Menu

March came in with some GREAT NEWS for me!

In my non-homeschooling life I am a researcher. This morning I opened up my work e-mail and found official notice from the National Institute of Mental Health: they have funded my grant proposal and I can begin work! I am so excited!!

This has been in progress for a while. I submitted the grant last May (well, I submitted it last January and it was rejected; I submitted a revised and improved version in May) and in July the peer reviewers determined that it was an excellent proposal with high significance for public health. But then I waited, and waited, and waited, and waited while the higher-up people at NIH debated their budget and funding priorities.

Now I have three years of funding support for my research, which is HUGE. In this funding climate, particularly, it's a huge deal to have grant money.

I study conspiracy theories about HIV and how they affect the treatment choices of African-Americans with HIV. Previously I've found that people who believe the conspiracy theories are less likely to take HIV medicines and more likely to drop out of treatment. Now I am being funded to develop an intervention to counteract conspiracy theories and help people with HIV commit to medical treatment. If my intervention works, it will help save lives and prevent HIV infections.

I am SO EXCITED. (I figure that I have to specify that, because I'm sure it doesn't show.) :D:D:D

That is Uh-Mazing!!! I am so so proud and happy for you! You go girl!! :party: :hurray: :grouphug::grouphug: