Menu

March came in with some GREAT NEWS for me!

In my non-homeschooling life I am a researcher. This morning I opened up my work e-mail and found official notice from the National Institute of Mental Health: they have funded my grant proposal and I can begin work! I am so excited!!

This has been in progress for a while. I submitted the grant last May (well, I submitted it last January and it was rejected; I submitted a revised and improved version in May) and in July the peer reviewers determined that it was an excellent proposal with high significance for public health. But then I waited, and waited, and waited, and waited while the higher-up people at NIH debated their budget and funding priorities.

Now I have three years of funding support for my research, which is HUGE. In this funding climate, particularly, it's a huge deal to have grant money.

I study conspiracy theories about HIV and how they affect the treatment choices of African-Americans with HIV. Previously I've found that people who believe the conspiracy theories are less likely to take HIV medicines and more likely to drop out of treatment. Now I am being funded to develop an intervention to counteract conspiracy theories and help people with HIV commit to medical treatment. If my intervention works, it will help save lives and prevent HIV infections.

I am SO EXCITED. (I figure that I have to specify that, because I'm sure it doesn't show.) :D:D:D

Wow! That's great! I am SO happy for you.

Amy (procrastinating on the thesis again, but hoping to be a researcher too someday...)

Oh, have I ever been there! I promise that there is life after your thesis and it is much, MUCH better!!

:party::party::party::party:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

What wonderful news! Thank you for your hard work in the field of mental health and HIV treatment and prevention. Both are very noble causes.

Warmly,

astrid

:party::party::party::party:

In my non-homeschooling life I am a researcher. This morning I opened up my work e-mail and found official notice from the National Institute of Mental Health: they have funded my grant proposal and I can begin work! I am so excited!!

This has been in progress for a while. I submitted the grant last May (well, I submitted it last January and it was rejected; I submitted a revised and improved version in May) and in July the peer reviewers determined that it was an excellent proposal with high significance for public health. But then I waited, and waited, and waited, and waited while the higher-up people at NIH debated their budget and funding priorities.

Now I have three years of funding support for my research, which is HUGE. In this funding climate, particularly, it's a huge deal to have grant money.

I study conspiracy theories about HIV and how they affect the treatment choices of African-Americans with HIV. Previously I've found that people who believe the conspiracy theories are less likely to take HIV medicines and more likely to drop out of treatment. Now I am being funded to develop an intervention to counteract conspiracy theories and help people with HIV commit to medical treatment. If my intervention works, it will help save lives and prevent HIV infections.

I am SO EXCITED. (I figure that I have to specify that, because I'm sure it doesn't show.) :D:D:D

It sounds similar to organ donation issues that some cultures have.

"My family member isn't dead. You just want to take his organs and give them to a rich person."

It sounds similar to organ donation issues that some cultures have.

"My family member isn't dead. You just want to take his organs and give them to a rich person."

Yes, definitely similar. If I'm able to develop an effective intervention, it could then be adapted to many different medical situations. I think that's part of the reason why I got funded.

Congratulations !

Pardon my obvious ignorance: What kind of conspiracy theories are you speaking about? I must be really out of it to not know. Sorry, also, if this was already asked as I didn't read every post.

Congratulations !

Pardon my obvious ignorance: What kind of conspiracy theories are you speaking about? I must be really out of it to not know. Sorry, also, if this was already asked as I didn't read every post.

You're not out of it at all, you're probably just not part of a subculture where HIV issues are prominent.

There are two strains of variant belief about HIV.

- HIV denialism, the belief that HIV does not cause AIDS. Some names associated with denialism: the late Christine Maggiore, Peter Duesberg, former South African President Mbeki, and the editor of Mothering magazine. Denialism is usually accompanied by the belief that HIV medicines are poisonous and that a healthy lifestyle and natural/herbal medicines are all anyone needs to be healthy.

Some denialists are quite well-spoken and intelligent, and they've been successful at getting their ideas into public notice - usually by arguing that "fairness" demands that "both sides" be presented, or by hooking themselves into movements with more public acceptance, like alternative medicine. Because of denialists, a lot of people who don't follow HIV have the vague impression that there is some doubt about the cause of AIDS. (There isn't.)

- HIV conspiracy theories, usually the belief that HIV was intentionally created as a form of genocide against "undesirable" people like African-Americans and gay men. Conspiracy theorists often believe that there is a secret cure for HIV that is available to the rich and well-connected. (I hear Magic Johnson mentioned a lot.) They also believe that HIV medicines are poisonous and tend to think that doctors are secretly experimenting on patients and using them as guinea pigs.

HIV conspiracy theorists don't have as much of a public voice as denialists. I'd say this is more of an underground/disadvantaged position.

The population I study (disadvantaged inner-city African-Americans) falls mostly in the second group, although I also see some HIV denialism.