Menu

Grading Jacob's Geometry Test

How much do yall count the proofs on the geometry tests. For example on my daughter's last test there were 2 proofs and I counted them 5 points apeice. Well, she usually does well but this time she blacked out and missed both of them so I had counted all other questions one point which made total of 30 points on the test. So, you can do the math she made 77. Do you think this is reasonable. Just like yall's opinion.

I give partial credit for proofs.

Also note that there are MANY different and 'equally correct' ways to work proofs and the answer key will list only one of them!

Did she set up the proof correctly? Did she include the given information in her first statement? Could you tell if her reasoning was leading her in the right direction-- or did she make an improper assumption? These details are taken into consideration.

If a proof was worth 5 points and the student at least set it up correctly and attempted to work it I would award at least 2 points.

This is why Geometry is often outsourced-- the tests are a PAIN to grade!

Thanks, Jann! You are always so helpful. I actually tutor geometry and so yes, as long as it's a good proof she gets credit whether it is the way Jacob's did it or not. I can determine if its a valid proof. This is just the first time she got completely stumped and only could write the "givens" down. There were about 17 other problems on the test and then these 2 proofs....so when I counted them as 5 points apeice it blew her "A" average!!!!big time!! I did give her 1 point for knowing to put the givens. I just wasn't sure I was grading it fairly. I do love math and am a liscenced engineer so I'm good at math but I'm just not always sure how many points each problem should be worth which of course I guess you could get 100 different answers. Thank you for your help!

I would have her work a few extra proofs-- Jacobs (like most texts) does not do a good job at teaching HOW to do proofs-- most programs just show them completed.... she probably needs some strategies (like marking the congruent marks on the figure to go with the given information--this helps to see what the next step might be...).

I suggest giving her similar proofs to practice and then after she works a few by herself then allowing her to retake the missed problems from the test for half credit. I did this when I taught Geometry in a private school-- and I do it somewhat with my online students. One of the benefits of homeschooling is that we do not have to be so RIGID-- If one of my current students bombs a test-- or does not pass it within their capabilities I give them grace-- and a private lesson or two then let them re-test. My goal is to make sure they KNOW the concepts. I don't allow this to happen on every test-- but many students can use this type of 'wake up' call to model how they can help themselves in the future (as in college) if they do poorly on a test-- they need to take responsibility and LEARN the old material before the next test!

I gave about 4-5 points on the proofs, too. I wanted ds to decide on a basic, do-able strategy (such as ASA), and to have steps that show each of those -- the 2 angles and the one side, etc. -- and their respective reasons. So usually there were about 4-5 steps to be expected, with half a point for just the step or just the reason being correct.

I followed Mr. Callahan's advice and allowed a re-do of problems marked wrong for half-credit.