CW Aesop A or to work through the rest of WWE with her, so any comments would really help me make this decision.

Edited by Pata

Thanks, Laurie! This is what makes me think that we need to work on WWE instead. All her narrations, including history & science are very factual, but lack detail. I'll figure it out one day...

My boys struggle with this too - sometimes they include too many details, and at other times I think their narrations lack sufficient detail. I've found that the comprehension questions and the narration prompts in WWE help them focus on which details to include. Today, ds 11 looked over the passage again as he was writing his narration, and it really helped him in writing a more detailed narration.

I think it's reasonable for you to suggest that she reread the passage, and then phrase the information in her own words if that would hep her while she's learning.

It's tricky, isn't it?

My boys struggle with this too - sometimes they include too many details, and at other times I think their narrations lack sufficient detail. I've found that the comprehension questions and the narration prompts in WWE help them focus on which details to include. Today, ds 11 looked over the passage again as he was writing his narration, and it really helped him in writing a more detailed narration.

I think it's reasonable for you to suggest that she reread the passage, and then phrase the information in her own words if that would hep her while she's learning.

It's tricky, isn't it?

Thanks, rereading the passage is a great suggestion! We'll try it out next week. It is very tricky to figure out, especially because I'm a science/math gal :). Calculus, I'm good, writing a thesis statement, not so much...

We did a narration/dictation today from Week 11 in the WWE text. The passage was based on Herodotus' version of the story surrounding Ramses III and his tomb builder.

The builder made the chamber easy to get into. His sons stole the treasure. The king set up a trap which caught one of the sons.

Dd took the first two sentences by dictation and copied the last one. She needed a few words spelled for her, but we are currently working on that using WRTR. I'm think that she still needs to practice her narration skills as her narration seems to lack a bit of detail, what do you all think? I'm currently debating whether to continue on with CW Aesop A or to work through the rest of WWE with her, so any comments would really help me make this decision.

I think your dd did a great job. 3 complete sentences...WooHoo!! I understand what you mean about detail. When my dc are working out their narrations I'll sometimes ask a question in the middle and then tell them to work that into their sentence. For example for sentence #1 I would ask whose chamber? and why did the builder make it easy to get into? For sentence #2 I would ask why the sons stole it instead of the father. In #3 I might ask why pharaoh set up a trap or I might not. The summary could be just fine without that tidbit.

I try to treat our WWE narrations as a teaching tool instead of a testing tool. So if I think there needs to be more detail I try to guide that in there by asking questions, have my dc phrase it in their own words, and have them write it. I also read all of the samples given in the book out loud after the assignment is done and let my dc see how their summary stacks up. Many times they like theirs the best. But there are times when there was a certain detail mentioned in all 3 that they just didn't catch as being important.

I think your dd did a great job. 3 complete sentences...WooHoo!! I understand what you mean about detail. When my dc are working out their narrations I'll sometimes ask a question in the middle and then tell them to work that into their sentence. For example for sentence #1 I would ask whose chamber? and why did the builder make it easy to get into? For sentence #2 I would ask why the sons stole it instead of the father. In #3 I might ask why pharaoh set up a trap or I might not. The summary could be just fine without that tidbit.

I try to treat our WWE narrations as a teaching tool instead of a testing tool. So if I think there needs to be more detail I try to guide that in there by asking questions, have my dc phrase it in their own words, and have them write it. I also read all of the samples given in the book out loud after the assignment is done and let my dc see how their summary stacks up. Many times they like theirs the best. But there are times when there was a certain detail mentioned in all 3 that they just didn't catch as being important.

Great ideas! I do think that I need to get into the mindset that it's not automatic for my dd and I need to be more intentional about teaching her how to include more detail.