Menu

How to pay a big medical bill

I have a big medical bill. It has gone through insurance and a big chunk was paid, but a large chunk still remains. I don't have the money to pay it in one check. I could pay it in 3 checks. Do I call them and tell them and try to work out a plan? Do I just pay what I can and wait for a further bill? 5 days after I received the bill, I got a 8 am call from them asking me where the money was. I already had a call in to my insurance company (was waiting for a call back to clarify something on the bill) so they put a note to that effect in my file but 3 days later I have another bill. What do you suggest? (I want to do whatever will be best for my credit. I have no problem paying this - just can't do it in one lump payment.)

Definitely call and ask them. When my dh had a very large medical bill last year, I called and asked if they'd reduce it if I paid it in full. I heard that worked for some. It didn't work, but she told me that I could take up to a year to pay for it if I needed as long as monthly payments were made.

So, definitely call. I'd start by asking if they could reduce the bill at all. It's worth a try - right?

I have a big medical bill. It has gone through insurance and a big chunk was paid, but a large chunk still remains. I don't have the money to pay it in one check. I could pay it in 3 checks. Do I call them and tell them and try to work out a plan? Do I just pay what I can and wait for a further bill? 5 days after I received the bill, I got a 8 am call from them asking me where the money was. I already had a call in to my insurance company (was waiting for a call back to clarify something on the bill) so they put a note to that effect in my file but 3 days later I have another bill. What do you suggest? (I want to do whatever will be best for my credit. I have no problem paying this - just can't do it in one lump payment.)

I would ask about a payment plan. I know hospitals do this.:grouphug:

Call the hospital and make payment arrangements.

I would take their best offer, or make a longer term payment arrangement, rather than telling them you will pay it off in 3 payments.

This is because if something unforeseen happens, you won't have to go back to the well. If you pay it off earlier, as you anticipate doing, no one will squawk.

I would call and just tell them what you are capable of paying each month. With medical bills, they are usually willing to work with what you offer. There have been times when all we could afford was 5-10% of the bill each month and they were just happy to be paid something instead of not being paid.

Definitely call and ask for a payment plan. Your credit can be affected unless you have a payment plan authorized by the billing party, even if you've paid a portion.

Yes, but if there is ANYWAY you can come up with some cash now (even credit card) they will almost always give you a discount to pay it off now. They know their chances are slim of collecting such a debt in full anyway, so they would like to have one in the hand ya know. (not saying YOU wouldn't pay your bill...just the statistic).

My mom has had GREAT success with this approach. She once got 40% discount on the remainder of a $1500 MRI bill after insurance paid.

I've asked for discount to pay in full and received up to 25% off.

We have had some large medical bills. My friend who works at a hospital told me to write a letter saying how much I could pay i.e. $50 a month, and send a check. If they cashed the checked that constituted that they accept my terms and my payment amount and as long as I paid that amount every month on time that couldn't put it on my credit.

Definitely call. I would be SHOCKED if they dinged your credit so long as you let them know what you are doing, make payments at least once a month, and make serious progress. Paying it off in less than 3ish months is great. I am sure they'll be nice about it. DO CALL!

I don't know if this applies everywhere or if it is state-specific. But in the states where I've lived, as long as you make a payment of any amount every 28 days, you cannot be reported for not paying medical bills. Hospitals and some doctors will try to get you to sign a payment agreement, because then you have a loan agreement rather than a medical bill, and they can report you for not paying according to the terms of a loan agreement. When I've had medical bills that I couldn't pay all at once, I have always "lost" any loan agreement I was asked to sign and just paid what I could every month. When I've had to talk to someone on the phone about the bill, I've simply told them that I can't pay it all at once and I will make monthly payments until it's paid in full. I might just be lucky, but no-one has ever been rude to me about it.

Call the hospital and make payment arrangements.

I would take their best offer, or make a longer term payment arrangement, rather than telling them you will pay it off in 3 payments.

This is because if something unforeseen happens, you won't have to go back to the well. If you pay it off earlier, as you anticipate doing, no one will squawk.

:iagree: I'd hate to see you spread yourself so thin and then have something unexpected come up. I'm sure there will be payment plans to make this a little easier on the budget.

I believe hospitals will work out a plan. I know doctors will -- even the most minimum payment per month is enough to be considered a "good faith" effort to pay. However if it's a doctor you need to return to, many will want that bill paid in full before a return visit, whether it be next year or whatever.

I worked out a payment plan for our hospital bill. I requested assistance and they came back to me and offered a two year payment plan. They also told me that medical bills can be reported to an agency to harass you to keep paying but they hold out quite a long time before they actual send it to debt collection.

I also had heard that if you try and make one lump cash payment that some medical bills will write off the rest. I gave it a good try and it was a no go for us :glare:

I have surgery upcoming and when they called to tell me what portion of the cost insurance would *not* cover, the rep could tell I was shocked and dismayed.

"You can set up a payment plan right there, that day," she said. "They do it all the time."

I've heard that when it comes to medical debts, as long as you pay something - anything - each month, they take it and don't... whaddaya call it, not foreclose...you know what I mean.

Jean, first call the hospital and ask if you can have a discount. It is hard to ask but often hospitals will give you a break if they see you need it. Not everybody knows this, but this is what we had to do after DS was born, and again after he was hospitalized this past fall (he's OK now).

Then ask if you can have a payment plan.

Then, ask if any charges are still pending with your insurance. Mine, for example, takes ages to respond to anything and I get billed in the meantime.