Menu

Ditching HOP 2nd; Switch To OPGTR Or Move On To AAS?

I am pretty disappointed in HOP 2nd grade. Pre-K was fun...and K and 1st were "good enough". But 2nd is just not cutting it for me. There is zero...zilch...nada explanation...just a bunch of sight reading. I didn't mind that so much until this level. But now I think there should be a bit more meat. Our lesson today covered the ai and ay sounds. Basically it was one list of ai words and one list of ay words, and then a story. Not going to work*...

(*I should clarify...not going to work for ME. My son doesn't seem to mind the lack of rules and is reading and retaining just fine. I do my best to explain the new sounds and he reads the word lists...and isn't really having any problems when he encounters those words later. I just worry that he's basically memorizing, which could backfire later.)

I'm thinking of getting OPGTR. I've looked at the lessons and it seems there's still quite a bit that we haven't covered. But it's hard to tell without the book in front of me.

I also planned to use AAS when we finished HOP, so we would pick up some of the phonics rules that way too.

Advice? Should I just go ahead and move into AAS or would it be worthwhile to cover OPGTR first?

I'm not an expert -- I'll just tell you what we're doing. My dd4 was doing HOP but I ditched it pretty fast. I had a Phonics Pathways book that I started with her (I suppose that's similar to OPG...) and she does the AAS 1 phonogram cards to learn the sounds. If your son is already reading the HOP 2G books, I'd say go straight into AAS1. I started my older dd in AAS at 5 - she was reading really well at that point but we'd done virtually no phonics. She's learned all her phonics through AAS. I seem to be headed in the same direction with dd #2. I thought I'd wait to see what they're new reading program looks like the spring and then decide between that and the regular AAS1.

In other words, you may not need OPG if your son is already reading that well. See what others have to say. :-)

I would recommend going straight to AAS if you were planning to use it anyway. It will teach all the phonics that OPGTR was going to. I started AAS1 last month with my first grader. We'd done a little bit of OPGTR, but we dropped it as soon as we started AAS. His reading has improved (he's an advanced reader anyway, but he was starting to hit words you *have* to sound out), and his confidence in spelling has greatly increased. Totally love it! We did level 1 in 3 weeks and are working on level 2 now. So make sure you're prepared to get 2 levels.

I'm thinking of getting OPGTR. I've looked at the lessons and it seems there's still quite a bit that we haven't covered. But it's hard to tell without the book in front of me.

Advice? Should I just go ahead and move into AAS or would it be worthwhile to cover OPGTR first?

I wanted to mention that before I jumped into OPGTR I checked it out at my library. It proved to be a great way to get my hands on it before buying it to see if it would actually be something I wanted to use. I offer that as a suggestion before you buy.

Personally, I don't like these "New HOP" versions either, which is why I went online and purchased an older edition last summer. Old HOP doesn't have stories, comics or whatever, and it doesn't have 'pizazz' but doggone it if it doesn't teach you how to read and read well.

I have an old version of level one, and you're so right...they're completely different! I've heard other people say the older version was better too....

I dont have an exact answer...If your son is doing just fine with HOP, I think I'd stick with it. Have him read for 30 minutes a day from various 'readers' borrowed from the library and keep plugging away at it. I don't know that I'd switch him...If you have the book OPG, try and work a few lessons from it with him and then ask him what he thinks of that program.

I was kind of thinking this too. We're almost half way in level 2, and we're moving fast. So it really won't take much time at all to just plug away and get it over with. I also have an old SSRW set I can use to supplement a few of the lessons. My concern with OPG is that it looks "boring". I have a hard enough time getting him into HOP, since it's so monotonous. I'm not so sure he'd be eager to do OPG. On the other hand, I think AAS will engage him more. So maybe plugging away at HOP (with some supplements) and then moving on will be the right fit.

Thanks everyone, for the replies!

Just wanted to give you my experience with HOP. I started it with boy my boys when they were in K. Loved the K program, first grade was ok but when I got to the 2nd grade program it just dawned on me that the program does not really explain phonics but just give you the sounds and words. My 6.5 yr old finished Hop levels k-2 and is now doing Master Reader but he also does the ETC workbooks and he reads very well. I just started AAS 1 with him this week and so far so good. It's going to really cement things for him and also cover some sounds that HOP didn't cover.

My oldest son who just turned 8 did HOP k-1 and we stopped grade 2 after the green workbook because I felt like he started guessing to much and it seemed like we were hitting a wall. I purchased the OPG used and I started that with him last week from lesson 1 just to make sure he is solid with his reading and phonics and to also build his confidence! So far it's going well for him. He likes the extra activities and the end of the lessons. Once he is done with OPG than I'll start him in AAS.

All that to say if your son is reading well already like my youngest son I'll go

ahead with AAS1 and if he likes workbooks maybe even add ETC.