Menu

Need advice for how to teach planning to an 11 year old.

I need some advice for how to teach planning -- the more detailed you can make it, the easier it will be on me to do it. (Yes, I know I'm lazy.) I need my ds (11) to take more initiative in planning his lessons. He would need to learn to:

1. figure out what assignments need to be done in a week
  2. follow assignments and meet deadlines
  3. plan out his daily and weekly lessons in writing
  4. explain his lesson plan to his father

#4 is important because dh teaches one or two days a week. I am drowning under overcommitment and feeling like I'm on the verge of burning out. If something doesn't give, then something's got to go. I would rather relinquish the burden of the planning than the alternative.

Step one might be to teach him how to use a planner. I thought these were intuitive until I sat down my DS and told him to plan out his lessons for the week. I had to walk him thru filling it out a few times before it clicked.

Once DS was proficient with his planner, he would fill it out on Sunday afternoon and get it approved by me. Then, DS would check off each assignment as he completed it and I would check them that they were completed. I also helped him set up a spot for his completed assignments so he could produce them quickly when it came time to check them.

It worked pretty smoothly once we got rolling<though we could never skip that "approval" step or we would find out later in the week that DS had missed something.

This is probably a dumb question but do any of your curricula have suggested schedules in them? Or do they have a set number of lesson in the book or chapters?

Is it mainly scheduling that you are asking about? I may not be getting this since we used K12 which spelled it out in terms of the the lesson schedule. Some subjects were daily and others were 2-3 times a week. I guess I am not sure what you are asking since when we do homeschooling next year without K12 I plan on seeing how many chapters or lessons or books and dividing them up to last a school year or so.:blush: This is from someone who used to write lesson plan in detail for critical care courses. :001_huh:

There are homeschool scheduling programs I believe such as homeschool tracker and I think some curricula spell it all out for you but I am thinking I am not understanding your questions...

This is probably a dumb question but do any of your curricula have suggested schedules in them? Or do they have a set number of lesson in the book or chapters?

Is it mainly scheduling that you are asking about? I may not be getting this since we used K12 which spelled it out in terms of the the lesson schedule. Some subjects were daily and others were 2-3 times a week. I guess I am not sure what you are asking since when we do homeschooling next year without K12 I plan on seeing how many chapters or lessons or books and dividing them up to last a school year or so.:blush: This is from someone who used to write lesson plan in detail for critical care courses. :001_huh:

There are homeschool scheduling programs I believe such as homeschool tracker and I think some curricula spell it all out for you but I am thinking I am not understanding your questions...

Not a dumb question at all. We are using Oak Meadow as our primary curriculum, with some supplements (in my sig line). It doesn't spell out the weekly lessons quite as clearly as other programs. For grade 6 history, it does have the Day 1 reading and assigments and Day 2, etc. But, he would still need to plan out the assignments there. The science is less clear as there are no specified readings per day and there is always at least one large project for the week. There are also projects that carry on over a series of weeks.

Math is fairly straightforward, I think. If you do lesson 67 one day, then lesson 68 is obviously next. The same is true with the spelling and grammar we use. He just needs to learn how to keep track of everything, and how to plan the assignments so they are completed on time.

Then there is his Latin, which is not at all intuitive to plan. I could keep planning that, I suppose, or work with him on planning it, but the question remains.... how do I teach him these skills? I'm not even sure what skills he needs to have before he tackles planning.

Is the work pre-determined or is it child-driven to some extent? If it's predetermined - as in, he just has to finish his math book and do every problem, end of story, then I don't know if it's a good idea to have him do his own lessons. Why not just divide it up and set it out that it has to be done by a certain time. You can still have your dh check the work, but if it's just an exercise in division and he doesn't really have much control over it, it might be a frustrating process. On the other hand, if he can set goals and then try to meet those goals - within some framework that you agree upon in advance - then you might get some buy in and it might run more smoothly. I don't know... I'm just thinking here. That's a LOT of executive functioning for an 11 yo.

I've been asking the same question myself recently (except for 12yo and 14yo girls) for the same reason (feeling a bit -total understatement- overwhelmed and recognizing that my kids can help alleviate some of this burden). I came across this blog post about weekly assignment planning and am planning on trying it here. Maybe you will find it useful as well.

To help my girls (and I) transition, I think that for a while I am going to list exactly what has to be done each week and let them decide when to do it. Then I will take the more general approach outlined in the post.

I also had the realization this morning that I could begin to turn over my 14yo's planner to her. I have a Google calendar for each person in our family, and I'm thinking of turning hers over to her with me having access and the ability to add, edit, and delete appointments so that she can learn how to keep a calendar and work around the schedules of everyone else in the family.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. I can use all the help I can get! :001_smile:

Not a dumb question at all. We are using Oak Meadow as our primary curriculum, with some supplements (in my sig line). It doesn't spell out the weekly lessons quite as clearly as other programs. For grade 6 history, it does have the Day 1 reading and assigments and Day 2, etc. But, he would still need to plan out the assignments there. The science is less clear as there are no specified readings per day and there is always at least one large project for the week. There are also projects that carry on over a series of weeks.

Math is fairly straightforward, I think. If you do lesson 67 one day, then lesson 68 is obviously next. The same is true with the spelling and grammar we use. He just needs to learn how to keep track of everything, and how to plan the assignments so they are completed on time.

Then there is his Latin, which is not at all intuitive to plan. I could keep planning that, I suppose, or work with him on planning it, but the question remains.... how do I teach him these skills? I'm not even sure what skills he needs to have before he tackles planning.

Well, one step that I might suggest is to have him sit with you when you do each week's planning to watch what goes into it. In other words, make him help with thinking through things like holidays, dr appointments, field trips, etc.

Also, don't feel like it has to be all you or all him. Start handing over what you can, like the Saxon math (maybe you just schedule the tests and have him plan the lessons in between).

I put a comment on the other thread about using tables of contents to schedule math.