Menu

Hawaii

A friend is dreaming about a trip to Hawaii with her dc and is looking for info on which island would be best in the summer (maybe July), with local activities (no Disney like experiences), and on a tight budget.

Any advice? Thanks.

If you want that "Paradise you've always dreamed of" type trip to Hawaii, do NOT go to Oahu, LOL. I lived there for 3.5 years. It's soooooooo different from the Hawaii you see on TV! Poverty. Traffic. Crime. Homeless people. It's all right there with the palm trees.

It's WAY crowded. Like, I HATED getting stuck near Waikiki or the NEX, arond Rush Hour and have to take H-1 home, it was bumper to bumper (3-4 lanes) for HOURS!!!

We went to Kauai and it was EVERYTHING I pictured Hawaii to be! Holy cow, it was sooooo beautiful and peaceful and NATURAL. No traffic. The only "homeless" people we saw were the hippies on some beach, and they chose to be there, LOL.

I have heard the same about Maui and the Big Island. The smaller islands are pretty too (I've heard) but not much to do there. I just looooooooved Kauai :)

Kauai is our favorite as well.

How young/old are the kids?

Perhaps they would like to see Volcanoes National Park... if so, that's on the Big Island.

Kauai is far prettier than the Big Island, though the Big Island is pretty on the eastern side (Hilo side). The better snorkeling and swimming is on the western side though.

Kauai has beaches all around and gorgeous mountains in the north. Waimea Canyon in the southwest is absolutely stunning.

Have her go to the library and look at Wizard Pub's guide books on each island to see which she feels would fit the best. (Big Island Revealed, Kauai Revealed, etc, if I'm remembering the names correctly. They are blue books.)

To keep costs down, they could camp, rent a state-run cabin, or rent a cheaper place from a real estate agency or VRBO.

Check out online car rental places at least several times per day. The prices change throughout the day and week.

We didn't think food prices were out of line compared to Chicago. Bring over small items if you can. Get a Costco membership before you go, and once there, sign up for the grocery store discount cards. They'll give you a temporary card to use immediately. Also, visit the Farmers' Markets (called Sunshine Markets over there). Some of them were real bargains when we went.

I'd recommend Kauai, Maui, Big Island or, if you decide to go to Oahu, Kailua Beach or possibly the North Shore area in summer.

Edited by MBM
not enough coffee

We actually loved Oahu.

Yes - Honolulu is crowded, but we still had a nice time in the city.

We rented a Jeep, a 4wd, and anyone who can't find real Hawaii on Oahu isn't looking hard enough. We spent 6 days, every day, with almost no other people in sight (after we ate breakfast at Eggs N things :) ) Seriously, the only time we were anywhere with people was when we wanted to be :)

I recommend Oahu Revealed by Andrew Doughty.

It is actually a great blend of big city restaurants, all walking distance from the hotel, with great nighttime ambiance (flickering lights and torches, excellent food, music, etc), and rough hikling trails, waterfalls, 4wd roads, and watching a sunset - 10 feet from Monk Seals - with not another soul anywhere for miles.

I love all of them! Really...each has its own special characteristics.

If I had to choose one, though, it would be the Big Island, without a doubt. Volcanoes National Park in Hilo is stunning and like nothing I've ever seen. The Kona coast is my heaven on earth. When I'm having a bad day (or, even when I'm not) I dream of selling all my stuff and opening a fish taco stand on the beach in Kona. I was so moved by the place I actually got a tattoo there because I wanted to bring that feeling of peace and calm and wonder home with me. No joke.

Kauai would be my next choice, for all the reasons everyone else has said. Then Maui, then Oahu. I've seen some of the most beautiful things I've ever seen in Maui while driving the road to Hana, but that's a day and not an entire vacation. I had great adventures in Oahu off the North Shore in a cage with the sharks all around me, and watching the surfers, but still....not what I think the OPs friend is looking for.

Now I really, really want to go back. Sigh.

We actually loved Oahu.

Yes - Honolulu is crowded, but we still had a nice time in the city.

We rented a Jeep, a 4wd, and anyone who can't find real Hawaii on Oahu isn't looking hard enough. We spent 6 days, every day, with almost no other people in sight (after we ate breakfast at Eggs N things :) ) Seriously, the only time we were anywhere with people was when we wanted to be :)

Okay, now you have to share where you stayed!

My favorite places so far in Hawaii:

A townhouse at the Noelani on Maui located right on the ocean (no beach, though) so you can hear the waves crashing at night -- which I love -- then wake up and sneak out to the lanai to watch the turtles, whales (in season) and surfers. They have pretty good deals. Over Christmas, we could have rented a place for $100 per night. Looks like they have a good deal on car rentals, too.

http://www.noelani-condo-resort.com/

A Princeville townhouse near Hanalei -- I love the laid-back, hippy feel of Hanalei! VRBO has quite a few located on the cliffs above the ocean. A place near Tunnels Beach would be great. Tunnels was our favorite snorkeling spot ever.

Hilton Waikoloa near Kona on the Big Island. I don't care for the town of Kona much, but the Waikoloa area is pleasant and interesting. Go a few miles north and you're at beautiful Hapuna Beach and then another 10 or so miles north and east and you'll be in the country-like town of Waimea, which I also like very much.

Hawaii is a gorgeous place with so much to do outdoors. I love it.

DH and I went to the Big Island last year. We started on the Hilo side and found a WONDERFUL secluded B&B that had its own waterfall (beautiful)-- it welcomes families too. We rented a car and drove to Volcano's National Park-- saw the lava flow at night (COOL!). We used "The Big Island Revealed" (blue book) and found excellent dining (places looked like dives but the food was great!). We drove to the Kona side and stayed at a PLUSH resort (Four Seasons)--because DH's work paid for it!!! The drive through the center of the Big Island was a lot like driving through Texas (hill country)... I snorkeled with wild dolphins (awesome) and we saw lots of humpback whales (we were there in December).

We took the family to Kauai and Maui, Kauai was the favorite. We loved hiking (free!!!) the canyon and the NW coast. The condo we rented in Kauai was reasonable and great for families. We splurged on one family 'adventure' package that had kayaking, hiking, swimming (including jumping off of a well-known waterfall!) zip-lining and a tour of the ranch (where Jurassic Park was filmed)--worth the $125 per person!

DH and I went to Kauai by ourselves once-- stayed at the Marriott-- it was wonderful and we walked or had their van service take us everywhere we wanted to go... awesome trip!

http://www.kealiaresort.com/index.html

This is where we stayed on Maui when we took our teenage sons. Some of the units are FRBO and some are rented thru the office on the website I included. It is right on the beach and we absolutely loved the place. We have sent several families there since we got home. Not all the rooms were as nice, so be sure to check out the photos online when choosing your unit. (they all do look like they have been updated since we were there 5 years ago.)

We got so many ammenities you wont' get with a hotel room, even those that have small kitchens in them.

THe beach was private and it included lounging chairs, swimming pool, BBQ grill. Washers and dryers in the room. ( You will have to do laundry and wash the sheets and towels before you leave.)

There is a kind of a language you need to understand when you check on rentals.

cool island breezes cool the unit at night - might actually mean there is no A/C..and despite what the locals say, A/C is important!

short walk to the beach - might mean across a very busy highway. There is only one main road thru Maui and if you are on the other side of it trying to carry towels and chair and ..well, you get the idea.

There are sales brochures everywhere and many of them have coupons inside.

we also shopped at a grocery store chain whose only sales were offered if you were a member. It's free and we signed up and shopped the sales.

When Hubby and I went alone, we stayed on the big Island at a luxury resort we may never be able to afford again, so I don't have any advice about staying there. But it is beautiful and lots of places to drive to. Traffic wasn't as bad as on Maui or Oahu.

Okay, now you have to share where you stayed!

My favorite places so far in Hawaii:

A townhouse at the Noelani on Maui located right on the ocean (no beach, though) so you can hear the waves crashing at night -- which I love -- then wake up and sneak out to the lanai to watch the turtles, whales (in season) and surfers. They have pretty good deals. Over Christmas, we could have rented a place for $100 per night. Looks like they have a good deal on car rentals, too.

http://www.noelani-condo-resort.com/

A Princeville townhouse near Hanalei -- I love the laid-back, hippy feel of Hanalei! VRBO has quite a few located on the cliffs above the ocean. A place near Tunnels Beach would be great. Tunnels was our favorite snorkeling spot ever.

Hilton Waikoloa near Kona on the Big Island. I don't care for the town of Kona much, but the Waikoloa area is pleasant and interesting. Go a few miles north and you're at beautiful Hapuna Beach and then another 10 or so miles north and east and you'll be in the country-like town of Waimea, which I also like very much.

Hawaii is a gorgeous place with so much to do outdoors. I love it.

On our 1 year Anniversary we ate the Princeville Resort, at La Cascada Restaurant. It was soooooo romantic. We sat right next to a window that looked out over the ocean, and it was open, and we could hear the waves and smell the air and feel the breeze and ahhhhhhhhhhhhh...............

Today is my 9 year anniversary :)

The nice thing about Kauai is that there is so much more to do than go to the beach. It does have great, classic beaches (including the one in "South Pacific" where she 'washed that man right out of her hair') but it also has hiking and natural sightseeing beyond the beach experiences. No active volcanoes, which is good if you're prone to asthma as our family is.

The nice thing about Kauai is that there is so much more to do than go to the beach. It does have great, classic beaches (including the one in "South Pacific" where she 'washed that man right out of her hair') but it also has hiking and natural sightseeing beyond the beach experiences. No active volcanoes, which is good if you're prone to asthma as our family is.

The bad thing about Kauai is that you will never want to leave, LOL!

I dream about living there.... it was sooooooo laid back and relaxing. One of those places where you could totally forget about the rest of the world.

*sigh*

I lived in Kona as a child. So my vote is Big Island, but I 2nd Kauai. I wouldn't do the big Island without a rental car! There are horse ranches, great snorkeling, golf, and a great outdoor type museum on the Kona side. On the Hilo side there are waterfall hikes, Volcano's, Orchid nurseries. When we would go back to visit we would spend the majority of our time on the Kona side (better beaches) and 1 night on the Hilo side.