Menu

Can you help me with another book: Napoleon

Ny 14yo son read Albert Marrin's biography of Napoleon (Napoleon and the Napoleonic Wars). He recently asked me to check it out of the library again so he could reread it. I read most of it and it is a bit challenging for an 11yo, but if interest is high, she could get through it.

I never learned that chapter of history when I was in school so Napoleon was always a mystery to me. One thing that Marrin emphasized (and I suppose other biographers would as well) was the vital impact the French Revolution had on Napoleon's thinking and worldview. Just wanted to say that so you'd know that a thorough understanding of the FR would be very helpful as well. Marrin does a good job of bringing the man to life and his book is not at all boring - just moves fast and the vocabulary is probably higher than a 5th/6th grade level. If she kept a dictionary nearby, it might be a good choice.

When I'm looking for a book on a particular topic I usually do an advanced search at amazon.com where you can put in an age range. Then I read through the reviews. When I find a book I want, I can use the ISBN or title/author info to look it up in my state's interlibrary loan system.

Hey, like some of you I didn't cover this in history and, indeed, my daughter's history only gives him the barest mention. I want to go a bit more in-depth because well, besides just being an important part of history, it's a really important part of western civilization and cultural knowledge.

So, thank you so much for the recommendations! I'm looking them up now!

When I'm looking for a book on a particular topic I usually do an advanced search at amazon.com where you can put in an age range. Then I read through the reviews. When I find a book I want, I can use the ISBN or title/author info to look it up in my state's interlibrary loan system.

Whoa! I did not know that. THANKS!