Menu

Vent: Why does this homeschool group keep doing this

We just moved, so I'm still getting connected with local homeschoolers.

I found references to a couple email groups. Joined one that is focused on our county (vs. another one that is for a much wider region).

It seems like every time someone new joins the group and introduces themselves as a potential homeschooler that someone jumps in and suggests that they join the other group because it is so much more active. Every single time.

Good grief folks. There are over 300 people on this county wide list. How about just chatting about homeschooling instead of sending everyone somewhere else? I wouldn't mind the referral to the other group so much if it came along with a "hi, nice to meet you" message. But it seems like it's just a don't bother with over here response.

The group we left in Japan had a tenth of the members and we had no problem with answering questions and giving suggestions.

Goodness.

Have you asked them if they are consciously trying to turn away new members? Sounds odd to me.

Since it doesn't really represent a group that meets so much as just an email list of homeschoolers in an area, I've not brought it up. It is possibly intended to be helpful (Hey, there's a lot more homeschooler action in this other list. Join it too.)

And the folks who have been making the referrals have helpfully pointed out that the other groups isn't really about unschooling, even though that is in their name*. But I wonder if they know how it comes off?

It just seems a little unhelpful and maybe even rude.

*However, I think a reply I made on the "unschooler" list that mentioned WTM was what prompted a poster to mention that some homeschoolers are academically rigid. Yep, guess that's us.:lol:

I thought the term was "anal" - at least that was what I was called.:glare:

Yup, that'd be me. I made the older kids redo a writing assignment because they didn't follow the directions. OKish results, but they failed to learn the process being taught. So they were provided with a second opportunity to excel.

Since it doesn't really represent a group that meets so much as just an email list of homeschoolers in an area, I've not brought it up. It is possibly intended to be helpful (Hey, there's a lot more homeschooler action in this other list. Join it too.)

And the folks who have been making the referrals have helpfully pointed out that the other groups isn't really about unschooling, even though that is in their name*. But I wonder if they know how it comes off?

It just seems a little unhelpful and maybe even rude.

*However, I think a reply I made on the "unschooler" list that mentioned WTM was what prompted a poster to mention that some homeschoolers are academically rigid. Yep, guess that's us.:lol:

Good grief. :001_huh:

Yup, that'd be me. I made the older kids redo a writing assignment because they didn't follow the directions. OKish results, but they failed to learn the process being taught. So they were provided with a second opportunity to excel.

What? :svengo: You mean they didn't learn on their own from what they did write? That wasn't adequate? You're so...so...Academically Rigid!

The cynical (and homeschool group experienced) side of me says that those who are posting are probably in charge of the other group. :D

Hard to say. They are all just names on an email at the moment. And since the list isn't really tied to a particular IRL group, will probably stay mostly names.

My response has pretty much been to post some kind of a welcome reply to all of the new posts. I'll either be helpful or branded as a troublemaker.