Menu

Feeling called to homeschool

Guest zobemum

Guest zobemum

Hi there so I have four kids . Three of them have been attending a classical school one who will be starting next year. I am 100 pages into the well trained mind. Here is my question. Is anyone using veritas press exclusively and does it really coincide with the well trained mind. There are so many posts I did not read through just thought I would throw it out there. Those of you who like to share share away please. I am open.

best,

Kelli

We use VP for most of our subjects. I think it tracks very close to what the WTM recommends in classical education. We do some VP self paced, some online with their VP scholars academy, and some at home with the books and a schedule that I create (although, VP will also provide you a schedule for a small fee).

Subjects that are non-VP for us are KB algebra, Rosetta Stone Russian and Japanese, Bright Minds/Critical Thinking Company computer games (Editor in Chief, Detectives series, etc...) and Suzuki violin. I really can't say enough great things about VP and we have had very good experiences up to this point.:001_smile:

I'm not using VP, though I love their catalog and have used some of their materials- because I knew I was to scattered to pull it off. Now that they have schedules all done for you, I confess I wish I could start over and do their schedules. Some of their reading selections looked a bit over the top, age wise, but as homeschoolers we are always free to substitute with a better fit.

if you get a chance, see if you can get your hands on it in person.

welcome to the boards! :D

WTM divides history up into 4 time periods, which you then cycle through 3 times over the course of 12 years. For the elementary years (grades 2-6), VP has history broken up over 5 years. For grades 7-12, the history cycle is 3 years and you go through it twice. So you do go through history 3 times in each program, but the timing and flow is a little different. We're on our first year of using VP and loving their products so far.

Edited by HLDoll
clarification

I've bought a few of their products, also. I have a friend who uses their curricula and is happy with it. Their LA/writing is very expensive (and I'm considering using IEW for middle school).

The Peace Hill Press curricula is really good.

Have you seen My Father's World? They're sorta classical - but with some unit studies thrown in.

Another good book is Cathy Duffy's Top 100 Curricula Picks. She talks about kids' learning styles and how a curriculum might not be compatible with each kid.

Good luck!! :001_smile:

I used VP's history during our first cycle through history. I love the cards (still have them and will use them again). I also liked breaking history into 5 years and the emphasis on American history that is absent in many world hisotry programs. The workbooks are pretty dry actually. I tired of the rote questions asked over and over again. I ended up pulling together lots of living books, read alouds, hands-on projects, etc.

We haven't used Omnibus as my dc are in an outside lit tutorial. I will probably incorporate the VP cards for a 5-year cycle through history with my youngest two.

HTH,

Lisa