Menu

All About Reading Prelevel-- very exciting!

Lovedtodeath

I got this in an email:

We're going to be releasing the first level in our new All About Reading program tomorrow, Wednesday, March 2! Level Pre-1 teaches preschoolers and kindergarteners a very specific set of skills that we call the Big Five Skills. These five skills help young children understand the basics of language and how it works, preparing them to learn to read.

With All About Reading Level Pre-1, your child will play special games, enjoy little crafts, and engage in charming storytime activities--all the while absorbing these all-important Big Five Skills.

Guest aquiverfull

Carmen, did you see this thread? I know you've been waiting for it a while like me. Will you use it with your son? What do you think about the price? I'm not sure I can justify it since I already have PR here. I was hoping to use it kinda pre-PR but I don't know.

I was very excited to see this and actually called this morning and ordered it. They are launching it on the site tomorrow, but will let you pre-order it today if you call. They said mine should go out either today or tomorrow. I can't wait to get it. My son knows a lot of his letter sounds but not all the different sounds of the vowels and although we've been working on blending sounds together to make simple CVC words, he's really struggling with it. I hope AAR is just what we need.

We just this minute finished playing "What's on Ziggy's Pancakes?" and "Ziggy and I Play 'I Spy'". It was very helpful. Ds 3 went from not being able to hear the word blend (s..alt - salt!) to identifying the word I was saying in one 5-7 minute sitting. I think it will be a very effective program.

We are reviewing it for the TOS Crew. It came yesterday and looks pretty great. I'll keep updating my blog as we work through it! The materials and matching bag are beautiful! Marie sure knows what this homeschooling mama likes to look at, at least!! :lol:

I was very excited to see this and actually called this morning and ordered it. They are launching it on the site tomorrow, but will let you pre-order it today if you call. They said mine should go out either today or tomorrow. I can't wait to get it. My son knows a lot of his letter sounds but not all the different sounds of the vowels and although we've been working on blending sounds together to make simple CVC words, he's really struggling with it. I hope AAR is just what we need.

I might be looking for an update from you in a few weeks.;) My DS is 5 and I've been trying to figure out what to use with him too. We've been working on a few pages of HOP (at and an words) and the blending is hard. We have AAS and I've been using the segmenting chips, he can segment the words and maybe even spell them with letter tiles, but not blend them together.

I certainly think I should be able to make something work with what I have (HOP, Phonics Pathways, OPG, AAS) but if I start hearing great things about AAR :blink: I won't be able to resist.

I'm going to download the books from the email and look at those.

Carmen, did you see this thread? I know you've been waiting for it a while like me. Will you use it with your son? What do you think about the price? I'm not sure I can justify it since I already have PR here. I was hoping to use it kinda pre-PR but I don't know.

No... I tried looking to see if I missed a thread about it already. :tongue_smilie:

I will try the freebies. I already have WP phonics and Phonics Road 1 so it is doubtful that I will get the whole program... But I don't know if it is all "readiness" type things... I think that is what we need. I wonder if it will resale well...

Guest aquiverfull
LOL! Well, when you are done with it... ;)

my son is not even 4 yet, so I have time.

Haha!! Well I justified it by saying it would go through 3 kids. My 6 year old is really past it, but she loved the free samples. It will just be a fun review for her. I'm sure my 4 year old will get a lot out of it and then I have the 2 year old as well. :) It does look like a lot of readiness activities so I feel like it will be a great precursor to PR.

Haha!! Well I justified it by saying it would go through 3 kids. My 6 year old is really past it, but she loved the free samples. It will just be a fun review for her. I'm sure my 4 year old will get a lot out of it and then I have the 2 year old as well. :) It does look like a lot of readiness activities so I feel like it will be a great precursor to PR.

My son is 5.5 and knows a lot of the letter sounds (only the basic sounds taught in leap frog videos) and the letter names, but could definitely use some cementing of them. I ordered Pre-1 anyway, and figure the review will do him some good to make sure there are no gaps. I've tried starting to blend CVC words with him and he's just not getting it/ready for it so we've kind of stalled out. I'm hoping the fun of AAR will help him with his readiness. I love the samples and the games about rhyming, missing sounds etc. I only have 1 child to use this with and I still splurged. I'm guessing the resale value will be similar to AAS, or maybe I'll keep it to dig out for my grandchildren when I'm old and ancient. I'm not sure I could part with Ziggy :lol:

Guest aquiverfull
My son is 5.5 and knows a lot of the letter sounds (only the basic sounds taught in leap frog videos) and the letter names, but could definitely use some cementing of them. I ordered Pre-1 anyway, and figure the review will do him some good to make sure there are no gaps. I've tried starting to blend CVC words with him and he's just not getting it/ready for it so we've kind of stalled out. I'm hoping the fun of AAR will help him with his readiness. I love the samples and the games about rhyming, missing sounds etc. I only have 1 child to use this with and I still splurged. I'm guessing the resale value will be similar to AAS, or maybe I'll keep it to dig out for my grandchildren when I'm old and ancient. I'm not sure I could part with Ziggy :lol:

Yes, the samples and free-ebooks is really what sold me on it as well. I LOVE the games. I know much of this could be done on our own. I don't think I'm creative enough to come up with all those fun games, so the fact that it's already done made it worth it to me. I bought the basic package and an extra student pack, then of course I had to buy Ziggy as well. ;)

I can't wait and the kids are just super excited!

Yes, the samples and free-ebooks is really what sold me on it as well. I LOVE the games. I know much of this could be done on our own. I don't think I'm creative enough to come up with all those fun games, so the fact that it's already done made it worth it to me. I bought the basic package and an extra student pack, then of course I had to buy Ziggy as well. ;)

I can't wait and the kids are just super excited!

I'm not creative enough to come up with this stuff on my own either, I'm sure part of that is because I want to make sure the olders aren't neglected either. They all need their mom time, so I need someone to lay it all out there for me.

• 4 months later...

I'm been debating about purchasing AAR prelevel since the review for AAS are mostly great. My DS is nearly 2 but already know his letters and a good portion of sounds. Since he loves the alphabet I figured I should just go with it and start slowly work towards reading (it can't hurt to try IMO and stop if he wants). But as it is new, it is hard to find reviews. So now that you've been using it for a while, I'd like an update to see if you'd still recommend it.

I'm been debating about purchasing AAR prelevel since the review for AAS are mostly great. My DS is nearly 2 but already know his letters and a good portion of sounds. Since he loves the alphabet I figured I should just go with it and start slowly work towards reading (it can't hurt to try IMO and stop if he wants). But as it is new, it is hard to find reviews. So now that you've been using it for a while, I'd like an update to see if you'd still recommend it.

There are a few other more recent threads started in the past month or two about this. I would do a search on this forum for AAR or All About Reading and see if you can find them because I've read through them all trying to decide myself!

Thanks!

Nikki