Menu

How do you organize your memory work?

Mommyfaithe

Do you have your kids memorize the same or different pieces?

How do you keep track of who is memorizing what?

How often do you review?

Do you have a separate memory period? Or, do you memorize different things for different subjects and have a memory section for each subject?

What curricula do you use or how do you decide what to memorize?

Anything else I missed?

Thanks,

Faithe

I made a list when I started homeschooling, though I have added and tweaked over the years (for exmaple, when Living Memory came out, I picked up a few new things from it.)

I have a list of poetry in order of increasing difficulty, and dc work(ed) through that individually. Ditto for Bible verses. They work on catechism with dh in the evenings. Everything else we work on as the subject applies to our studies. I do have a memory time, during our daily meeting, but we also review during the appropriate subject area (usually more informally, I like to work things in by asking questions.)

I posted in a recent thread (that thread might be helpful to you) about organizing our work: I use a binder with the memory work printed out and kept in page protectors. I have a chart in the front that tells me what everyone is working on.

I recently had a thread about the very same topic, and this is what I decided to do...

I'm using a plastic file box for index cards. I have them organized by the Simply Charlotte Mason system that was previously mentioned, and I also have the cards color-coded by subject.

So, yesterday for example, I pulled out all the cards in the daily section, the cards in the even numbered section (since it was the 28th) and the cards in the Monday section. Then, we do the memory work for each subject at the beginning of our study time for that subject (i.e. I'm not counting memory work as its own subject and doing it all together). At the end of the day, I put the cards back, a task which was made easier by lightly penciling in on the bottom corner of each card whether it is currently being reviewed daily, or or even days, or Mondays, etc.

When I write this out it sounds complicated, but in reality, it is quite simple!

I have no advice for you on organizing it for multiple children since I only have one child. I guess what I might do is to have a separate file box for each child? Or Angela's binder system would probably work better for a larger family.

I'm pulling some of our memory work from resources we are already using. For example, if she's learning about prepositions in English, we make a list of the most common prepositions and put them on a card. In Latin, we're learning the future tense, so in it goes. I write a prompt on one side of the card, such as "The eight taxonomic levels of biological classification", and then on the back I list "domain, kingdom, phylum, ..." etc. I also bought a used copy of the CC Foundations guide for memory work ideas, and my next purchase will be Living Memory. My plan is to have her write out the memory work on separate paper the first few times we use the card, and then just review orally.

This is all new to us, but it's working well so far.

My kids memorize mostly the same things, but at different times. On any given day, we are all memorizing different things.

For new memory work, I have a memory work binder that contains current and future memory work for all of us. For reviews, each of us has her own Anki deck.

How often do you review?

Do you have a separate memory period? Or, do you memorize different things for different subjects and have a memory section for each subject?

We do memory work daily. We practice new memory work at our morning meeting and as it comes up in subject lessons. We also review our Anki decks daily.

I pull selections from our subject lessons and various poetry resources. Everything ends up in Anki.

My 5 year old has about 150 items scheduled in her Anki deck.

My 7 year old has over 1600 items scheduled in her Anki deck.

It seems like a lot of items, but each item is only one nugget of information, and Anki makes managing the volume of items trivial.

I start them off with the same pieces, but I've been giving my oldest more leeway this year in choosing a few things for herself that she was interested in.

Each one has their own memory box set up SCM style. Behind each tab there are purple cards with Bible verses and pink cards with poems. I also add English grammar or Latin grammar cards now and then when I think they need a bit of extra work.

How often do you review?

Every card starts as daily, then is moved back to odd or even, then once a week, then once a month. Each day they have to review 4 tabs. Today for example was daily, odd, Tuesday, and 1.

A separate memory period for the cards in the box. Latin and Greek vocab we work on separately with that subject.

We don't use curriculum. Our Bible verses have been coming from Sunday School mainly until this year. The girls are using some of the Bible verses from the Bible study, and I add in verses on occasion. For poems, I look through the R&S English books for ideas or I check poetry books out of the library over the summer and write down poems ideas. I told my oldest the other day to look through the poems in CW Poetry for Beginners and see if there are any she is interested in learning. It's a little random, but it works for us.