Menu

life of fred

busymama7

I am using the fraction book with my dd who is very bright but struggles with math. It often takes her 3-4 tries to pass a bridge and once it was all 5. Should I be concerned or slow down? she is about 3/4 through the book and I am hoping to have her finish the decimal one this year also to catch her up and have her do preA next year(13,8th grade). It just seems like there is not enough practice to really cement the process in her head

Thanks!

Is it the computation or the way the problems are worded? If it's computation and she can't remember how to add/subtract/multiply/divide, I would have her practice those w/work sheets obtained online or from a workbook.

If it's the way the problem is presented, I would sit and work with her. Ask her how to solve the problem if there were whole numbers. Somtimes the fraction throws them (eg dividing 6 by 5/8 can just look/feel wrong.)

Maybe you need to take her through the chapter twice so whatever doesn't stick the first time, gets through the second time. Maybe she's reading too fast and not thinking about it. How does she do on the Your Turn to Play sections?

I love Life of Fred!

I am using the fraction book with my dd who is very bright but struggles with math. It often takes her 3-4 tries to pass a bridge and once it was all 5. Should I be concerned or slow down? she is about 3/4 through the book and I am hoping to have her finish the decimal one this year also to catch her up and have her do preA next year(13,8th grade). It just seems like there is not enough practice to really cement the process in her head

Thanks!

It usually takes my dd 3 tries. My ds passes the first try, but he is exceptionally bright. Somewhere (maybe the LoF website???) I read that it typically takes 3 tries - so my math average dd is....right on the average!

I would supplement with Key to Decimals.

:iagree:

I think the Key to Decimals books (and Key to Fractions if necessary) or possibly the MM topic books may be a more efficient way to "catch up," particularly if she's having a hard time getting the math from LOF. While one of my kids loves the LOF story (one of them is reading the Fractions book right this minute, for about the twelfth time), none of them has expressed a desire to do the math, which kind of shocked me. But, they're bright, math-y kids with weaknesses on the language side of things. I think they're just not wired for learning math via the story. They prefer their math straight up. (And yes, they need lots of practice with word problems, a separate issue.)

Thanks!

What is your main math program and how does she do with that?

I don't think I'd use this as my one and only program. However, I do think it has definite benefits and I'm looking forward to using it later, with TT or CLE.

We use it as a supplement to Saxon. DS is doing well with it and it makes for a nice Friday change. He does Saxon M-Th then LoF on Fridays, and looks forward to it! I too couldn't see using this as a stand-alone.