Menu

Is too much tea unhealthy?

I recently cut out all soda and processed beverages but I don't like to drink water so I've been drinking a lot of tea.

I make decaf iced tea using 3 regular black tea bags and one green tea bag (I don't like the taste of green tea but know it has health benefits) with about 1/2 - 3/4 cup sugar per gallon, put in while its hot so it dissolves better. I make a gallon at a time to store in the fridge and then put 1/2 tea and 1/2 water in a glass when I drink it.

So, pretty much daily I'm drinking:

2 large mugs of regular, fully caffeinated black tea hot in the morning to wake-up.

Probably 3-4 large cups of the diluted decaf iced tea. The gallon lasts about a week.

1-2 large mugs of decaf Earl Grey hot during the evening.

So, is too much tea unhealthy? I'm sure it's better than the multiple cans of soda I used to drink but any suggestions on making my daily tea healthier (without just drinking green tea - yuck)? I like the flavor of regular black teas (Earl Gray, English Breakfast, etc.) and Oolong tea. I'm seeing contradicting advice on what teas are healthiest.

I don't think so (no expert). Dd has been recommended to drink five to seven cups of chammomile tea a day to help her gall bladder and settle her stomach. While she has been VERY calm since starting and using the bathroom frequently, she hasn't had any other adverse reactions. It has helped her feel a lot better.

Thanks, I started to think I traded one of dd's issues for another :p

Dottie... you could start trying to wean the sugar out and cut back on the caffeine. On the side of the box they usually have a comparison chart (coffee, soda, vs tea). See if you're taking in more or less than you were.

Dottie... you could start trying to wean the sugar out and cut back on the caffeine. On the side of the box they usually have a comparison chart (coffee, soda, vs tea). See if you're taking in more or less than you were.

The caffeine is probably close to the same since only the two mugs in the morning are caffeinated and I usually had two cans of caffeinated soda per day. The rest of the time I usually drank Root Beer which is decaf.

I sure I'm doing less sugar now since all the soda was not diet since I stopped the diet because of the artificial sweeteners.

Thank you everyone for responding. I've never had kidney stones (and really do not want to experience that!), I'm not anemic and my thyroid is fine (recently had a bunch of tests done). Moderation does make sense.

I could probably dilute my iced tea even more - 1/4 tea and 3/4 water and still enjoy the taste. Switch to more herbal teas, especially for my decaf cups.

Well this thread wasn't what I thought it would be. Sorry, I don't know anything about this type of tea. :leaving:

:D

Ditto. I thought, "Goodness, no!" :D

Seriously, though, my mom has horrible kidney stones, and the doctor told her to quit drinking tea first thing. She had been drinking 2-3 cups a day since childhood.

Edited by angela in ohio

You might try sweetening with a bit of juice instead of all that table sugar. Another idea is to switch to juice spritzers made with half soda water half juice (or whatever balance of less juice to water you find palatable) at least part of the time.

Tea is high in flouride.

Tea is good for kidney stones...whichis nice. Don't want those. Yikes.

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/phytochemicals/tea/

What is good is the amount of fluids that you consume. The black tea, which is what is in what most of us think of as "tea", can cause kidney stones. It is actually one of the things on the list to avoid if you have ever had a kidney stone. Herbal teas are great for stone formers, but it really just boils down to drinking lots of fluids. My urologist is pretty conservative and reccomends 2 Liters a day, but some reccomend 4 or 5 Liters.

Tea contains tannins which hinder iron absorption, I struggle with this as I love tea and have an iron deficiency, from what I have red though it only causes problems with the iron from veg not meat. But there is tannin in herbal teas too, its not as simple as swapping as some herbal teas are really high in tannins. Nettle tea being an example.

I have heard of an australian tea that is free of tannins and very low in caffeine called Madura tea.

Well this thread wasn't what I thought it would be. Sorry, I don't know anything about this type of tea. :leaving:

Yeah, thought of that after I posted.

Tea is high in flouride.

Here is an article about tea, which does talk about the flouride thing a bit.

Very interesting article.

I guess it's not as straight-forward a question as I thought.

1/2 cup sugar for what works out to be 2 to 2 1/2 gallons of iced tea is a lot?

2 1/2 gallons = 20 - 16 ounce drinks. (16 cups per gallon, 40 cups total, 20 2-cup drinks)

1/2 cup sugar = 16 tbsp. 16 tbsp/20 drinks = .8 tbsp per drink. So, almost a full tblsp per drink. Dang, that is a lot.:tongue_smilie:

I love Good Earth 'Lemongrass' Green Tea. It doesn't have a bitter taste, and in fact tastes sweet (so you might not need as much sugar). I drink it straight, and I'm not much of a tea drinker (but, boy, can I consume the sodas... sigh).

Thank you for the recommendation. I'll give it a try. I don't like regular green tea because of the bitterness and evidently I really need to cut down the sugar. :glare:

Green tea is a no-no for those on blood thinners (like me).

I'm not on a blood thinner, but I am curious. Is it because it actually reacts with the medicine, or is it because green tea will thicken your blood which you obviously don't want if you are on a thinner?

Okay can someone tell me what the "other" meaning of TeA is?

I even searched for it in these forums because I've heard it mentioned before. What in the world does it stand for? lol I have an idea, but I can't figure out the acronym.

Black teas can also affect your thyroid.

ugh, i have hypo and i drink black tea all day (with honey and milk):001_huh: i had heard to stay away from soy (for thyroid), but not black tea.

do you know if there is a direct link, or only for certain people? do you have any more info?

I even searched for it in these forums because I've heard it mentioned before. What in the world does it stand for? lol I have an idea, but I can't figure out the acronym.

s#x

That's what I figured...but what do the letters TeA stand for relating to that topic? lol

Thanks! :)

I could be terribly off base, but I always related the letters to T&A....

ETA, T for b00ks and A for cupcakes :lol:

Edited by lionfamily1999

Tea is high in flouride.

Here is an article about tea, which does talk about the flouride thing a bit.

I love Good Earth 'Lemongrass' Green Tea. It doesn't have a bitter taste, and in fact tastes sweet (so you might not need as much sugar). I drink it straight, and I'm not much of a tea drinker (but, boy, can I consume the sodas... sigh).

ugh, i have hypo and i drink black tea all day (with honey and milk):001_huh: i had heard to stay away from soy (for thyroid), but not black tea.

do you know if there is a direct link, or only for certain people? do you have any more info?

It's the fluoride in tea that affects your thyroid. It's present in green and black teas. At one time tea was given to patients with hyperthyroid. My mom has Hashimoto's. She used to drink lots of very strong tea and had to cut back dramatically.

Tea and Thyroid

Thank you for the recommendation. I'll give it a try. I don't like regular green tea because of the bitterness and

You may be overbrewing it. Green tea shouldn't be made with boiling water and it doesnt take very long. I boil water and pour it in the mug and wait a few minutes, then put tea bag in and brew for a few minutes. I don't measure temperature, though I have seen optimum temps :). Overbrewing releases tannins, which cause bitterness.

You may be overbrewing it. Green tea shouldn't be made with boiling water and it doesnt take very long. I boil water and pour it in the mug and wait a few minutes, then put tea bag in and brew for a few minutes. I don't measure temperature, though I have seen optimum temps :). Overbrewing releases tannins, which cause bitterness.

I'll have to give it a try. I usually make it in the microwave with the tea bag in while it's heating. I don't think it comes to full boil though.

To all of you with dirty minds: ;)

As an "older" mom with two young kids, I wish I was worried about too much tEA.

Here ya go: http://www.welltrainedmind.com:80/forums/showthread.php?t=55527 . Hope you have lots of time to read it.

I don't know but I have been drinking about half a gallon of unsweetened ice tea since, well, as long as I can remember and I don't have any health problems that I can relate to that. No thyroid issues, blood issues, only one kidney stone my whole life. I did try to give it up after the kidney stone but I found that I couldn't drink near the volumn of water than I was consuming in tea. I make it very weak and without sugar so it is mostly flavored water and I feel ok about it.