Menu

K12/LVS Assessment Mania?

RanchMom

Anyone (else) out there sick of hearing about Kansas State Assessments? I was doing fine homeschooling without K12 before and if LVS loses accreditation, I'll be better for having known them but I won't shrivel up and die. In fact, I'm considering ditching K12/LVS for next year partly because of the assessment infatuation. Are the PS's like this, too, and I just don't hear about it?

Thanks for letting me vent!

Anyone (else) out there sick of hearing about Kansas State Assessments? I was doing fine homeschooling without K12 before and if LVS loses accreditation, I'll be better for having known them but I won't shrivel up and die. In fact, I'm considering ditching K12/LVS for next year partly because of the assessment infatuation. Are the PS's like this, too, and I just don't hear about it?

Thanks for letting me vent!

This was a huge part of why we left MNVA last year. I got so tired of the forced test prep weekly and the state of panic by the teacher. I just started marking the daily practice tests done and had DD just concentrate on the writing prompts, as this was her weak area. The teacher did not bother to let the parents know that MN elimated the writing prompt last year.:glare: She tested exceeded expectations in both LA and Math.

Vent away!:001_smile:

Yes, all cyberschools and ps's are like this. So much so that its unreal. I know I asked my oldest if she wanted to go back to cyberschooling this fall and she told me " No way, mom. I hated studying for tests all of the time."

My girls were just about tested to death and honestly they didn't test any better than they do. They aren't good testers ( not sure why) but no matter what they did. Tutoring, workbooks , classes, etc. Nothing worked or helped. It literally burned them out.

They do this because if the students don't test well the school loses money and then they are put on the radar for not meeting AYP ( adequate yearly progress). Cybers are more in danger of closing by not meeting AYP then a brick and mortar school is. So they panic.

Honestly if they closed it wouldn't be any skin off my back either.