Menu

On average, how long does a lesson of Saxon 6/5 take your child?

plain jane

Sorry about this vent, I'm really on the verge today. :o

I switched my dd over to Saxon for a while to see if her struggles are with math or with SM. She says she really enjoys Saxon compared to SM :blink: and does math without a battle (she did SM without a battle too) but each lesson is taking forever :glare:. By the time she watches the sample lesson on the Saxon Teacher disc and does all the work, math takes 1-1/2 hours. :glare: She doesn't have time for 1-1/2 hours of math every day and still get everything done. We have LA to do, instrument practice, Latin, Bible, and then history and/or science.

Is this really how much time a lesson takes?

So, I'm thinking I'll see what an average amount of time is for a Saxon lesson and set the timer. Whatever doesn't get done will be homework that must be done after her regular school work and before her evening outside activities. I'm thinking it's going to be a few weeks of missed activities :001_huh: but I'm really on my last nerve with how long math is taking.

It's either this or PS at the moment. :toetap05: Would PS motivate her to work any faster? :tongue_smilie:

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but from my experience, I would say that 1-1/2 hours isn't out of line for Saxon 6/5, especially if that includes time to watch a DVD lesson. My ds is doing Saxon 5/4 and we are doing well if it takes him 1-1/2 hours to get done and he doesn't watch the DVD. He does the warm-ups, the speed drill, reads the lesson, does the practice set, and then does the mixed practice set.

Another of my dc did Saxon 8/7 last year and we averaged 1-1/2 hours for those lessons also. He's doing Algebra 1/2 now and it's going a bit quicker but not much.

Yes that is our experience too. Even considering PS ;). It was ruled out by my husband... anyhow lessons here take a very long time, even though she says she enjoys Saxon. I have considered CLE, from what I have read here on the boards it spirals but does not take as long because the lessons are not long. So that might be a consideration finding something similar but with out so much of the review. I could be wrong with CLE. I just become desperate at times and I want to shorten the lessons :tongue_smilie:

It takes my dd about 30-45 minutes with no dvd.

*Wanted to add that my dd is on the older side for this grade level and we recently switched in January, so right now it's easy for her but I can see in the future it taking her longer once it becomes more challenging.

Edited by Homeschooling6
added *

Guest Momlovesbooks

My son is doing 6/5 without the dvd and it takes him about 1 hour. We do the drill sheet, mental math, I teach the lesson, do all the practice problems, and then he does all the regular problems.

My bonus student is using Saxon 65. We don't use a DVD and we don't use the Saxon drill sheets.

Even just using the text, the lesson time varies greatly depending on the material and whether I sit arm-to-arm beside her after I explain the lesson or whether I leave the room. If the material is simple or not really new and I sit beside her, then a Saxon problem set may be finished in 20min. If the topic is new and difficult, then Saxon may well take 45min-1hr+.

FWIW, I would expect a 5th grader to spend between 45min and 1.5hrs on math. If a you spend 10min on drill work, 5 minutes doing the mental math, 15 min explaining the lesson and doing the practice problems, and the child spends a mere 1 minute copying and completing each of the 25 problems in the problem set, then you have spent 55 minutes doing math. This is not unreasonable.

If she were in school, wouldn't she spend 45-50 minutes in class and then have homework?

Mandy

My DD is in 5/4 and I think it takes about 45min-1 hour. We don't do the drill sheets and warm-up because that would throw her over the edge. That said, I plan to go back and do the warm-ups this summer as well as finishing Horizons 5(yes we do 2 maths:tongue_smilie:). She likes pretty and I like Saxon:D

We don't have the DVD, but I go over the new concept part of the lesson and do the mental math part with her, then she does the problems. I don't do the worksheets very often. It takes us about 15 minutes to do the first part together, and then it takes about 30-45 minutes for her to do the other part.

Could you break up math into 2 sessions? And maybe have her watch the lessons for the next day at night before going to bed? (Depending on how long they are. I have not ever used Saxon math and didn't know there was a DVD until just now...)

Do Math in the morning and again in the evening as the 'last thing' of the day, perhaps?

Sorry, but thats about how long math takes LilGal and we're not using Saxon, or DVD's. She's just S-L-O-W...

Thanks for chiming in ladies. Saxon is so new to us. It's not like she rushed through SM, but she'd be able to do her 100question speed drill, a mental math sheet, one, sometimes two lessons, and a couple CWP questions in an hour. I feel like she's really dragging with Saxon. Ugh. Maybe it's because the book is so darn big and we're just at the beginning of it? :tongue_smilie:

She's only in 4th and I find that 1-1/2 hours of math in 4th is a lot and it *really* cuts into our other subjects.

I guess if we do decide to stick with Saxon it's just something we'll both have to get used to.

We are doing 54 with Teaching Tape dvd's. It takes 45 to an hour. He does it all. First he does the Warm-Ups then The Teaching Tape dvd's teach the exact new concept lesson as it is written then has them pause to do the practice problems then he restarts the video and they check the practice problems. So because TT teaches the lesson I don't have him reread it. He just finishes the mixed practice after that.

This amount of time isn't bad for me because I had alloted an hour with the BJU dvd's for math and it took most of that almost every day. The video was 30 mins alone and then he had times he paused the dvd to work and then independent work after the video.

If we end up taking an hour and a half each day I don't think I'd like it. I personally would try to keep it at an hour and work on her diligence. I know that's harder done than said. I was close to killing me or my son at the first of this school year. He couldn't keep a schedule of any kind. I've worked and worked and worked and worked. :boxing_smiley: He is finally able to keep on a schedule and stay more focused.

There's hope! Don't give up!

I budget 1.5 hours for it because my ds dawdles so. But when he applies himself he has finished in as little as 30 min. Of course, it also depends on the complexity of the new lesson. We do not have the DVD's but he does read the lesson himself and then comes to me with questions if necessary.

I wonder if Saxon takes longer because it takes some time for the brain to switch gears between all of the different types of math problems. It's probably faster to do 30 simplifying fractions problems than to do 30 problems with great variety including geometry and word problems, etc.

Thanks for chiming in ladies. Saxon is so new to us. It's not like she rushed through SM, but she'd be able to do her 100question speed drill, a mental math sheet, one, sometimes two lessons, and a couple CWP questions in an hour. I feel like she's really dragging with Saxon. Ugh. Maybe it's because the book is so darn big and we're just at the beginning of it? :tongue_smilie:

She's only in 4th and I find that 1-1/2 hours of math in 4th is a lot and it *really* cuts into our other subjects.

I guess if we do decide to stick with Saxon it's just something we'll both have to get used to.

I think there is a good chance (if she's not a dawdler) that her time will speed up as she gets further into the book.

Saxon 5/4 takes over an hour here, but I think if you want to shorten it, you could have her do odds or evens on the Mixed Practice some days. Or skip the warmup one or two days. My son loves it, so I'm hoping next year will be the same.

We've used Saxon with all three of our children. We have never used a dvd component, but I've found that the length of time needed for lessons varies from 45 minutes to 1.5 hours depending on the material and the student. The upside to all the hours of Saxon work is that your children will become quick with calculation by the time they finish all the books. This is a definite plus when they take the ACT and SAT. Our sons never used calculators with Saxon, and they didn't use them for the ACT and SAT either. They took them as back up, but both of them said it was faster for them to just keep working problems than to stop to use the calculator.

Btw, since math, composition and reading are the three most important subjects, I've always allowed at least four hours for those subjects. We cover history through reading and writing and add science and foreign language in high school for about six hours of school at that level. Electives are worked in along the way for high school.

FWIW, the local school here uses Saxon...their class time is spent on mental math, lesson and lesson practice. The mixed practice is homework. So, I can see it taking 1-1h 45m for these students.

It EASILY takes us 1.5-2 hours for 5/4. Ds is a slower worker. Every day it is an achievement when math is finished :D

If she were in school, wouldn't she spend 45-50 minutes in class and then have homework?

This is what I was thinking. Most PS students spend more time on math at that level (and up) than 1.5 hours.

I know that all the kids in my family that are in middle school usually have at least 1 hr per night of math homework.

Sorry... :grouphug:

This is what I was thinking. Most PS students spend more time on math at that level (and up) than 1.5 hours.

I know that all the kids in my family that are in middle school usually have at least 1 hr per night of math homework.

Sorry... :grouphug:

This is true. :) But... falls somewhere around reason #78 why I homeschool. ;)

:lol::lol:

I know, math is math and it must get done. I've been surprised with how much longer a lesson of Saxon takes vs. what she got done in SM... Honestly, she's not complaining at all and quite likes Saxon, so I probably need to try not to :toetap05: through the lesson. I guess it buys me a bit more online time in the morning. :tongue_smilie::lol:

This is true. But... falls somewhere around reason #78 why I homeschool. ;)

:lol::lol:

I know, math is math and it must get done. I've been surprised with how much longer a lesson of Saxon takes vs. what she got done in SM... Honestly, she's not complaining at all and quite likes Saxon, so I probably need to try not to :toetap05: through the lesson. I guess it buys me a bit more online time in the morning. :tongue_smilie::lol:

Man, it's way up on my list of reasons. :tongue_smilie: I hated having 40-60 math problems for homework when I was a kid. Most of the time, I simply refused to do it. ;)

We've used Saxon with all three of our children. We have never used a dvd component, but I've found that the length of time needed for lessons varies from 45 minutes to 1.5 hours depending on the material and the student. The upside to all the hours of Saxon work is that your children will become quick with calculation by the time they finish all the books. This is a definite plus when they take the ACT and SAT. Our sons never used calculators with Saxon, and they didn't use them for the ACT and SAT either. They took them as back up, but both of them said it was faster for them to just keep working problems than to stop to use the calculator.

Btw, since math, composition and reading are the three most important subjects, I've always allowed at least four hours for those subjects. We cover history through reading and writing and add science and foreign language in high school for about six hours of school at that level. Electives are worked in along the way for high school.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing this. :)

I don't really remember, but we did 6/5 in 4th grade, and I think it took dd about an hour or so. We did split it up--and we didn't use the dvd, and sometimes didn't need to do all the practice problems, but we did do the whole set, and the mental math/drill stuff, too.

I ended up doing the lesson with her (reading it to her), and then giving her about 10 minutes or so to start the set of problems. After that, she tucked them away until we had finished the rest of our daily work, sometimes coming back to them after dinner, sometimes before, depending on what she had to do that evening and how tired she was. She also went over that work in the am before we started math, to see if she could catch any computation or copy errors. That added about 5 minutes or so, but it was fine b/c it saved time later.

I know what you mean about it dragging--I wanted to continue with our day, so we worked it out this way.

I do think Saxon is wonderful, and iiwy, I wouldn't switch just because it's taking a while. I would consider, tho, not using the dvd's, unless it gives you time to work with another of your kiddos while she's watching.

Interesting. DS is in 54, and I have the first edition book. I've had to slow way down with him, because he started flailing a little. We do odds one day and evens the next. No drill sheets and no dvd. I am still working on cementing math facts, so we do flashcards in the evening. It takes about 30-45 minutes.