Menu

OK how bad is this? DD3 loves my coffee.

I promise it happened by accident. When she was about a year old she sipped out of mil's cup. Ever since she has "stolen" sips from my morning coffee. This morning I had about an inch or so left in a cup and she "sneaked" away with the whole thing only to come back and say to me with true passion and sincerity, "Coffee is yummy." Of course, I don't plan to make this a staple in her diet and I generally only drink it in the mornings so she doesn't have a lot of access to it anyway. But since my others detest the thought, it amazes me how much she likes it. Can you think of any possible harm by consuming her sips at this young age? (And secretly, since she was a late surprise, I must admit that I look forward to her being older and sitting with me to have a cup of coffee!)

My 5 yo loves coffee. I think whether you give it to your children is entirely your discretion. We've had sample people in stores refuse our son a dixie cup of coffee with creamer, just because. Some kids just like bitter tastes like coffee and dark chocolate.

We decided to wait on letting him have a full sized cup until he is much older, but DH brews him decaf for a treat sometimes. But we do let him have a smaller amount of regular coffee from time to time, on special occaisions.

I'm guilty! I'm a heavy coffee drinker. When dd was a baby she would want to drink my coffee but I put my foot down and was very strict. When ds1 was born my parents were living with us and they are real softee's. My mom drinks coffee like I do and she couldn't resist ds1's cute little face when he would beg her for a sip. He was 2 years old when he got his first sip. Ds2 ... he has been drinking coffee since about 1 I guess. He sees my cup and says nothing but when he sees DH or my mom with coffee, he'll run up to them and say "Ahwa! Ahwa!" (We're middle eastern and the word for coffee is qahwa.) He doesn't come to me and say that cause he knows I wqon't give him any but if I put my cup down and turn my back they both go for it.

I don't think that small amounts here and there are problem causing. Too much regularly, not so great. I used to do the same as a kid. I loved a little sip here and there. My ds does the same here too. He takes a sip.

I think the idea of doing a small decaf (very small!) cup for her as a treat is cute. You can have a special "coffee" party with her -- her doing some decaf with some nice little cookies-- for special treats once in a while.

We're coffee addicts here too. I really can't imagine that it's at all good for them, but my middle two- 3yo and 2yo LOVE coffee. They love to help me grind the beans, they love the smell when I brew it and then will sit and fight over who gets to smell my cup. In short, they are coffee crazy! I only let them have sips from time to time, they would drink my whole cup if I let them.

My little brother used to drink coffee out of a bottle. My grandma would give it to him just to p!$$ off my mom.

He turned into a smart kid who never had to study to make good grades and is now a sucessful doctor.

Don't sweat the coffee.

I used to make kid coffee for my stepdaughters (previous marriage) -- 1/2 decaffeinated coffee, 1/2 warm milk, lots of sugar. They loved it and no one got hurt. My own kids liked the idea, but not the taste.

The main thing I'd be concerned with is the caffeine. I don't let my kids drink caffeinated beverages except for sweet tea, which most of them don't like anyway. The reason isn't that caffeine will hurt them; it is that I don't want them to stay awake 24/7.

Dh and I brew each cup we drink in a Melita cone. Dds know this as a way of life and now I keep instant decaf around for them. They'll "brew" their own cup each morning and even add flavored creamer. They have it at their desk while we do school.

I do decaf because I don't want them having the buzz that caffeine give yet. Dd who has been diagnosed with adhd flies high for hours on caffeine. It seems like past research used to show that caffeine depletes calcium in the body, which kids really need. I don't know what the current status on that is, but I don't let my kids have anything that has caffeine in it for that reason.

We have two out of four that like their coffee. Our two year old gets up and let's us know if the coffee pot isn't going, lol. We give them a small amount of coffee in a child size cup then fill the remainder of the cup up with milk and a bit of cocoa. They think it is the coffee and although it isn't the healthiest, they enjoy sitting and enjoying their drink in the morning with us. So your child isn't alone in liking it and you aren't alone in compromising to give it to them, lol.

:iagree:

I have 2 sons: one doesn't even like the smell of coffee (he's now 12), the other one drinks (weak) espressos with me (he's 9). My defence, to all those horrified people around me who assure me I'm doing permanent damage, is that he probably consumes less caffeine than most kids because we never have soft drinks. Even apart from Coke, plenty of soft drinks have a substantial amount of caffeine.

And for what it's worth, the morning coffee does actually seem to help his mind stay focused on his school work, his growth has not been stunted and he is not addicted :D

I blame church! LOL There's always coffee after the service, but just that and water, and if everyone else is drinking coffee....

Given that we live in the South and everyone here drinks sweet tea (iced tea), caffeinated, year-round and in great quantities, I don't think coffee is any worse than that. I wouldn't give it to him after about 4pm because I think it does affect his sleep after that, but in the morning when I drink coffee he's fine with a cup himself.

So having said all that, he decided after about a year that he didn't really like coffee that much after all. He'll sometimes try a sip of mine, but he's thoroughly unimpressed for now. I almost wish he would go back to it now that he's older, because he gets up before me in the morning and he could make it himself... ;)

My defence, to all those horrified people around me who assure me I'm doing permanent damage, is that he probably consumes less caffeine than most kids because we never have soft drinks.

Good point. Between chocolate and cola, many kids get far more caffeine than a few sips of coffee will give them.

In response to the OP: My only concern, beyond the obvious need for moderation in all things, would be the possible effect on the child's digestion. You coffee drinkers know what I mean! But if you're not seeing a problem there, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

All my dc love coffee. Once in a while we go to a local grocery store and we all get free samples. I make them get the decaffeinated. I drink hot black tea a few times a week in the morning. I like to sip on it throughout the morning but my 4 yo dd will sneak sips until it is gone. So will 2 yo dd. I've learned to keep it high out of reach until it's gone. I suppose they wouldn't like it if I didn't use cream and sugar. :)

My defence, to all those horrified people around me who assure me I'm doing permanent damage, is that he probably consumes less caffeine than most kids because we never have soft drinks. Even apart from Coke, plenty of soft drinks have a substantial amount of caffeine.
My middle child, who's now 14, has always liked coffee. He loves the smell, and always wanted to try it. I'd give him tiny sips once in awhile. When he got older I'd let him have decaf.

But, I quoted Lucy's post because I got shocked looks, even with the decaf, from people. But, they let their kids drink Mountain Dew, and other soda that had so much caffeine in it, yet didn't see how I could give my ds a small cup with decaf in it? :tongue_smilie: (We don't drink soda either)

Someone once told me that coffee had the opposite affect on children with ADHD. My son has ADHD and I was at my wits end. My dh and I had decided that we would never medicate him. One day I just tried it.

Well.....it didn't do anything but addict him to coffee. I figure it can't be that bad, as our family tries not to drink any sodas. He just sips at my coffee in the morning. I tend to over creamer it anyways.

I figure that I am just getting him ready for the college all nighters early!!! :)

:blushing:

Both my kids drink coffee- oldest with cream and sugar, youngest BLACK, of all things. I don't see it as harmful- nothing artificial, just beans and water. We eat uber healthy, no pop, etc, so...I don't see the harm.

I do get some strange looks at Starbucks when my oldest (who looks about 4) orders her short, kids temperature, extra caramel, caramel macchiato.

I am ashamed to say that my dd3 drinks coffee from a sippy cup in the mornings. I never let the older two drink coffee. I was never allowed coffee until I went to college. It started out innocently, a little sip here and there, then she was emptying my coffee cup if I sat it down. Now she wakes up her dad and asks him to make her some coffee. It is bad.

I think that mostly she likes the vanilla creamer. I try to justify that I am giving her less than an ounce of coffee, but still there is something that seems wrong to me about a sippy cup full of coffee. My mom gives me those looks about it.

I am glad I threw out all my parenting books because I am certain that there is a special section reserved for those of us who let our oldest teethe on Oreo cookies and let the youngest drink coffee.

:D

I know that my brother, my cousins, and I were often given coffee-milk in childhood. That's what everyone called it: coffeemilk. :D I didn't begin drinking real coffee until I was married.

Dd 10 enjoys a cup in the morning, but so far she's the only one. They'd all choose hot cocoa over joe. Still, a sip of java here and there has to be better than baby bottles filled with Pepsi or Coke, right? :001_huh: :shudder:

LOLOL - my youngest ds LOVES coffee. Has since he stole is first stirrer when he was about 10 months. Not too long ago dh started drinking coffee at home. He always drank it at work, but never wanted it at home. I LOVE the smell of coffee, but never acquired the taste for it. Young DS picked out the coffee maker and brand of coffee for dh's birthday present. Now, it's not uncommon to find dh gone to work and in the hour or so that I doze off I wake to find my 8 yr old with a cup-a-joe sitting in dh's spot in the bed reading and drinking his coffee. He's such an oddball. While I wake up, he catches me up on anything I've missed news-wise.

Hey - what are you saying about baby bottles with pepsi and coke?! :001_huh: I already admitted to coffee and oreo's. we are not going to talk about baby bottles.

:lol: sorry. I am feeling feisty tonight. I have been eating wheat-free, sugar-free, salt-free vegan all week, and I really want something yummy. I better shutdown and go to bed before I order a pepperoni pizza.

Hey - what are you saying about baby bottles with pepsi and coke?! :001_huh: I already admitted to coffee and oreo's. we are not going to talk about baby bottles.

:lol: sorry. I am feeling feisty tonight. I have been eating wheat-free, sugar-free, salt-free vegan all week, and I really want something yummy. I better shutdown and go to bed before I order a pepperoni pizza.

:lol: I think we're going to have to do a home inspection. *snort*

My little brother used to drink coffee out of a bottle. My grandma would give it to him just to p!$$ off my mom.

He turned into a smart kid who never had to study to make good grades and is now a sucessful doctor.

Don't sweat the coffee.

My nana was from Puerto Rico and I was given cafe con leche in my bottle.

I never had to study to make good grades and I wish I had became a successful doctor. I don't think the coffee contributed, but I guess it didn't hurt. I don't drink much coffee now.

I don't give it to my 11 month old, but I know that others have let him sip.

when my dd who's diagnosed with ADHD is crazy off the wall behaviour I find that sitting down with a strong cupa coffee is the best thing. She's much calmer after all that caffeine and more focused too.

Coffee is a good thing here. All my kids love it.

My older two, when they were younger (less than 5) used to get an expresso size cup of coffee when they asked for it and just loved it.

Neither of them drink coffee now.

My younger two now beg for the mini-cups of coffee, and get them. But it doesn't occur to them to ask unless Dad is home (that was probably true for the older two as well).

Guest Shanna

Someone may have already said this but....

why is it that people dont even think twice about giving their child a soda but the thought of coffee makes them freak.

My 2 yr old LOVES coffee. You say the words "ice coffee" and she gets VERY happy!!!!! She will even drink coffee hot and black. All of my children like ice coffee but only a few of them like regular coffee.

when my dd who's diagnosed with ADHD is crazy off the wall behaviour I find that sitting down with a strong cupa coffee is the best thing. She's much calmer after all that caffeine and more focused too.

Coffee is a good thing here. All my kids love it.

Caffeine does work wonders for ADD. The medication is a stimulant also, so why not use the natural stimulant, if it works! (It's also a TON cheaper!)

I hate coffee - I hate coffee candy, ice cream, mocha, and of course the hot stuff you drink! And yet, I just found out that my ds10 has been mixing half coffee/half cream at church potlucks. Where did I go wrong!?:D

And you call yourself a classical educator?:lol:

It's OK, Jean, we still love you.:D

I think withholding or allowing coffee is a cultural thing. Since it's full of antioxidants, it certainly isn't harmful on its own. My kids all drink half/caf at least on occasion--a few every day--but we don't do sodas at all. I figure coffee is better for them than all the HFCS or artificial sweeteners on top of the caffeine in Coke.

Barb

My DS 2 loves coffee. I have never served him a cup.. but I will let him have a sip, or finish off the last of my cup. I grew up drinking coffee and do not think it is a problem. My mom would serve us "pan dulce" and coffee every morning.

Then again coffee is the least of my problems with this DS. Although I don't have a problem with coffee, I do have a problems with the rest of his beverage choices. Beer is a favorite, liquor, nyquil. I have never let him have even one sip..but dad is careless.. and he will run off with the bottle, glass, container.. He actually likes the taste..::Shudder::

Lee

Maybe not, but how much taller would you have been if you hadn't drunk it? lol

Same argument goes for any time someone says "I did it, and I'm smart," or "He did it, and lived to be 100!"

How much smarter would you have been if you hadn't done it? How much longer would the person have lived if they hadn't done it? We'll never know.

I think some things should be reserved for adults. Coffee seems like an adult priviledge to me--I like to save some things, like getting ears pierced, really big birthday parties, etc--special things to act as rites of passage.

That said, I really don't think drinking coffee is going to harm anyone--unless it's replacing something healthy, or the caffeine becomes an addiction.

I put it in the catagory of Cause no harm, do as thou wilt. (Or whatever that saying is!)

• 3 weeks later...

My dad started me out with a cup of milk with a little coffee or tea when I was 4 or 5. I still have fond memories when I'm drinking creamed coffee.